naming etiquette

(21 Posts)
bassingtonffrench Mon 08-Jul-13 21:59:11

Expecting DC3. Have two boys already. don't know the gender

Girls names are not a problem, but obviously have used our favourite boys names on our existing boys!

I like the name Owen but my sister has a baby nephew called Owen (her husbands sisters son) so that would mean her two children would then have two cousins called Owen, which would be a bit odd for them, especially as they only have four cousins in total.

So can I use the name?

Just to be clear, there is no issue with grandparents as the two Owens would not actually be related, just share cousins in common

LeoTheLateBloomer Mon 08-Jul-13 22:01:09

I wouldn't, but mainly because I don't like the name Owen. What are your other boys called?

LeoTheLateBloomer Mon 08-Jul-13 22:03:17

Sorry, that was blunt and unhelpful. I think it's very thoughtful of you to consider what it would be like for your sister's DCs. I have two first cousins on the same side of the family with the same name, but they grew up 16 years apart on opposite sides of the Atlantic so it's never been an issue.

bassingtonffrench Mon 08-Jul-13 22:03:28

Edward and Guy

bassingtonffrench Mon 08-Jul-13 22:05:22

It wouldn't cause offense, but I know my sister would groan about it because of all the millions of names out there, why do I have to choose the only one which causes maximum confusion to her family??!!!

but DH and I find it hard to agree so we are really limited

BuffyFairy Mon 08-Jul-13 22:05:45

I grew up with 2 cousins of the same name and similar age. It wasn't confusing so don't let that worry you. If you like the name use it smile

ArabellaBeaumaris Mon 08-Jul-13 22:06:11

I have two cousins called Charlotte. They are 19 years apart, on other sides of the Atlantic, & totally unaware of the existence of the other! So I don't feel like it would be an issue, & think you could use the name.

I have two cousins called Emma - my son has two second cousins called Sophia-Grace - it's just one of those things I think - unless you pick 'Qsetfhryrnd' there is always going to be another x, y or z

JRmumma Mon 08-Jul-13 22:09:32

If you like the name then id still use it. We are using a name that is v similar to my sisters nephew and i never even considered it would be an issue for my niece. I don't think it is either as plenty of people have the same name and kids don't generally seem to be phased by this IMO.

doublecakeplease Mon 08-Jul-13 22:10:52

If you love it use it :-)

Kids will find a way around any confusion 'cousin Owen with the blonde hair' 'aunt french's Owen' 'Owen with the cool toy.....'

bassingtonffrench Mon 08-Jul-13 22:11:05

thanks

I have two cousins with the same name. It's really not an issue!

I don't think I could actually name my nephew and nieces cousins on the other side confused

MumnGran Mon 08-Jul-13 22:16:11

Sisters always moan about something ....its in the contract!! [grin[
Choose the name you like.....sisters children will sort it out effortlessly, as kids do.

PeazlyPops Mon 08-Jul-13 22:27:02

I'd say go for it. I have two cousins with the same name, and they are both the same age (approx 4 months between them). It hasn't caused any problems.

MultipleMama Tue 09-Jul-13 07:24:47

I have 2 cousins with the same name. I don't think it's problem if they're on opposite sides of the family. I.e mum's side and dad's side.

heronsfly Tue 09-Jul-13 07:29:15

My dcs have got 2 cousins with the same name, dosent cause any confusion,in fact when the two are together they love it grin
I would go for it, its a lovely name.

farmersdaughter Tue 09-Jul-13 08:43:31

Ok, so I have 2 sets of cousin with the same name.

Katherine and Alistair
nn Katie and Ali

and

Kathryn and Alistair
nn Katy and Ally

My mum was a bit muffed when my aunt (her sister) had 2 children with the same names as her older nephew and niece on my father side.

But honestly it's not really caused any problems.

bugsybill Tue 09-Jul-13 10:48:20

I don't see the problem confused he is not related to you or your family. Your sister will be able to differentiate the 2 boys. Use it smile

badtime Tue 09-Jul-13 11:04:35

I have a cousin Thomas, a Jacqueline and an Alison on each side of my family. There is absolutely nothing confusing about it. Why would there be?

tableandsofa Tue 09-Jul-13 13:20:24

DP has 2 cousins called the same name. Both sisters liked the name so both used it within a year. It did cause a falling out at the time but now both the boys are adults it's normal and a bit of a family joke.

wigglesrock Tue 09-Jul-13 14:47:31

I have 2 sets of cousins with the same name ie 2 Catherines and 2 Josephs and they do share the same grandparents smile . Never been a bother.

My dd2 also has the same name as my sils niece (daughter of her sister) - we live in different countries but again never been an issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now