Royal baby likely to be a Mary!!!

(86 Posts)
vinobaroness Sun 07-Jul-13 08:08:53

I know there are lots of Royal baby threads I decided to start yet another! Apparently the big money has been put on Mary!!! I love it sounds so fresh yet vintage & sooo regal!!! Alice the other hot contendor for a girl!!!! So so excited!? Whats the opinions on Mary or Alice? George hot favorite for boy X

RussiansOnTheSpree Wed 10-Jul-13 08:43:47

squoosh - mine too. Same reason. They'll never use it. For that reason.

Sorry to offend anyone but I'm not as keen on Alexandra, because to me it's like Wilhemena or similar, and slightly a boy's name converted to a girl's. I'd prefer Mary or especially Alice personally. George nice for a boy - one we considered for DS (but didn't choose in the end !)

Ooh, anyone know, is Kate in labour - or was that just a rumour/ bit of fun on another thread ? Am ridiculously excited, must get a life !!

PoppyAmex Wed 10-Jul-13 08:53:20

There are dozens of European Queens called Mary / Maria, but there's such a strong Catholic connotation that I doubt they'll choose it.

DD is Maria and I think it's a beautiful elegant name, but I'm from Southern Europe originally and they're 10 a penny grin

PeterParkerSays Wed 10-Jul-13 08:54:16

I thought that Bookies had stopped taking bets on Charlotte?

Prefer Charlotte to Mary tbh.

I think the royal Princess Charlotte was incredibly popular but died in childbirth (around Victorian times, perhaps slightly earlier ?) so think that might put them off that one ? Also to me doesn't sound that English ?
(more French ?)

mewkins Thu 11-Jul-13 21:45:09

Ooh yes Charlotte has a good ring to it! Or Victoria (as my mum is convinced they will call her). I suspect Zara will choose something a bit out of the ordinary for hers.

Zyn Thu 11-Jul-13 21:46:59

why aren't they allowed to use the name Alice??

Zyn Thu 11-Jul-13 21:48:12

Vickkkkkkkkkaaaaaiy is like Bianca. they wouldn't - surely not?

notanyanymore Thu 11-Jul-13 21:53:12

Ah DD3 was Mary right through the pregnancy until dp suddenly vetoed it the saturday before she was born! Would have been a bit disappointed though if we had called her that and then they jumped on the band wagon a few months later, everyone would think we'd copied them! grin

TheSecondComing Thu 11-Jul-13 21:57:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Zyn Thu 11-Jul-13 22:18:38

Some silly article in the dm was saying who in their circle already had kids and they are friendly with some couple that has an Alexandra, 19 months old. Obviously they're not like normal people who can just choose another name, The Firm might tell them to pick it anyway, but at the same time they're quite modern and mightn't want to call their baby same name as good friends' baby? so, if I were their friend wink I mean, if I were working for a bookies I'd be surprised if it's Alexandra.

What about Alexander for a boy though?

Zyn Thu 11-Jul-13 22:23:30

oh :-| they aren't allowed to use Alice because it is AnythingNotEverything's name I see grin

NomDeClavier Thu 11-Jul-13 22:30:08

Princess Frances sounds a bit awful though. It's more likely a middle name IMO.

I like Mary, although they might be worried about Bloody Mary jokes (Mary I) or William & Mary (husband and wife rather than father and daughter).

Victoria would make the baby Queen Victoria II which would be hard to live up to only 150ish years on (assuming that's when a potential DD is likely to ascend).

Charlotte has unfortunate precedent of not surviving to become Queen.

Alice has never been used but is nice. I like Mathilda, Maud or Georgina too, but I think Alexandra is a pretty strong contender.

capercaillie Thu 11-Jul-13 22:34:51

I hope they choose Mary over Alice!!! I do not want that name becoming anymore popular. Mine is 3 and it was well down the popularity list 3 years ago

Zyn Thu 11-Jul-13 22:41:11

Frances is too banal
Charlotte is too French
Alexandra is the name of their friends' child
Matilda is too middle class - kate will avoid that
Victoria is dreadful!! too much to live up to. And "vickkkkkaaaay" is a bit tired, needs to rest.
Alice or Mary I reckon, sorry everything!!

George for a boy.

Zyn Thu 11-Jul-13 22:42:23

or Jane? is Jane a royal name?

pooka Thu 11-Jul-13 22:45:23

Adelaide
Matilda
Caroline
Victoria

NeedSomeSun142 Thu 11-Jul-13 22:46:54

I think Diana will be in there somewhere!

LadyBeagleEyes Thu 11-Jul-13 22:49:09

Is it definitely a girl then?

pooka Thu 11-Jul-13 22:49:45

Tough actually I think the queen/king gets to choose his or her own name when they are crowned, so it doesn't follow that would be queen Mary/Alice or whatever. W don't know whether Charles will decide to be Charles III or not. George vi was Albert. Edward viii was edward, but known as David. All over the place these royals!

NomDeClavier Thu 11-Jul-13 22:54:52

Lady Jane Grey...not a great precedent.

Although monarchs do get to choose their regnal name the assumption would be with Victoria or Mary in particular that they would be the future Victoria II or Mary III.

I forgot Adelaide. I've been championing it since the beginning and it's one of my favourite names, but I'm now expecting DC2 and want to use it so really hoping they don't!

TheSecondComing Thu 11-Jul-13 23:50:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TalkativeJim Fri 12-Jul-13 00:01:29

Lisa, definitely Lisa.

Lisa Michelle

TalkativeJim Fri 12-Jul-13 00:02:37

Pipkin Django for a boy of course.

TalkativeJim Fri 12-Jul-13 00:06:04

SERIOUSLY.

Mary is too Catholic. I think it will be one of -

Alice
Eleanor
Georgiana.

I'm convinced it's a girl, I'll be so surprised if they have a boy.

George if a boy though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now