Does it sound too American?

(22 Posts)
superdupermama Thu 18-Jul-13 15:07:19

I like the name Eliza, but apparently it is pronounced as E-lye-zah, which sounds American to me for some reason. Is that right?

Also, would it be odd to pronounce it as E-lee-za, as the first part of the name Elizabeth?

Thanks!

shoobidoo Thu 18-Jul-13 15:09:57

What would be wrong with 'American' confused?

MikeLitoris Thu 18-Jul-13 15:11:07

Not sure how it sounds american?

I have an Eliza.

superdupermama Thu 18-Jul-13 15:15:51

Nothing wrong with American, it's just the ee sound is more English to me, and the ye sound is more American. That's why I am asking, is that right, or nonsense?

elQuintoConyo Thu 18-Jul-13 15:19:10

I've always presumed it is pronounced el-eyes-a.

Not sure about the 'too American' comment, would that be such a bad thing?

Having said that, I have taught English to a charming Spanish fellow called Kevin Costner de Jesus grin

cantdoalgebra Thu 18-Jul-13 15:20:48

If you call a child Eliza and then pronounce it E-lee-zah, that child will spend its entire life correcting people.

LongTailedTit Thu 18-Jul-13 15:21:59

Eliza Doolittle = My Fair Lady = thoroughly British!

If you try to pronounce it El-ee-za you'll spend her whole life hearing it El-eye-za.

LongTailedTit Thu 18-Jul-13 15:22:42

X-post cant !

FunnysInLaJardin Thu 18-Jul-13 15:23:14

I always think of it as a very British names and also really like it. It was on our girls list

superdupermama Thu 18-Jul-13 15:32:26

Thanks for your comments ladies. I didn't mean "american" in any negative way btw.

Choccyhobnob Thu 18-Jul-13 15:52:11

Was going to say you don't get any more British than Eliza Doolittle! Don't think it's American at all!

shoobidoo Thu 18-Jul-13 18:48:32

In German you'd pronounce Elise and Elisa/Eliza as EL-EEZ or EL-EEZA just like Elisabeth = El-EEZA-BETH, but I think most English speakers wouldn't.

twinklestar2 Thu 18-Jul-13 19:52:05

I know an Aliza pn Eleeza, if you want an alternative spelling? she's Turkish.

squoosh Thu 18-Jul-13 20:12:28

I've only ever heard this name pronounced El-eye-za and it always sounds very Victorian England to me.

El-ee-za would be a day to day headache, 'oh actually it's not pronounced the usual way it's pronounced . . . . . . '

forevergreek Thu 18-Jul-13 20:14:45

Eliza- e-lye-za

ELISA- e-lee-sa

ShabbyButNotChic Thu 18-Jul-13 21:04:06

I know a greek eliza (eh-lee-za)... She gets called e-ly-za

KnittedC Thu 18-Jul-13 21:14:39

I know an Elysa pronounced the way you want it (El-ee-sah), how about that?

Zyngaling Fri 19-Jul-13 18:47:30

Eliza doesn't sound American, but if you were expecting people to pronounce it eleeza, I think that'd be like pushing water uphill.

MissingMyMarbles Fri 19-Jul-13 19:01:01

I know an Elisa, pronounced e-lee-sah. Would that work for you?

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 19-Jul-13 23:40:17

It just is Ee-lie-sah isn't it?

I've never heard any British person pronounce it any other way.

I have always said El-ee-zuh.

mathanxiety Sat 20-Jul-13 20:03:15

yy to Eliza Doolittle. I have actually never heard of any other pronunciation or the name Eliza. (Eh-lye-za) I would not consider that pronunciation anything but standard English and it is pronounced that way in America too but that is irrelevant. Americans pronounce Peter and Michael and Elizabeth, etc., just the same as Brits do after all.

I know an Irish-Italian Elisa (el-ee-sa)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now