Veto on Dora cause of Dora the explorer

(60 Posts)
Whatwhatwhat Fri 19-Jul-13 21:21:42

I thought we were happily settled on Dora.
Husband now says he wants to veto it cause some pals of his launched in to a song about Dora the Explorer when they heard it was on the cards (why it was up for discussion I don't know)

Anyway he says now it'd be a curse of a name akin to calling a child Barney and would be met too often with a reference to Dora the explorer.

I honestly don't think so but I'm open to advice.

formicadinosaur Tue 13-Aug-13 21:04:07

Cara?

womma Tue 13-Aug-13 19:47:53

My DD is also called Dora. People sometimes say 'like Dora the explorer?' but not very much, and when they say that she says 'no'

If you like the name, don't let a cartoon character put you off, it's neither here nor there. It's a great name, and she's the only one where we live, so there's never any confusion. Go for it OP!

Mollie272 Mon 22-Jul-13 18:21:56

My DD1 (nearly 7) is called Dora. Lots of people make reference to DTE, especially when meeting her for the first time, but she doesn't really care.
I'm certainly not sorry that we went with it - I still love it.

FetaCheeny Sun 21-Jul-13 17:03:53

Use Theadora or Isadora, both beautiful names. This means
you can call her Dora and if she doesn't like it as she gets older she can be Thea, Izzy, or use her full name. Problem solved.

Champagnebubble Sun 21-Jul-13 15:23:16

I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if someone else has said this.....

How about Isadora? Dora for short at home?

Whatwhatwhat Sun 21-Jul-13 13:16:20

Flora is nice alright.

oohdaddypig Sun 21-Jul-13 11:49:33

I was mulling this last night (what an exciting life I have)

I decided that if I was in your shoes I would opt for Theodora, shortened to thea, which IMHO is a beautiful name. Still leaves the door(a) open for Dora too.

I also love flora....

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 21-Jul-13 11:28:28

Sofia

I am sorry. I didn't mean to offend.

If i had had a girl, Constance/ Connie would have been a strong contender, because itvwas my grandmother's name. I doubt I would have been put off it, though I am sure some people don't like it.

LittlePandaBear Sun 21-Jul-13 09:52:43

I think these names have a similar feel:

Flora
Rosa
Laura
Marnie
Matilda

Whatwhatwhat Sun 21-Jul-13 08:48:00

I think that with such strong sentiment against I'd be a bit foolish to plough on with it.
Any alternatives? Given I like that name.

Onyabike Sun 21-Jul-13 08:25:31

I do think SofiaAmes' reason to use the name is different as she was using the name after a family member who clearly was much loved, hence three girls with similar names within the same generation from the same family (wow, she must have been an amazing woman! My Gma was also dearly loved, but all of us drew the line at using Bertha for our DDs!!)

Despite the family connection, her dd still says she wants to change her name, which I realise many kids may say during their childhood, but her feelings must stem from the teasing she's had. SofiaAmes didn't choose the name in itself, but because of the amazing person she associated it with!

For most of us, whether you like it or not, the first association that comes to mind is DtE, so you have to decide if you (or more importantly your dd) can live with the constant references to it or not!

SofiaAmes Sun 21-Jul-13 07:09:44

Absolutely no regrets. However, I adored my grandmother and was going to name my first daughter after her no matter what, so maybe I'm a little biased. Three of my cousins named their children after her too, so there are 3 girls in my dd's generation named dorotea, doratea and dorothy. I call my dd dora, one cousin calls her dd tea and the third one used the full name of dorothy. My grandmother's nickname was dottie and dd's father often calls her that and she loves it.

KittenofDoom Sun 21-Jul-13 00:33:27

Pandora, that's another one. (Not a favourite of mine, but that's irrelevant here.)

If you give her Theodora YOU might only call her Dora but she might decide to go by Thea. Might be nice to give her the option in the event she is teased I suppose.

I really like the name but agree that DtE is a HUGE and long running show.

Whatwhatwhat Sun 21-Jul-13 00:14:42

I know. I can't ignore the cartoon. Hence the problem

scottishmummy Sun 21-Jul-13 00:09:32

But the cartoon does exist,so you got to decide is that in itself a deterrent
Fwiw,I like Dora
But I do immediately associate it as Dora explorer

Whatwhatwhat Sat 20-Jul-13 23:56:22

It's a v strong beautiful name IMO.

If only that little cartoon didn't exist!!

peachypips Sat 20-Jul-13 21:47:20

Dora is brill on my Gma- and she is 90!

KittenofDoom Sat 20-Jul-13 20:48:34

"Not a name that will grow up well with a child"?
Why ever not? It's a name that suits any age. Much more so than the Tillys and Millies that seem to be everywhere.

Personally I tend to associate it with the (now very aged) actress Dora Bryan.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sat 20-Jul-13 20:37:41

Sorry, i think it's not a pretty, or strong name, or a name that will grow up well with a child.

And i agree that, since it's an unusual name, strongly associated with a character, i'd avoid.

Whatwhatwhat Sat 20-Jul-13 17:52:11

Sofiaames - do you really have no regrets so?

SofiaAmes Sat 20-Jul-13 17:26:10

I just want to clarify. My dd doesn't hate the name Dora. She's just in a phase where she wants a different name. I suspect that she could have any name and would still want a different, more glamorous one. She did get teased a little about the name, but I have no regrets about giving it (she is named after my beloved grandmother). I am also sure that she will grow to love the name again and there will be no long lasting scarring from the teasing as Dora the Explorer is a sympathetic character. (who is very well known all over the world, in my experience)

Whatwhatwhat Sat 20-Jul-13 16:21:41

I've got 6 weeks to go.
I understand the advice to go for Theodora etc but we'd only ever call her Dora and so we might as well name her that. So using one of those doesn't solve the problem unfortunately.
I know people called Dora so for me it's not really that unusual a name.

Onyabike Sat 20-Jul-13 15:55:06

I understand your frustration OP, particularly given that you thought you'd found "the" name.

With most name suggestions I would usually advise that you should go with what you love and ignore what others think as name preferences are such a personal thing. However, because Dora is not a name you generally come across, the association with the cartoon is much stronger. I would therefore have to agree with your husband that it would be one that I would suggest you avoid for your DD's sake.

Choosing names is such a massive responsibility as there's so much to take into account. Have you got long to go before dd arrives?

EatYourCrusts Sat 20-Jul-13 15:32:40

It is a nice name. Dora the Explorer is a nice character.

Zola is right, choose something 'safer' and next year they could invent Stinky Grace the Smelliest Girl in the World, which could become the biggest hit since Mickey Mouse.

You never know!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now