What does everyone think of Luna?

(67 Posts)
Choccyhobnob Thu 11-Jul-13 16:31:07

Me and DH rarely agree on names but one that we both like is Luna. I think it would go well as our surname is Spanish. I haven't told DH it is the name of a character in Harry Potter as he'd probably go off it and currently he absolutely loves it!

I just worry people will think it's weird, what do you think?

ch1134 Mon 22-Jul-13 22:17:08

I love it... although it may turn out to be a lunatic!

Tidypidy Thu 18-Jul-13 14:43:40

Lunar jim springs to mind!

curlew Thu 18-Jul-13 14:40:47

There is always a middle way. You don't have to give your child a name that will lay them open to ridicule in order to avoid them having a popular name.

Choccyhobnob Thu 18-Jul-13 13:14:49

Ok, let's agree to disagree on that one. Personally if it was my name I think I'd prefer it to being one of 5 Amelias or Isabelles or other popular 'normal' name in my class at school. But anyway, as this baby is actually hypothetical at this stage I'm not going to get too bent out of shape by those who dislike its possible name smile.

curlew Thu 18-Jul-13 12:46:06

It is arrogant to say "this is a name that might cause my child problems, but I like it, so I am going to use it regardless"

If you like it, change your own name. Don't give it to another person who is not in a position to consent.

DownstairsMixUp Thu 18-Jul-13 11:50:37

I don't like the name but I'm one of them people as long as you like it, I think that's all that matters!

DaveMccave Thu 18-Jul-13 11:42:24

Arrogant?! Why are people so bloody arrogant that the best thing to name a child with is something overused with no individuality? That is an arrogant assumption.

I like Luna. (Much much more than anything in the top 50)

Choccyhobnob Thu 18-Jul-13 10:51:29

It's a Spanish name, DH's family is Spanish so obviously our surname is too which is why I think it 'goes' a bit better than Luna Lampard for example (sorry Frank!).

Oh well, glad the majority of people think it's ok and only a couple think it would be cruel (honestly you'd think I was suggesting Seabiscuit or something!)

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 17-Jul-13 22:00:54

it's a pushchair too

Layl77 Wed 17-Jul-13 22:00:20

It is used as a Spanish name too it's about 50th in top baby girls names.

curlew Wed 17-Jul-13 21:06:06

Is it a Spanish name? It's certainly a Spanish word....but I've never heard it as a first name in Spain.

confused

Well I like it. Makes sense if it is a spanish name as well etc.

There are loads of names that have crap nicknames (how many Richards do you all know? dozens I bet - Dick didn't put their parents off!) if you really love the name it isn't going to be a big deal.

I tend to pair a more unusual name with a more mainstream one for my kids so if they really hate it they have another option.

Choccyhobnob Wed 17-Jul-13 16:34:26

Arrogant? Wow.....

curlew Tue 16-Jul-13 21:03:06

Why are people so colossally arrogant when they name their children? It's all about the parents- not about the child.

Layl77 Tue 16-Jul-13 20:59:14

I don't think it will necessarily get shortened to loony. How many William or wills get called willy? None that I know.
It's a lovely name, use it if you like it.

curlew Tue 16-Jul-13 20:52:07

Well, if you're quite happy with giving your child a name that will ensure that she is called "loony" by all her schoolmates.........

Really, really don't. It's mean.

GiveMeVegemite Tue 16-Jul-13 20:45:04

I love it...that's why I named my dog Luna grin

Ragwort Mon 15-Jul-13 11:40:20

Agree with celticclan. The trouble with these threads is that if you are reasonably polite (and some mumsnetters are grin) it is very difficult to say 'what a load of * ' about a name. I usually avoid the 'do you like this name threads' for fear of being offensive but to saddle a child with this sort of name is just so unfair.

celticclan Mon 15-Jul-13 11:36:41

It's a silly name. Use it for a middle name but don't saddle your dd with such an unconventional name.

Choccyhobnob Mon 15-Jul-13 11:00:24

amandine she's a major character from the 5th book in I think smile

ClaireLouise probably didn't help that Luna Lovegood was a bit weird...i'll try and discourage ours from wearing radish earrings and the like grin

ClaireLouise1986 Sun 14-Jul-13 22:39:23

I really like Luna for a girl too but after hearing the character in Harry Potter get called "Loony" it's made me think of the bullying it could cause...

amandine07 Sun 14-Jul-13 06:13:58

I really like the name Luna. If you like it OP then go for it, people will always make up nicknames/add on stuff to pretty much all names.

As for the HP connection, I obviously didn't get far enough reading the books to see where the name Luna comes in. Or I just can't remember!

Callmedreckly Sat 13-Jul-13 20:53:05

grin

rosyryan Fri 12-Jul-13 22:33:37

Random aside but Callmedreckly I bleddy love your name!

Rosa Fri 12-Jul-13 20:21:55

Moon ...sorry don't like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now