Gaius. Yay or nay?

(104 Posts)
GaiusIsAnAceName Fri 05-Jul-13 21:19:39

For a boy, pronounced Guy-us.

Classic Greek name and features heavily in the greatest TV show of all time - Battlestar Gallactica.

(had to name change as thus would totally out me IRL)

Empress77 Sat 13-Jul-13 18:02:10

Gaius is Sooo cool, id have it for a middle name. I wanted Starbuck for a girl but dp said no (also perfect for xfiles - so perfect!). Id go for Apollo perhaps, hes also sooo cool.

AllegraLilac Sat 13-Jul-13 13:48:19

Would you pronounce Caius Kai-us or traditionally, like keys?

Bunbaker Wed 10-Jul-13 15:52:51

"I would really hope that society would move forwards enough in the 10-11 years before this became the issue that people are making it out to be that gay isn't a derogatory term."

I would hope so, but I can't see that happening in reality. DD is in year 8 at school and I know just how nasty some kids can get.

I don't see why Guy would be a problem.

Dh2812 Wed 10-Jul-13 07:59:33

I love it. I would really hope that society would move forwards enough in the 10-11 years before this became the issue that people are making it out to be that gay isn't a derogatory term. On a side note went to school with a Guy and he was never teased for his name so don't see it for this name.

ThreeEyedRaven Tue 09-Jul-13 23:15:34

Caius is sounding much more promising now grin

almapudden Tue 09-Jul-13 22:10:46

I love it. Caius was the original spelling, which is why e.g. Caesar's name is written C. Julius Caesar (early Latin didn't distinguish between voiced and unvoiced consonants in its orthography).

It's one of the twelve most common Latin praenomina, so you have a whole bunch of famous namesakes to choose from!

mewkins Tue 09-Jul-13 22:03:18

It may be pronounced gi-us but I too would read gay-us. He will have a lifetime of people calling out gay-us. Unless you just shortened to Guy.

KatOD Tue 09-Jul-13 21:59:25

Not a chance. Way too mean.

mellicauli Tue 09-Jul-13 21:51:53

We have a colleague called Gailen. I am ashamed to report to you that the name really brings out the inner 9 year old in my well-spoken, well brought up university educated colleagues. So best to avoid, methinks.

icetip Tue 09-Jul-13 21:50:14

Biggus Dickus perhaps?

Oh and Emrys too smile

I just think Gaius from Merlin.

I'd prefer Merlin though.

In fact, I quite like Merlin.

Someone convince me not to choose the name Merlin if I ever have a boy, please?

Alisvolatpropiis Mon 08-Jul-13 23:21:43

I think Caius is more usable.

Having said that I like Gaia for a girl so <shrug>

No to gaius (I read it as gay us)
Yes to caius

MultipleMama Sun 07-Jul-13 23:10:34

You shouldn't be put off a name because some can't pronounce it. If that was the case then the Irish are fucked. Excuse my language. No offence intended.

MultipleMama Sun 07-Jul-13 23:08:00

showofhands I may have read that in Gaius' voice! As we speak I'm watching Gaius on dvd (season 3) haha.

I Think the name itself is lovely and those who've heard the name know how to pronounce it.

I think people need to brush up their pronunciations of names! Haha.

Just want to say that I love this name! But had to give up for all the reasons mentioned above. Ds1 and ds2 have very sensible names, boo hoo...

LRDLearningKnigaBook Sun 07-Jul-13 22:06:39

Oh, god, please don't.

The BSG character is so fucking annoying and pointless.

How do you pronounce 'Caius'? Is it 'keys' or 'cai-us'? confused Another no for me.

PhallicGiraffe Sun 07-Jul-13 22:03:47

Dear god, I feel sorry for any kid named gayus.

NotYoMomma Sun 07-Jul-13 22:02:02

if you have a girl PLEASE call her Six!!!

NotYoMomma Sun 07-Jul-13 22:00:58

I thought of Battlestar Galactica.

go for it. he will be of much importance clearly

exoticfruits Sun 07-Jul-13 21:36:57

When they are a baby you can't tell if they will be strong enough to carry it off- I would assume they are not and not start them at a disadvantage.

Bunbaker Sun 07-Jul-13 18:56:20

It's all very well saying that it doesn't matter if your child gets teased.

Well it does - to the child. I have an unusual name and got so sick of being teased about it at school. And , no, it didn't toughen me up, it did the opposite and dented my self confidence because I hated other kids taking the mickey out of me.

I sometimes think that giving your children "out there" names is a big ego trip for the parents and a tad selfish because the parents choose the name they want without any regard to how the child feels.

formicadinosaur Sun 07-Jul-13 17:08:11

No way. What about Caius. I think it's spelt that way anyway. Love Rex what about Silus or Lucas

ZenGardener Sun 07-Jul-13 11:45:56

I knew a little boy called Caius. I can't remember where they were from now. They were a very international family. I thought it was a cool name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now