could be used as a girls name?

(49 Posts)
toni1bump Sat 20-Jul-13 14:32:56

OK. So im PG with a girl, my first child - very excited!

We were going to name her Alyssa as we both love it. But my DHs best friend has recently traumatically passed away and DH and i were thinking about using his name as a remembrance/respect kind of thing.

His name was Bailey --
I cant decide whether its nice when used as a girls name or not? my mum mentioned maybe changing the spelling to Bailea -- but not sure on that either!

I love the name and the sound but not sure what others would think??
advice please! and be as kind as poss! lol

I always think of myself has my first name and my two middle names. But I'm also my first name and my married name. Its like that's who I am, and the three names make me unique. If that makes sense.

toni1bump Sat 20-Jul-13 15:23:52

thats a nice was of thinking about it smile

i deffinately want Alyssa and Bailey. but then DH still wants Rose. so looks like it could be a 4 named-name!!
would be so much easier if i was having twins! :P x

toni1bump Sat 20-Jul-13 15:24:03

nice way* oops x

tigerlilyboo21 Sat 20-Jul-13 18:06:29

I think Alyssa Bailey Rose Ashworth is a beautiful name and not a mouthful at all!

I don't have any middle names and I was always envious of people who did. I agree with fanjodisfunction, I think having two middle names adds something unique to a person, especially if their first name is potentially quite a popular name at the time. (Although I haven't met any Alyssa's or Bailey's for that matter so not that you'd have a problem there!)

Whatever combination you decide sounds lovely though! smile

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Sat 20-Jul-13 18:09:18

I wouldn't normally go for Bailey, but Alyssa Bailey Rose does sound lovely

TruJay Sat 20-Jul-13 18:20:07

My sis has 4 names and one is her dad's name, not changed to sound more girly at all and that was all the more special, esp to her as he died just before she was 2, she loves having that as a connection. No-one has every commented on 4 names being too much, only questions about where the male name comes from out of curiosity really.

And when do we ever use people's middle names when addressing them anyway, her friends are hardly gonna be shouting all 4 names across the playground and the ones u have chosen all flow lovely together, go for it! X

JumpingJackSprat Sat 20-Jul-13 18:24:31

Alyssa bailey rose is gorgeous i prefer alyssa to bailey as a first name but altogether its probably one of the best names ive seen on here smile

PeriodFeatures Sat 20-Jul-13 18:57:27

I know a female Bailey.

toni1bump Sat 20-Jul-13 19:13:55

Aww thankyou everyone! smile! Glad you all approve! I knew id get the truth on here!!! Lol x

GW297 Sat 20-Jul-13 22:11:25

I've taught a Baileigh (girl)

Choccyhobnob Mon 22-Jul-13 13:53:49

I know a Bayleigh-Rose but Alyssa Bailey Rose Ashworth is a lot nicer!

toni1bump Mon 22-Jul-13 13:56:14

Thankyou! smile its decided now. Just not telling my family yet!! They will try and put me off lol. 19 weeks left til shes here anyway! :p

RoadToTuapeka Mon 22-Jul-13 14:02:28

Bailey is lovely for a girl; Bailea is ghastly and just makes me want to say it oddly, and looks awful written down.

PistachioTruffle Mon 22-Jul-13 14:31:52

Alyssa Bailey Rose Ashworth is lovely, I don't have any middle names and was always really jealous of those who did - I'm giving DCs middle names!

Maud2011 Mon 22-Jul-13 14:41:51

Bailey sounds good as a middle name.

Please not Bailea!

Backpaw Mon 22-Jul-13 14:51:08

I know a couple of american women called Baily/Bailey.

toni1bump Mon 22-Jul-13 15:05:40

Id never heard of it.as a girls untill i posted this! Im happy now :p x

NowPlayingZone Tue 23-Jul-13 13:03:43

Am really bored of the name rose, but in this case Alyssa Bailey rose Ashworth sounds lovely.

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 23-Jul-13 13:08:14

Bailey is not my personal taste, but totally fine for a girl or boy. The only one I know is female (and lovely).

I'd go with Alyssa Bailey.

Not Bailea though. Reminds me of Dairylea. grin

ThatsSoVanquish Tue 23-Jul-13 13:25:18

I think it is OK as a first name for a girl, I have met a girl called Baily before. Agree to stick to that spelling rather than Bailea.

Also works really well with Alyssa and Ashworth as a middle name. Also with Rose. I think I prefer it as a middle name with Alyssa as first name.

ThatsSoVanquish Tue 23-Jul-13 13:25:59

sorry that was i have met a girl called Bailey.

toni1bump Tue 23-Jul-13 15:10:44

Crazy thing happened today! I met a girl called Bailey!! Haha! Never met one in my life -- strange coincidence!

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 23-Jul-13 16:04:00

It's nice as a surname. It's awful as a first name on male or female.

toni1bump Tue 23-Jul-13 16:41:24

Its middle name anyhow smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now