Pearl - opinions welcome

(39 Posts)
Huffty Sun 14-Jul-13 21:58:37

Have two children already: Miles and Abigail, could Pearl be the third? Is it in the same league? Too trendy/ dated?

cheerfulweather Sat 20-Jul-13 12:03:52

It goes well enough with your other names. Nice.

Andanotherthing123 Fri 19-Jul-13 20:02:30

Lovely name and one which will be also good when she's a grown up. I imagine a grown up Pearl to be smart, stylish and kind.

sleepingbeautiful Fri 19-Jul-13 17:26:54

Personally I don't like it, it doesn't sound like a classy old lady name.
But regardless of my opinion of the actual name, I would be concerned it will date badly as it is very much 'in fashion' now, not one of those names that could nicely be pinned across a number of generations like your other DCs names.

How about:
Emma
Lydia
Julia
Susannah
Georgia
Leah

formicadinosaur Fri 19-Jul-13 13:42:19

I love it and it goes well with miles which is also old fashioned. It is different to Abigail but it doesn't matter

squoosh Thu 18-Jul-13 22:14:42

Pearl is 72, bleached blonde hair, permanent fag in mouth, voice as deep as Barry White's, works in a transit caf cooking breakfasts for the truckers, loves talking about the time she shagged the bass player from Eddie and the Pacemakers back in 1964.

telsa Wed 17-Jul-13 09:03:55

It is lovely and if you like it, you should use it. It has a beautiful meaning too.

LittleBearPad Tue 16-Jul-13 22:04:57

No, it's dreadful. Sorry. It also doesn't go with the other names.

Beamur Tue 16-Jul-13 22:03:19

I'm in the 'not liking' camp.

Angelik Tue 16-Jul-13 22:01:49

I have a pearl. she's 6 months old.didn't realise it was trendy. it's clearly a name that polarises opinions but it's whether you like it which counts.

cantpooinpeace Tue 16-Jul-13 21:04:11

Cute grin

DameEdnasBridesmaid Tue 16-Jul-13 20:52:26

It's lovely, go for it

maja00 Tue 16-Jul-13 20:49:38

I agree Layl - I have a relative who was named Ruby 20 years ago and people thought it was a ridiculous brassy old lady name then!

Layl77 Tue 16-Jul-13 20:48:41

I like it; I'm sure ruby 'felt' the same before it got popular. Go for it

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 16-Jul-13 20:45:57

It isn't the same "type" of name as your others, if that matters, though

JamieandtheMagicTorch Tue 16-Jul-13 20:45:07

It's trendy, but I still really like it.

insanityscratching Tue 16-Jul-13 20:38:49

Dd's name on her birth certificate isn't Pearl but it's the name we have called her since her earliest days. I love the name so I'd say go for it.

thegreylady Tue 16-Jul-13 20:33:52

I wonder why Ruby is so popular and Pearl not.

SleepyCatOnTheMat Mon 15-Jul-13 17:18:39

I met the sweetest little girl at a playgroup called Pearl. To me the name just did not sit right on her no matter how many times I heard her called it. I think some names are just too 'old lady' and never going to be due a comeback. It's a shame because the meaning of Pearl is nice.

DawnOfTheDee Mon 15-Jul-13 16:11:55

Dammit BOF beat me to "Pearl's a singer"....and now that song is stuck in my head. Grrrrr.....

I'd say it's an ok name but a bit trendy and may date?

Noooo - Scottish as well and it sounds horrible, it's not even a proper name. I like your other children's names.

My alternative offerings would be

Jennifer/Jenna
Stella
Lillian
Rosalind
Carys
Laurel

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Mon 15-Jul-13 09:51:15

I picture a Far Side-esque, overweight old dame with Edna Everidge specs, a mahoosive beehive because she hasn't changed her do since the 60s, and a mono-bosom, when I hear the name Pearl.

But I fully recognise, that most other people won't.

If you love it, go for it. Sod everyone else.

imip Mon 15-Jul-13 06:03:48

I have a pearl, she is lovely (she is definately a singer and I believe that according to The Specials, she also owns a cafe!). I know of three pearls all together. My pearl is delightful. All my four dds have a mix of 'old' names, some retro, others not as popular.

I guess, if you like the name, go for it... Don't worry about other opinions!

Lagoonablue Mon 15-Jul-13 06:01:42

I like it. I like old lady names.

CheerfulYank Mon 15-Jul-13 05:27:49

I think Pearl is really sweet. smile I feel like it goes with Miles but not Abigail as much...but who cares?

sleepywombat Mon 15-Jul-13 05:17:11

Dislike it intensely. I always think of a brassy old barmaid when I hear it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now