Monty

(25 Posts)
rockybalboa Sun 14-Jul-13 16:58:35

We have named our new baby boy Monty. No need for any disparaging comments please, that's his name. However I am in two minds about registering him as Monty or Montgomery. I'm much less keen on Montgomery (or Montague for that matter) and I can't see that we'd ever use it but I felt sorry for the girl in my year at school who was christened Vicky rather than Victoria. I also know a couple of Katy/Katie's who aren't Katherine's and get fed up of explaining that they are not. Is this a big enough issue to cause us to register him as Montgomery even though we don't really like it and wouldn't use it?

mumtolilh Sun 14-Jul-13 18:33:05

If you like monty make it official! I really really love monty it's so sweet.
It's your decision & your child...do what feels right ;-)

Zynda Sun 14-Jul-13 19:24:23

Just Monty. Montgomery is too war ish. People will want to know if its after Montgomery clift or general Montgomery.

FingersCrossedLegsNot Sun 14-Jul-13 20:29:32

Just Monty.....it's fabulous!

DeffoBossLa Sun 14-Jul-13 20:33:47

The name I never got to use because dh wouldn't back down...I love it!I would probably get him registered as Montague but that's just me.

othersideofchannel Sun 14-Jul-13 20:52:05

You will give your son more options by putting the full name on his birth certificate - Monty is a cute nickname but Montgomery is a great formal name.

AngusAndElspethsThistleWhistle Sun 14-Jul-13 20:58:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

buttercrumble Sun 14-Jul-13 20:59:35

Love it smile

Montezuma. Montmorency. Montessori.

If you like it go for it.

<it is my dog's name >

Bunbaker Sun 14-Jul-13 21:02:42

To me Monty sounds like a nickname. A nice one, but a nickname nevertheless. I know Montgomery sounds a bit formal, but is does open up other options when he is older.

Also, as I am of a certain age Monty always makes me think of Monty Python.

NoComet Sun 14-Jul-13 21:03:55

I've no idea if the Monty at school has a Sunday best name on his birth certificate.

I do and I wish I didn't, no one except banks and passports has used it in my entire life, unless I was in hot water.

NoComet Sun 14-Jul-13 21:04:40

Meant to say I love Monty.

othersideofchannel Sun 14-Jul-13 21:17:08

All the currently trendy cutesy names - Alfie/Archie/Monty/Poppy/Evie etc- are going to sound dated as they fall out of fashion again.

Montgomery or Montague, on the other hand, are classic names that haven't been overused and that will stand the test of time well!

AllegraLilac Mon 15-Jul-13 00:42:24

I think a grown man would prefer Montgomery, for official CVish purposes.

Even if not, I think I'd prefer to give my son the choice between the two himself.

Montague sounds nicer and softer than Montgomery, in my opinion. I agree that he should have the full name, then he has the option when he's older. smile

badtime Mon 15-Jul-13 12:34:48

What about Beaumont?

I know a little Beaumont who is known as Beau, but it could be Monty just as easily.

SleepyCatOnTheMat Mon 15-Jul-13 14:55:46

I think Monty on its own is fine, maybe because I came across Monty as a name in its own right long before I ever came across it as a NN for Montgomery - it just feels more complete than, say, Alfie. You really shouldn't use something you don't like on the birth certificate - you're going to be writing it down on official forms for years and years and every time you do you'll feel a little pang if it's not the right name.

TalkativeJim Tue 16-Jul-13 22:41:17

Beaumont is a great idea.

Monty is very 'now'. Not saying it isn't a nice name, and pretty unusual at the moment, but it's going to be another Alfie... in 20 years, he may thank you for having other options at his disposal!

Prefer Montague to Montgomery

rachel234 Wed 17-Jul-13 19:06:36

I would definately give him a full name - Montgomery is lovely - as it gives your son more options in the future. A grown man would probably prefer to have the option of being a Montgomery rather than a Monty (which is cute while he's young).

squoosh Wed 17-Jul-13 21:49:10

I'd definitely give him a longer official name in case he doesn't love Monty when he grows up.

KnittedC Wed 17-Jul-13 21:57:29

Congratulations! Monty is a really lovely name.

I would definitely give your DS the option of a longer name on his birth certificate so would go with Montgomery; just introduce him as Monty to everyone.

But I also really like Beaumont as suggested by a PP.

PineappleLump Wed 17-Jul-13 22:32:35

I have a Monty who is officially Montgomery. I think the name Monty sounds too cutesy for a grown man, and wouldn't be taken seriously in certain professions. His big brother calls him 'Domery' which is cute so our Monty is sometimes 'Dom' too.

Whatever you decide to do, well done on choosing an excellent name!!

shoobidoo Wed 17-Jul-13 22:37:46

Without a doubt Montgomery - great elegant, classic name!

Monty might be cute for a little boy but like Alfie, Archie, Charlie and all the other currently fashionable cutesy names, I think they will sound dated as they fall out of favour. Give your son the option of a formal name!

ArtexMonkey Wed 17-Jul-13 22:39:34

Excellent name yo wink

I'd put a longer version on the birth certificate myself. But that's just me. Enjoy your lovely baby thanks

sleepingbeautiful Thu 18-Jul-13 05:19:48

I don't think it's a problem to just use Monty if that's the name you like. I disagree Monty is too cutesy and little boyish because there are plenty of grown-up Monty's whether that is their full name or not.
Having said that, I think I'm a little in love with Beaumont - it sounds very dashing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now