Alexia, Kara, Kaya, Maya...

(18 Posts)
trapezegirl Sun 14-Jul-13 15:26:36

Hi all. I would really appreciate some help with girls' names. Our current shortlist is:

Alexia
Kara
Kaya
Maya
Jenna
Lydia
Ella
Freya

Kaya or Maya would be pronounced to rhyme with Why-a, not Way-a. What do you think? And do you have any other suggestions?

Would like to avoid names starting with C as our surname starts with C and it would be a bit much, hence liking Kara rather than Cara. And as you can see, I like names ending in -a or -ia! Georgia and Olivia are out, though.

trapezegirl Sun 14-Jul-13 15:32:31

Forgot Lucia

exoticfruits Sun 14-Jul-13 15:43:30

Emma
Anna

Kaya and Maya will give them a lifetime of people getting it wrong.

dancemom Sun 14-Jul-13 15:51:59

Kyla?

Wbdn28 Sun 14-Jul-13 16:02:30

Maya, Lucia or Lydia. Also like Cara (with a C) and think it would be fine with a "C" surname.

Julia
Paloma
Teresa/Tess
Alicia
Sophia
Ciara
Georgina
Rebecca
Larissa/Lara
Laura
Lisa
Maria
Serena
Victoria
Ria
Sara
Amelia
Iona
Marina
Melissa
Seraphina
Leah
Sylvia
Aurora
Jessica
Aurelia
Nadia
Tia
Belinda
Diana
Thea
Anthea
Althea
Miranda
Natalia/Talia
Helia
Alexandria
Louisa
Marcia
Nicola
Cassia
Rowena
Isabella

trapezegirl Sun 14-Jul-13 17:03:58

exoticfruits, I fear you are right about Kaya and Maya but I really love them both.

Wbdn28, thanks for all those suggestions! I particularly like Serena and Sylvia, they're going on the list. And possibly Miranda as well. Serena is really lovely, but how would you shorten it? I'm not keen on Rena or Reenie...

DramaAlpaca Sun 14-Jul-13 17:08:44

Maya is a South American tribe and Kaya makes me think of kayak.

You could spell it Kaia, like the Estonian tennis player, Kaia Kanepi.

I quite like Lydia, Lucia and Alexia/Alexa.

hm32 Sun 14-Jul-13 17:10:27

Maya (or Mya/Maia?)
or
Freya

exoticfruits Sun 14-Jul-13 17:38:08

As a supply teacher I had terrible trouble with Kaya and Maya- they don't all go for the same pronunciation.

MacCrackles Sun 14-Jul-13 20:07:11

Hmm, similar list to ours! Our top favourite is there, "backed up" by a name from Wbdn28's list. We love it but I'm not sharing because I would rather it remain on the "less well known" list, even if people don't know how to pronounce it wink.

MacCrackles Sun 14-Jul-13 20:23:26

Btw, we'd spell it slightly different to you.

I know a male Kaya, in turkish its a boys name.

Like alexia but prefer Alexa.

Your other choices sound lovely, I quite like Maya.

devonsmummy Sun 14-Jul-13 22:27:33

Lila
Lola
Lyra
Gaia
Nula
Orla
Tia
Ria
Vania

trapezegirl Mon 15-Jul-13 00:12:48

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really like Alexa as well, but it makes me think of alexa.com which does website rankings.

MrsMongoose Mon 15-Jul-13 01:21:47

Kaya or Maya would be pronounced to rhyme with Why-a, not Way-a.

I wouldn't pronounce them that way. To get the pronounciations you want, I'd spell them Mya.

This is based on celebrities. Kaya Scodelario and the RnB singer Mya.

sleepingbeautiful Mon 15-Jul-13 04:42:15

I prefer Alexa too. I know a little one and she is very cute, so doesn't make me think of a website (never heard of that).
Maya is nice but I would say May-ah. I would pronounce Maia as My-ah though, which I believe is a legit name.
Lydia is also nice. Seriously dislike Kara spelled with a K though.

sleepywombat Mon 15-Jul-13 04:50:04

Also prefer Alexa. It was top of my list if ds2 was a dd. Alexia too much like dyslexia! Also never heard of website.

I love Maya but very popular atm (you might not mind that - Freya too). I know a lot in the UK, all pron Mya. But here in Aus, there are also a lot all pron May-a!

Lucia is lovely but you will also get pronunciation problems. I like it the Italian way - Loochia but I have a German cousin Loosia & have met a Loocha!

Like Kara too. Not so keen on others.

sleepingbeautiful Mon 15-Jul-13 05:00:08

And some other suggestions:
Kyra
Kiera
Arianna
Leah
Alyssa
Mista
Jessica
Lyra

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now