Both Names from the same piece of fiction?

(32 Posts)
RainforestGarden Fri 12-Jul-13 16:46:35

Hello,

We've finally agreed on a boys name that we both like. (We had a girls name picked out before we we even conceived.) We've realised however that both names (not too common) are those of minor characters in a very well-known and well-loved series of children's books (and films.) Is this a problem? Would you assume we named the siblings after the book? If the names were Ron and Hermione I wouldn't even bother to ask, but they are minor characters...

Many thanks for any honest feedback you can offer.

TobyLerone Fri 12-Jul-13 16:47:55

Please be Emmett and Renesmee.

Trills Fri 12-Jul-13 16:49:48

How minor, and do they "go together" in the book?

Is there any point in the book where the phrase "name and name" is used?

Theas18 Fri 12-Jul-13 16:52:25

Please let it be titty and roger smile

RainforestGarden Fri 12-Jul-13 17:01:05

It's Ariana and Cedric. Cedric being the champion of one of the other houses at Hogwarts and Ariana being Dumbledore's long deceased sister so they never go on any adventures together. If the books hadn't been quite such a phenomenon I wouldn't worry at all. (Harry Potter series that is.)

(Although we have already been forced to rule out Edmund as a boys name because the middle name is to Peter to honour FIL - I really did read The Lion, the Witch and The Wadrobe too many times as a child.)

Choccyhobnob Fri 12-Jul-13 17:01:08

Depends on what they are!

Sparklysilversequins Fri 12-Jul-13 17:07:20

I am a HP obsessive and I wouldn't have picked that up. It's fine.

AuntieStella Fri 12-Jul-13 17:13:57

There are so many characters in the HP books that I bet there are loads of families with pairings of the lesser characters names - Molly and George, or Charlie and Lily etc. It's not like you're going for Nymphadora and Cornelius.

RainforestGarden Fri 12-Jul-13 17:18:51

Thank you all for the reassurance. If anyone feels differently please do post. I'd rather abandon one of the names than regret it later. (I shudder to think of the nicknames Nymphadora would generate - no wonder she went by Tonks - Apologies to anybody planning on using the name.)

LandOfSpareOom Fri 12-Jul-13 17:21:22

I didn't even remember Ariana from HP, I always think of Ariana from The Belgariad anyway. They are so unconnected you'll be fine!

Trills Fri 12-Jul-13 17:27:33

There are hundreds of names in Harry Potter, and those two have nothing to do with one another (one is dead before the other is even mentioned)

jessjessjess Fri 12-Jul-13 17:44:07

I'm a huge HP fan and totally didn't get the connection. It's fine I think!

Zyn Fri 12-Jul-13 17:45:17

It depends. Is it a book that absolutely everybody has read? A real classic that everybody knows the names of the characters even if they haven't read the book. Eg like to kill a mockingbird, I confess I haven't read it but even I know that there is a Jem and a Scout in it. Would the association be that unavoidable?

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 12-Jul-13 17:45:51

I got the connection but only because you said there was one. They don't even appear in the same books! You'll be fine with those names smile

Zyn Fri 12-Jul-13 17:46:30

oh Right, well, I've sat through all of the films, my dd is always telling me about what happened in this book or that book and I've heard of cedric but not Ariana

HP lover here too and I didn't spot them. They're fine smile

Dackyduddles Fri 12-Jul-13 17:51:38

Cedric made me think of Sofia the first cartoon not HP. No idea of other name.

YoureAllABunchOfBastards Fri 12-Jul-13 22:15:02

DH has just asked if they are both Borrowers!

My sister in law has lily and James- that I did get. I really had to think about yours. Not obvious enough to be an issue in my opinion.

NotMyChashkaChai Fri 12-Jul-13 22:17:56

Wouldn't have made the connection at all. It's not as if it's Cedric and cho or albus and ariana!

BlueStarsAtNight Fri 12-Jul-13 23:33:01

Definitely not a problem. I quite like the idea of sneaking using minor HP characters for all my children, I have one already! But wouldn't have spotted that at all.

That would never have occurred to me. I think you're fine.

jalapeno Sun 14-Jul-13 07:13:11

I think it's fine, Cedric I remember from HP but not Ariana.

thegreylady Sun 14-Jul-13 14:12:03

Sorry but I love Ariana whereas Cedric could open up a lifetime of teasing for the poor little chap.It's like Cuthbert or Cecil-cartoon posh.

OwlCat Sun 14-Jul-13 23:02:50

Mine have a far more obvious HP pairing but I realised before I named DC2 and don't care! OH has never read the books or seen the films so is oblivious :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now