Faolan

(12 Posts)
emblosion Wed 10-Jul-13 20:56:57

Fway-lon or Fay-lon round here. it means little wolf I think. Nearly used it for ds2 as when he was born he was covered in dark hair but went with Oisín in the end.

It kind of sounds like 'failing'
blush

Arudonto Wed 10-Jul-13 14:34:20

The one I know(west of ireland) is pronounce Fway-lawn. Ive always liked it.

Phelim is more fey-limb around here.

DramaAlpaca Wed 10-Jul-13 13:43:54

Interesting. Where I live this would be pronounced FEE-lan.

Amazing how many different dialect pronunciations there are of Irish names.

ZolaBuddleia Wed 10-Jul-13 13:39:43

The one I know is Faolán, pronounced Fway-lon.

squoosh Wed 10-Jul-13 13:38:21

I'd assume Fway-lan/Fway-lawn too.

monniemae Wed 10-Jul-13 12:46:38

I like it, I would also assume Fway-lan or Fay-lan pronunciation.

I also like Cuan (sorry don't know how to do fada) which my cousin's boy is called - means the same thing ie little wolf. Coo-awn (but faster iykwim)
www.behindthename.com/name/cua10n

MistyB Wed 10-Jul-13 12:27:47

Phelan (usually a surname) is the English translation of O'Faolán (literally descendants of Faolán).

Yes,that's my worry,I love Celtic names but the pronunciation is almost always an issue sad

I've not heard of Phelim,but I think Phelan is a variant...

MistyB Wed 10-Jul-13 00:09:52

I would have said 'Fway Lawn' but many Irish names were pronounced / spelled differently in different regions and have been adopted into English with varying spelling and pronunciation so yours could be equally valid!!

I think it is beautiful but I shy away from difficult to pronounce names of Celtic origin having spent more than half my life correcting pronunciation and spelling of my own name.

Zynnia Tue 09-Jul-13 23:53:01

like Phelim?

Not a fan of Phelim because it reminds me of phlegm but Faolan looks McIrish. I might be being too harsh there. No idea of its origins.

Pron Fay-Lin Or Feh-lahn.

Boys name,meaning 'little wolf'

Opinions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now