Kate/Katie

(40 Posts)
Blanketsandpillows Mon 08-Jul-13 20:14:18

I know a lot of people will think its dull but it means something to us and we both like it. It is a popular name, I know, but I think it was more popular 7 years ago than now...am I wrong? Do you know of lots of newborn Kate/Katies?

Stixswhichtwizzle Sat 13-Jul-13 20:56:24

I don't know any but if we ever have a dd2 then Kate/Katherine will be our top name.

Tickledyellow Fri 12-Jul-13 20:13:02

Or not Katie even!

Tickledyellow Fri 12-Jul-13 20:12:45

Kate, I mean, not Kate

Tickledyellow Fri 12-Jul-13 20:12:24

It is my favourite name

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Fri 12-Jul-13 20:08:27

Kate is a fabulous, strong, elegant, classic timeless name. It is the only K name I like (would always choose Catherine over Katherine, for instance), and I really do love it.

Katie/Katy, as MolotovCocktail says, really does totally dilute and, um, 'meh'-up grin an otherwise great name.

Call her Kate and if she turns out to be a Katie-type, she can use it. But t least she always has the fabulous Kate to default to.

Zyn Fri 12-Jul-13 17:53:36

I prefer Katy to Katie. Katie is a little girl and Katy looks less girly.

Kate is a bit dull but then, I like Anna, Emma, Ellen, Nina and a lot of people think they're dull so I get it. YOu like it.

Champagnebubble Fri 12-Jul-13 13:53:24

I only know of Kate's / Katie's in their 30's. In my classes there were a few. The Kate used to shorten her name to K8 as a teenager, and the Katie K8T presume it was a 'cool' thing. Haha. The grown up Katie still calls herself Katie. I also know a Kathryn who shortens to Kate and a Katherine who gets called Kate, but prefers Kat.

They are nice names and less used at present.

Proudmummy987 Fri 12-Jul-13 13:03:00

Katie! I'm Katie. Love my name.

CheeseFondueRocks Fri 12-Jul-13 08:55:14

I like Kate but would think it odd to meet a grown up woman that was just called Katie. I'd go for Katherine, nickname her Katie as a child and then she still has options as an adult, be it Katherine, Kate or Katie.

I am a Kate and lovely name smile Everyone knows how to spell/pronounce it yet it is not massively overused.
My family do call me Katy but I much prefer Kate. I've only been asked once if it was short for Katherine.

And I'm a strong, elegant woman

<trips up, showing knickers>

I'm a Kate, and I love my name. I've never been a Katie, except to my husband. Go for it.

Blanketsandpillows Fri 12-Jul-13 08:34:36

You ladies are really convincing me (its DHs no.1 name but I was worried there would be 4 other Kate/Katies in her class). Oooh maybe we now have both our girl and boy names picked!! Just another 8 weeks to go!

FoxyRevenger Thu 11-Jul-13 20:58:55

I have a Kate, not short for anything smile

I prefer it to Katie/y by a million miles. It makes me think of strong, elegant, smart woman - think Katharine Hepburn types.

People comment on it all the time, say how much they love it.

Leeds2 Thu 11-Jul-13 20:56:21

I know a Katie, aged 15. Her mum wishes they had called her Kate, because she now perceives it to be more "classy."

If it were my DD, I would call her Katherine, nn Kate.

ReginaPhilangie Thu 11-Jul-13 18:50:57

I have a 10 year old Katie, she's lovely. grin

I also have a cousin called Katie she's 27.

weebarra Thu 11-Jul-13 18:43:40

I know two who are 5 and two in their 30's. It's a lovely name.

Jaynebxl Thu 11-Jul-13 18:40:47

Should add that the three that came to mind are all under 7.

Jaynebxl Thu 11-Jul-13 18:40:21

My children have three friends called Katie / Katy. Pretty popular around here. Nice sensible name.

flybynight Thu 11-Jul-13 18:37:09

I know about 12 Katie's aged 8-18. I don't know any little ones. I think it is a lovely name.

misskatamari Thu 11-Jul-13 18:35:54

And I even!

misskatamari Thu 11-Jul-13 18:35:17

Have you thought of Kathryn? It's my name as I never met any one with the same spelling until I was an adult and it has the option if being Kate/Katie/Kat/kitty etc and gives options for when DD is older if she likes a different nn. Just a thought

AllegraLilac Thu 11-Jul-13 01:40:15

I was going to make a Katie Hopkins joke, but someone beat me too it!

Unfortunately, it is not at all chavvy and is very pretty and timeless.

bubbatime Thu 11-Jul-13 00:02:01

I adore it! Also Kitty.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 10-Jul-13 23:29:59

Maybe it will regain popularity after Kate Middleton. if you like it, choose it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now