Gaius. Yay or nay?

(104 Posts)
GaiusIsAnAceName Fri 05-Jul-13 21:19:39

For a boy, pronounced Guy-us.

Classic Greek name and features heavily in the greatest TV show of all time - Battlestar Gallactica.

(had to name change as thus would totally out me IRL)

Cassieyellow Fri 05-Jul-13 22:03:17

think about them at school !

LookingForwardToMarch Fri 05-Jul-13 22:06:49

I would definitely remind you how cruel kids can be.

It would read and be called Gay-us.

Kids at my school would probably have gone the whole hog with Gay-us Maximus

GaiusIsAnAceName Fri 05-Jul-13 22:08:48

It might toughen him out. its not as bad as a boy named sue surely?

DP wouldn't let me have it anyway, for all the reasons you've listed. Thanks tho, was interested to see what the MN jury would make of it.

I'll go sulk now wink

DumSpiroSpero Fri 05-Jul-13 22:14:42

Aw, I think it's OK.

A lot of people would know how to pronounce it, thanks to the character in Merlin, and he could shorten it to Guy when he's older if he wanted to.

ouryve Fri 05-Jul-13 22:16:42

Great name, but doomed to a life of correcting people and dodging taunts. Maybe save it for a middle name, if you love it so much.

LookingForwardToMarch Sat 06-Jul-13 07:12:11

Could you maybe respell it guyus?

lilystem Sat 06-Jul-13 07:50:51

Love it. Absolutely love it.

May consider if we ever have another boy!

Smudging Sat 06-Jul-13 08:09:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ClaraOswald Sat 06-Jul-13 08:18:36

I like Gaius/Caius

ifindoubtnamechange Sat 06-Jul-13 11:03:29

Yes and get him a laminated "kick me" sign while you are at it..

Lots of "Gay As..." potential. Trying to protest the correct pronunciation wouldn't really help. That's not how teasing/bullying works.

Bunbaker Sat 06-Jul-13 11:26:42

"It might toughen him out."

Being bullied or teased foe whatever reason doesn't necessarily toughen children. I have read some heartbreaking posts on this forum from parents of bullied children. Why set him up as an easy target in the first place?

raisah Sat 06-Jul-13 12:45:45

B

bugsybill Sat 06-Jul-13 13:00:16

Sorry, too unusual for my tastes.

raisah Sat 06-Jul-13 13:26:43

Lovely name but too much potential for the school bullies to make a big deal out of it.

Turniptwirl Sat 06-Jul-13 16:29:06

Nay!

I also read it as Gay-us which would lead to teasing (think supply teachers pronouncing it wrong when doing the register, graffiti on his name written anywhere)

Really! What sort of schools did you all go to? Christ there was a fanny in my year who didn't get teased.

Kai is pronounced k-eye I really can't see the mispronunciation being an issue.

I like it op fwiw!

marriedinwhiteagain Sat 06-Jul-13 16:35:53

What about Gawain. Now that I like. Although I also like Merlin and Arthur (if dd had been a boy she might well have been an Arthur).

GaiusIsAnAceName Sat 06-Jul-13 18:13:04

kids will pick on anyone for anything. I think you lot might actually have strengthened my resolve to use it.

Kids round here have all manner of baffling names (KH would be horrified, although Poppy and India are vv common!), makes Gaius seem almost normal.grin

bumpitybumpbump Sat 06-Jul-13 19:21:10

I'm not sure about Gaius, I think it's a great name (wasn't it Cesaer's first name, or was that an HBO touch?), but echo the thoughts of others re, the teasing. Having said that I shall ignore all my and other advice as my fav boys name is Decimus.... If I have a boy next then it's a strong contender. Bit of a shame that it's the name we gave to our Landrover but hey ho....I have reconciled myself with the potential ridicule from all angles... :-) .

juneau Sat 06-Jul-13 19:33:40

Something Roman - fine. But Gaius? He's going to be mercilessly teased throughout his life and people won't call it Guy-us, I can tell you now.

Please pick something else. There are lots of lovely Roman names out there.

I'd immediately think of BSG. I'm not sure Gaius is someone I'd want to name my child after... grin

There is no point trying to tease-proof a name. The fact is, people who want to tease someone will always find something.

LynetteScavo Sat 06-Jul-13 19:37:37

Being an ignoramus I thought it was pronounced Gay-us. This has so much teasing potential for 11yo boys.

GaiusIsAnAceName Sat 06-Jul-13 20:12:22

I might call him Cylon instead...

RoadToTuapeka Sat 06-Jul-13 20:15:18

Nay! Teasing potential & endless telling people how to spell & pronounce it... And they will still tend to spell it wrong anyway. He will never get emails as name will always be mis-spelt!

Materfacit Sat 06-Jul-13 20:22:58

Nay from me.

Love Roman names, Ds was almost Octavian but not Gaius for pretty much all the reasons above.

Plus it's the real name of the emperor Caligula ( Caligula was a nickname given to him by the army- iirc it means 'little boots') - who was Gaius Julius Caesar Augustus Germanicus.

I'd keep him away from horses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now