Girly names....Clover?

(68 Posts)
GiveMeVegemite Wed 17-Jul-13 10:42:11

I like unique, but girly names. I did like Lola, but have seen it completely overused and am now pretty off it.

What are your thoughts on Clover? Does it sound like a horse's name? Or a leprechaun? Another suggestions for girly, but different names?

callow Thu 18-Jul-13 16:23:16

Clodagh is similar.

Dillydollydaydream Thu 18-Jul-13 16:25:49

Not overly keen on Clover. In our local paper on the birth announcements I saw someone named their baby Tulip!

oohdaddypig Thu 18-Jul-13 16:29:32

I like clover! You will get lots of moo-ing though.

But who cares if you like it!

I work with a trixie - it's really grown on me.

Mhysa Thu 18-Jul-13 16:31:17

I love cutesy names, but after asking options on here, I decided DD2 would still be called a cutesy name, but as a NN, just incase, it gives the person options, so my DD is an Elizabeth, NN Betsy also her middle name is Jean, so saved her a life time of BJ jokes wink

Don't agree with the cow/rabbit/butter opinions, I think it totally works as a name, to at all masculine either.

Daddoinghisbest Love Trixie Matilda, sounds very vintage smile I would use Beatrix Matilda though.

Laquila Thu 18-Jul-13 16:39:30

Callow - Clodagh is gorgeous. Also Clody as a nickname.

Shoobidoo I guess because I don't know any men (or indeed anyone!) called Rover, Grover or Glover, I don't even particularly think of them as real names, let alone men's names. More like dogs' names to mesmile

Onetwo34 Thu 18-Jul-13 16:44:03

I really like Clover and I can't believe so many people here think it is a cow name! I was another child WKD fan though! Maybe that's the line. WKD readers, love it, non readers, cow.

squoosh Thu 18-Jul-13 16:46:51

I read WKD and wondered why Katy's sister had a cow name.

Sorry!

oohdaddypig Thu 18-Jul-13 16:50:50

Isn't clodagh Irish though? I couldn't use a name like that, pretty as it is, as I'm not Irish.

OP I wasn't a WKD fan and slightly associate clover with cows and still love it. (Would use it if lucky enough to have more babies smile )

CecyHall Thu 18-Jul-13 17:27:05

I always thought Clover was an odd choice amongst the other Carr names, but never thought cow!

I think Clodagh would have been a good compromise with my DH. But we had boys so it didn't matter in the end!

chilipeppers Sat 20-Jul-13 22:43:31

Just makes me think of the butter! Sorry!

rempy Sat 20-Jul-13 22:46:04

Really, how many botanical names do boys get? Why do girls get the trees, flowers, and weeds?

Sure, go on, name your child after a soil nitrogen fixer/butter substitute. I

It is definitely "original".

devonsmummy Sat 20-Jul-13 22:48:57

Is it just me singing
'Roll me over, in the clover, roll me over, lay me down & do it again' ?

ZingWidge Sat 20-Jul-13 22:57:50

"coz we all like Clover all over this land"

Clover butter, freshly churned

MadonnaKebab Sat 20-Jul-13 23:04:45

Clover Moore has been Lord Mayor of Sydney for many years
I don't think her name has held her back in her career, and I've never heard any negative comments
We don't get Clover Butter here though

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Sat 20-Jul-13 23:08:44

I first thought fake butter
Then I thought cows
Now I'm thinking roll me over

There is a poem called leprechaun with the lines

'You are so hot the first time I touched you I burnt down a Christmas tree
Had to plant my star on top of a 4 leaf clover I made out of two three leaf clovers and some crazy glue
I am crazy about you'

That is possibly quite an obscure reference..but it ends with the advice 'never fuck the cushions on your mothers living room couch.'

I'm not keen, I don't dislike it but when someone tells me their name I like to think I've heard it right. There's nothing worse than having to get somebody to repeat it, twice, and then spell it and then resist the temptation to say 'oh, like the margarine.'

I like Tansy

MrsTedMosby Sat 20-Jul-13 23:28:41

Lovely lovely name, and on my list of girls names. And yes, I'm a What Katy Did fan.

ZingWidge Sat 20-Jul-13 23:30:33

thinkofhappy excellent advise about the sofa cushions! grin grin grin

IThinkOfHappyWhenIThinkOfYou Sat 20-Jul-13 23:40:11

Thanks grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now