Esther or Bethany, or suggest an alternative?

(44 Posts)
BobandBenway Wed 10-Jul-13 14:46:35

Found out we are having a girl! I was so sure it was a boy, and we had an agreed boy's name, but cannot agree on a girl's name!

The only one I really love, and it seems "the one" to me is Esther, but dp hates it (don't think he can get past Esther Rantzen association!).

He is really pushing for Bethany (Beth), which I'm a bit "meh" about - it seems a bit insipid to me, and a bit dated like a 90s name? Plus I don't really like Beth for short - it reminds me of drippy Beth from Little Women!

I am really struggling to come up with any other girls names. I sort of like Rachel, except it is far too over-used. I also like Ruth, but there are too many family members with this name. Although I like these names, they are not "the one".

Help! I'm starting to panic now as I can't see any name being right! Any suggestions? Don't think I will be able to convince dp of Esther!

smother Thu 11-Jul-13 09:48:18

I have a gorgeous niece called Esther. Rantzen associations disappeared almost instantly.

Or what about....

Frances
Hester
Ellen
Alice
Ruth
Martha
Clarice
Olive

smother Thu 11-Jul-13 09:49:00

forgot to add - Rebecca

notso Thu 11-Jul-13 10:04:06

There are two little girls called Esther at our Toddler group.
I find it a bit harsh sounding.
I much prefer Bethan to Bethany and love the nn Beth.
I can't recall meeting a Rachel under the age of 20 for years.

brackengirl Thu 11-Jul-13 18:33:12

My DD2 (11 weeks) is Esther and while it wasn't my suggestion at first I now love it as DD2 totally suits it and she is gorgeous! I have also discovered how good it is for rhyming- "You're the bester, Esther" "Don't pester Esther" "You fester Esther" This gives me endless pleasure during long night feeds!
Bethany was also on our shortlist but I only really liked Beth, along with Leah, Leila, Lydia and Elisabeth. DD1 is Rosanna and I also like Rachel and Jemima

farmersdaughter Thu 11-Jul-13 18:36:10

Don't know any Rachel's under 20 at all.

What about Laura?

I really don't like Bethany but love Bethan - we don't live in Wales so mine is more a Beth-n rather than a Beth-ann. And never a Beth - she's a very feisty Bea grin

HeliumHeart Thu 11-Jul-13 21:11:05

Tabitha?

tunnocksteacake Thu 11-Jul-13 21:17:57

I have a 21 month old Esther. I love love love her name. So does she, and it is sooo sweet now she can point to herself and say 'I - Esther Joy!'
Your DH is wrong. Does that help?! grin

rallytog1 Thu 11-Jul-13 21:31:32

Rachel is pretty rare for baby girls these days. 11wo DD is Rachel and everywhere we go people are always commenting on how unusual it is to meet a baby Rachel. None of the MWs in hospital could remember a baby Rachel having been born there in recent years either (we were in hospital a loooong time and met many midwives!)

We know lots of Rachels of other ages (esp in the 25-35 bracket) and there was a spate of baby Rachels when Friends was popular, but it's well outside the top 100 now.

Having said that, I love Esther too - it was on our top five list!

Layl77 Thu 11-Jul-13 21:35:51

Estée or estelle?

BigW Thu 11-Jul-13 21:38:24

Do you like biblical names or just the sound of Esther? Here are some that like, but could never use for a number of different reasons.

Eleanor
Stella
Ivy
Florence
Isla
Eliana

I like Esther, but agree with you on Beth. I had my boy's name for ages but really struggled to find a girl's name I liked. Luckily I had a boy!!

mewkins Thu 11-Jul-13 21:54:36

I love Esther. I know a really lovely one.
I like Bethany and have an Elizabeth (who dh wanted to call Beth but she is such a dizzie Lizzie at the monent).

I also like Estelle and Estella in a similar vein...

SleepyCatOnTheMat Sat 13-Jul-13 12:38:40

Yes, Rachel is something like #180 in the name charts, so not overly popular now.

Bethany could be shortened to Betty or Betsy (you are right though, its popularity peaked in the 90s).

FreedomOfTheTess Sat 13-Jul-13 15:34:17

I love Esther.

I used to like Bethany, but after hearing it being pronounced as "beff-un-ee" by a family who live near my sister, it is forever ruined for me!

Biscuitsneeded Sat 13-Jul-13 15:59:19

Esther. It is a great name for a child and a grown up. I find Bethany a bit twee, although I don't mind Beth.

Agree also that you could think again about Rachel. Only one Rachel at my kids' school. Even though I am an atheits I do like all those biblical names!

Naomi? Sarah?

Or names that I somehow think go with Esther - Honor, Thea, Constance?

Esther is lovely, Bethany is a bit schemey and dated.

other suggestions on the old testament theme:

Delilah
Amaris/Amarys
Judith
Kezia
Susanna

SleepyCatOnTheMat Sat 13-Jul-13 18:21:54

P.S. Miriam is nice, NNs Miri, Mitzi, Mamie or even Molly.

CPtart Sat 13-Jul-13 18:29:37

Jennifer

sweetkitty Sat 13-Jul-13 18:37:21

I'm just cuddling my Bethany my outdated, schemey, meh, boring, twee named girl, she is gorgeous btw and so is her name grin

She is nicknamed Bessie as when she was little she couldn't say her name so called herself Bessie and it stuck, I only know one other Bethany as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now