Veto on Dora cause of Dora the explorer

(60 Posts)
Whatwhatwhat Fri 19-Jul-13 21:21:42

I thought we were happily settled on Dora.
Husband now says he wants to veto it cause some pals of his launched in to a song about Dora the Explorer when they heard it was on the cards (why it was up for discussion I don't know)

Anyway he says now it'd be a curse of a name akin to calling a child Barney and would be met too often with a reference to Dora the explorer.

I honestly don't think so but I'm open to advice.

Whatwhatwhat Sun 21-Jul-13 08:48:00

I think that with such strong sentiment against I'd be a bit foolish to plough on with it.
Any alternatives? Given I like that name.

LittlePandaBear Sun 21-Jul-13 09:52:43

I think these names have a similar feel:

Flora
Rosa
Laura
Marnie
Matilda

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 21-Jul-13 11:28:28

Sofia

I am sorry. I didn't mean to offend.

If i had had a girl, Constance/ Connie would have been a strong contender, because itvwas my grandmother's name. I doubt I would have been put off it, though I am sure some people don't like it.

oohdaddypig Sun 21-Jul-13 11:49:33

I was mulling this last night (what an exciting life I have)

I decided that if I was in your shoes I would opt for Theodora, shortened to thea, which IMHO is a beautiful name. Still leaves the door(a) open for Dora too.

I also love flora....

Whatwhatwhat Sun 21-Jul-13 13:16:20

Flora is nice alright.

Champagnebubble Sun 21-Jul-13 15:23:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FetaCheeny Sun 21-Jul-13 17:03:53

Use Theadora or Isadora, both beautiful names. This means
you can call her Dora and if she doesn't like it as she gets older she can be Thea, Izzy, or use her full name. Problem solved.

Mollie272 Mon 22-Jul-13 18:21:56

My DD1 (nearly 7) is called Dora. Lots of people make reference to DTE, especially when meeting her for the first time, but she doesn't really care.
I'm certainly not sorry that we went with it - I still love it.

womma Tue 13-Aug-13 19:47:53

My DD is also called Dora. People sometimes say 'like Dora the explorer?' but not very much, and when they say that she says 'no'

If you like the name, don't let a cartoon character put you off, it's neither here nor there. It's a great name, and she's the only one where we live, so there's never any confusion. Go for it OP!

formicadinosaur Tue 13-Aug-13 21:04:07

Cara?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now