Ronald

(41 Posts)
Redblackcar2 Mon 01-Jul-13 17:23:27

Thoughts on this please?

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Fri 05-Jul-13 21:14:36

Interesting thread.

I think the McDonald connection has killed it for a lot of people, but it's not my connection, so I like it as a name.

My Grandad was Ronald, but everyone knew him as Ron, which I think is a good, solid name. He was also movie-star handsome in his prime.

The problem with 'good, solid' names, is that that's not where the current vibe is for boys' names. Too many people are still caught up in the other end of the spectrum; cheeky chappy names - Alfie, Archie, Charlie, Harry, etc.

I'd say you're just ahead of the curve. If you like it, go for it. The Archie, Alfie names are definitely on their way out.

Also, a thought re a similar name... Donald.

Of you ask people about Donald, they'll inevitably say, 'no way, don't do it', 'Donald Duck', etc, etc, etc.

But, Don Draper (the real one, not moi grin) has added a whole lot of caché to that name, or the abbreviation of it, at least. And it also goes to show that once someone (in this case your old child) comes to own the name, any other associations go by the wayside.

Sorry for the essay, but just something to think about.

rockybalboa Fri 05-Jul-13 20:52:15

McDonald. Sorry...

PeriodMath Wed 03-Jul-13 21:35:42

DH calls his erection a Ronnie.

fussychica Wed 03-Jul-13 21:17:39

Hate it. FILs name - enough said!

Lovemynailstoday Wed 03-Jul-13 19:27:01

The Ranald I knew was very classy and very handsome, so it has good connotations for me!

Grange Hill Roland smile

Ranald sounds like a baddie's name to me.

Anjou Wed 03-Jul-13 11:03:01

I'm usually not bothered by associations/connotations of a name but I agree with other posters; McDonald, Reagan, Kray & I'll throw 'The Two...' In there for good measure. Not good!

Aside from that, it's just not a nice sound. I agree that Ranald is much nicer (nn Ran could be quite cool?). Roland to me should only be preceded by "oh come on ..." a la Grange Hill in the mid eighties. Roald is the nicest one in my opinion! smile

Maud2011 Tue 02-Jul-13 23:16:26

Lovemynailstoday (and I could do with taking your advice) - How weird is that, Ranald is actually a lovely name. I did hear it long ago but had forgotten all about it. What a difference a vowel can make!

Lovemynailstoday Tue 02-Jul-13 22:10:48

I knew a Ranald once and always liked the name.

exoticfruits Tue 02-Jul-13 21:59:00

No

Noooooo

Nowt wrong with Ron Weasley though. smile

Ronald = hideous
Roland = brilliant smile

Rhubarbgarden Tue 02-Jul-13 19:48:33

MacDonald or Reagan. No.

Gobbolino's suggestion of Roald is v good though.

Zzzzmarchhare Tue 02-Jul-13 19:33:18

I like it-I think in a few years time it will be back in fashion/ be considered cool. Looks like I'm the only one though.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Tue 02-Jul-13 11:03:08

I'm not keen. If you must, would you consider Roald?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 02-Jul-13 10:57:51

Unless you are Scottish or a snooker fan, I wouldn't.

squoosh Tue 02-Jul-13 10:56:30

Ronald is a truly awful name.

You have plenty of time to punish your child when they're a stroppy teen, please don't punish them with this name!

polkadotsrock Tue 02-Jul-13 10:50:47

I don't particularly like it, or any possible variations. Sorry.
But I will always caveat by saying that if you like it, then by all means use it, (but perhaps provide him with a middle name that is less 'marmite' just in case he's not a fan either)

Penny6Pence Tue 02-Jul-13 10:30:09

Ronny (with a y) is a name in its own right.

MavisSnapdragon Tue 02-Jul-13 10:20:23

Ronald McDonald House, Ron Weasley. No. Terrible. What about Vincent? Shortened to Vinnie, it has a similar feel but is a much cooler name imo.

dreamingofsun Tue 02-Jul-13 08:55:43

i know of a ronnie. so you could use that for every day....which i think is lovely. well known, but not regularly used

CoolStoryBro Mon 01-Jul-13 22:45:55

I like it, although I would worry it would get shortened to Ron which is up there with Brian as names unlikely to be revived.

DramaAlpaca Mon 01-Jul-13 22:40:51

Ronald, Rodney, Reginald, Ralph...

Awful, all of them.

Don't do it.

EleanorFarjeon Mon 01-Jul-13 22:39:38

NO!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now