What does everyone think of Luna?

(67 Posts)
Choccyhobnob Thu 11-Jul-13 16:31:07

Me and DH rarely agree on names but one that we both like is Luna. I think it would go well as our surname is Spanish. I haven't told DH it is the name of a character in Harry Potter as he'd probably go off it and currently he absolutely loves it!

I just worry people will think it's weird, what do you think?

GiveMeVegemite Tue 16-Jul-13 20:45:04

I love it...that's why I named my dog Luna grin

curlew Tue 16-Jul-13 20:52:07

Well, if you're quite happy with giving your child a name that will ensure that she is called "loony" by all her schoolmates.........

Really, really don't. It's mean.

Layl77 Tue 16-Jul-13 20:59:14

I don't think it will necessarily get shortened to loony. How many William or wills get called willy? None that I know.
It's a lovely name, use it if you like it.

curlew Tue 16-Jul-13 21:03:06

Why are people so colossally arrogant when they name their children? It's all about the parents- not about the child.

Choccyhobnob Wed 17-Jul-13 16:34:26

Arrogant? Wow.....

TeWiSavesTheDay Wed 17-Jul-13 16:39:54

confused

Well I like it. Makes sense if it is a spanish name as well etc.

There are loads of names that have crap nicknames (how many Richards do you all know? dozens I bet - Dick didn't put their parents off!) if you really love the name it isn't going to be a big deal.

I tend to pair a more unusual name with a more mainstream one for my kids so if they really hate it they have another option.

curlew Wed 17-Jul-13 21:06:06

Is it a Spanish name? It's certainly a Spanish word....but I've never heard it as a first name in Spain.

Layl77 Wed 17-Jul-13 22:00:20

It is used as a Spanish name too it's about 50th in top baby girls names.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 17-Jul-13 22:00:54

it's a pushchair too

Choccyhobnob Thu 18-Jul-13 10:51:29

It's a Spanish name, DH's family is Spanish so obviously our surname is too which is why I think it 'goes' a bit better than Luna Lampard for example (sorry Frank!).

Oh well, glad the majority of people think it's ok and only a couple think it would be cruel (honestly you'd think I was suggesting Seabiscuit or something!)

DaveMccave Thu 18-Jul-13 11:42:24

Arrogant?! Why are people so bloody arrogant that the best thing to name a child with is something overused with no individuality? That is an arrogant assumption.

I like Luna. (Much much more than anything in the top 50)

DownstairsMixUp Thu 18-Jul-13 11:50:37

I don't like the name but I'm one of them people as long as you like it, I think that's all that matters!

curlew Thu 18-Jul-13 12:46:06

It is arrogant to say "this is a name that might cause my child problems, but I like it, so I am going to use it regardless"

If you like it, change your own name. Don't give it to another person who is not in a position to consent.

Choccyhobnob Thu 18-Jul-13 13:14:49

Ok, let's agree to disagree on that one. Personally if it was my name I think I'd prefer it to being one of 5 Amelias or Isabelles or other popular 'normal' name in my class at school. But anyway, as this baby is actually hypothetical at this stage I'm not going to get too bent out of shape by those who dislike its possible name smile.

curlew Thu 18-Jul-13 14:40:47

There is always a middle way. You don't have to give your child a name that will lay them open to ridicule in order to avoid them having a popular name.

Tidypidy Thu 18-Jul-13 14:43:40

Lunar jim springs to mind!

ch1134 Mon 22-Jul-13 22:17:08

I love it... although it may turn out to be a lunatic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now