So, Did The Queen choose HER children's names?

(21 Posts)
Zynnia Wed 10-Jul-13 00:06:34

and if she didn't, who did?

TigerSwallowTail Wed 10-Jul-13 00:12:27

Oh good question, I've no idea who chose them but hopefully someone here knows.

Zynnia Wed 10-Jul-13 00:23:48

yeah, I wonder if there was a Firm bossing her about. did they say 'but maaaaaaaam. Andrew is a Scottish name. Or would she have started a thread "siblings called Anne, and Andrew - would you?"

Is there a nightclub called Charlies? can I call my Son Charles if there is a night club called Charles?

Edward, how to avoid the nick name Eddie

Choccyhobnob Thu 11-Jul-13 11:14:06

I watched a programme last night about royal babies. I didn't hear if the Queen got to choose her kids names but they did say there is quite strict protocol and William and Harry (Henry) were meant to be called Arthur and Albert but Diana was having none of it and put her foot down. Going from that I think the Queen probably had a limited choice.

Zyn Thu 11-Jul-13 21:44:10

Arthur and Albert don't sound posh enough confused they sound like old men or cats. Or toddlers. But I'd have a different perception of them if W&H were called Arfah and Albert

bassingtonffrench Fri 12-Jul-13 11:51:08

I don't knkow about the Queen, but apparantly Queen Mum and KINg wanted to call their second daughter Rose, but the then King and Queen vetoed it.

So she was Princess Margaret.

mimbleandlittlemy Fri 12-Jul-13 13:49:54

Well she was Princess Margaret Rose - and the Queen actually called her that in a rather sweet broadcast from 1940:

“My sister, Margaret Rose, and I feel so much for you, as we know from experience what it means to be away from those we love most of all…"

Zyn Fri 12-Jul-13 17:41:27

That's funny, cheerfulYank, wish we had notifications so you would see this thread!

fenellafitzgerald Fri 12-Jul-13 22:16:10

Bassingtonffrench - sorry but that is not right (airs useless royal family historical knowledge as cited in William Shawcross's biography of the Queen Mother!) The QM and the then Bertie Duke of York were desperate to call their second daughter Ann but Queen Mary and George V were having none of it and they had to compromise with Margaret Rose. I always wonder if that is why the Queen went on to have Princess Anne.

Zynda Fri 12-Jul-13 23:48:28

what were their objections to Ann?

There has never been a Queen Margaret has there? Was that used before Princess Margaret? wondering why Margaret is ok but Ann is not. although i'm not familiar with the names of all the royals from centuries ago

GibberTheMonkey Fri 12-Jul-13 23:51:11

I wonder if the Anne thing is because of one of the previous ones, Boleyn possibly

Solaia Sat 13-Jul-13 09:40:15

There was a Queen Margaret of Scotland wasn't there?

I may be wrong, I'm struggling to even follow all the people on The White Queen at the moment!

Solaia Sat 13-Jul-13 09:42:14

As an aside, they must have way more relaxed rules for those not immediately heirs to the throne - judging by Zara and Savannah

Zynda Sat 13-Jul-13 13:24:02

yes, Anne Boleyn, that's not not good. Was she the first Anne since Anne Boleyn?

SuffolkNWhat Sat 13-Jul-13 13:27:04

Queen Anne anyone? Came after William & Mary, do none of you watch Horrible Histories?!

Zynda Sat 13-Jul-13 13:29:52

oh right! well, I didn't this stuff at school so I haven't forgotten everything I learnt at school, no wait, I have, just different stuff

Zynda Sat 13-Jul-13 13:30:24

I love horrible histories! is series four out on dvd yet?

NomDeClavier Sat 13-Jul-13 13:30:30

No she wasn't. Queen Anne was the last Stuart and her death (and 17 unsuccessful pregnancies) meant we imported George of Hanover. George II and Charles I also had Annes (I think).

Margaret was a popular Tudor name, and the QM had Marguerite as a middle name.

Ladytron Sat 13-Jul-13 16:45:15

Queen Margaret of Anjou was Henry VI's queen.

bassingtonffrench Mon 15-Jul-13 10:33:19

fenella I bow to your superior royal knowledge!

also can't see what is wrong with Ann!

mewkins Mon 15-Jul-13 22:16:54

No input, just find this stuff fascinating!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now