Amy

(32 Posts)
ovenbun Fri 05-Jul-13 10:36:34

Hey,
what do you think of the name Amy? We love the meaning and it's also the name of a very dear friend of ours and we are hoping to use it if we have a DD. DH thinks it may be better to have a longer name with amy as a nn, such as Amelia. Can you think of any other names that Amy could be short for?

Happymum22 Sat 06-Jul-13 20:12:01

I love it. It is quite classic. Popular but not overly used anymore. Simple and sweet.

homeappliance Sat 06-Jul-13 22:14:43

Beautiful name for someone any age. Love the nn Mimi.

IShallCallYouSquishy Sat 06-Jul-13 22:18:07

Amy is an amazing name. All the most wonderful fantastic people are called Amy grin

(Nothing to do with it being my name, oh no!)

NoComet Sat 06-Jul-13 22:22:40

I'm utterly biased, the Amie I knew at university was beautiful and kind and knew her own mind.

It's a really pretty name, but too similar to DD1's (which was chosen when I was a teen) to use for DD2

bugsybill Sat 06-Jul-13 22:30:57

I like it but see it as a bit 80s.

I definitely prefer it to Amelia.

Amy is just fine (doesnt need a longer name) and it's length and simplicity are part of its appeal.

xTillyx Sat 06-Jul-13 22:38:30

Love Amy, with that spelling. Amie and other spellings are ok, but for me that one is the classic,girly,elegant way.

A lot of people told me my DD's name is an 80's name when I was pregnant. I didn't care, I was born in the 80's and know a lot of people with my name so I see it that DD's name goes well with mine smile

Breezy1985 Sat 06-Jul-13 22:39:00

I like it, there's 4 Amy's in my DC school so still used abit here, but then I always here how popular Amelia is and I don't know any, none in school either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now