Ferdinand

(24 Posts)
SandraClegane Tue 02-Jul-13 12:33:56

Interesting - I didn't realise it was perceived as 'Spanish' by many. I like it because it is a Germanic name (think Ferdinand Porsche) and baby will be 1/4 German.
Also didn't know it was so common as a surname! But oh well.
It seems to be much more agreeable than Wallace though wink; now all I have to do is try and get DH on board!!

squoosh Mon 01-Jul-13 12:32:03

I like it.

Much better than Wallace!

polkadotsrock Mon 01-Jul-13 12:17:26

Ah it was This Life I was thinking of!

WhiteShakette Mon 01-Jul-13 11:45:27

Nice name, and I knew a couple of baby Ferdinands in London, and one very cool elderly Jamaican when i was a student. I think the only drawback is nicknames, if you don't like 'Ferdy'.

DramaAlpaca Mon 01-Jul-13 00:20:35

Yes, I also immediately thought Ferdinand & Isabella.

To be honest, I think it's a bit like the male equivalent of Tabitha a great name for a cat.

Sorry!

AllegraLilac Mon 01-Jul-13 00:17:36

Great strong middle name.

EssexNanny Mon 01-Jul-13 00:05:46

I like it :-) I know of an 8 year old Ferdinand. With the nickname Ferdi :-)

lurcherlover Sun 30-Jun-13 23:53:25

I instantly think "and Isabella". If you have Spanish connections, great - if not, I'd avoid.

I also think it's cute on a baby and could work well on a grown man (although "Ferdy" sounds a bit undignified for an adult) but he's probably going to have a tough time at school when he's 14. I'm a secondary teacher and honestly, their tastes in humour haven't got any more sophisticated since we were at school...

ByHecuba Sun 30-Jun-13 23:45:02

Not if your last name is Bloggs or Higginbotham.. but Ferdy is cute. I think it would make a great and unexpected middle name too, if your DH won't entertain it as a first.

VBisme Sun 30-Jun-13 23:44:28

Ferdinand is a great name. It wouldn't cross my mind that it was a surname (but neither would Thomas).

mrsyattering Sun 30-Jun-13 23:42:10

I think Ferdi from This Life

BackforGood Sun 30-Jun-13 23:39:59

I don't like names that I presume are surnames, being used as first names - I just think it's going to cause confusion for the poor little chap saddled with it, throughout their life.
I know there are some that have become popular.... 'Thomas' for example, but there are lots of 'Thomas's around so people will expect that to be either, but that wouldn't work with either Wallace or Ferdinand.

Ikeameatballs Sun 30-Jun-13 23:36:16

I like it. Dd has a Quentin Blake book that ends with "and when Ferdinand decides to make a chocolate fudge banana cake, what do we do for goodness sake, we all join in."

bugsybill Sun 30-Jun-13 23:35:06

I think of the footballer too.

And I prefer Rio smile

MrsFrederickWentworth Sun 30-Jun-13 23:32:28

Anothet association, Ferdinand the Bull.

Wonderful children's book but might put you off the name.

jamtoast12 Sun 30-Jun-13 23:20:43

I agree with the footballer association. Dont like it at all sorry as it feels like 'trying too hard'

rockybalboa Sun 30-Jun-13 22:41:03

I love it. Have tried suggesting to DH a couple of times but he just dismisses it on the basis that we are not Spanish.

BartBaby Sun 30-Jun-13 22:39:17

Not keen, sorry. First thought was he's being named after the footballer. I hate football but still thought it.

If that doesnt bother you though then go with what you like smile

polkadotsrock Sun 30-Jun-13 22:37:47

The middle one looks good to me.
As an aside was there a Ferdie in Queer as Folk?

SandraClegane Sun 30-Jun-13 22:31:15

No, go ahead and speak your mind; I don't think anyone could actually put me off that name! Just interested in people's perception of the name.
Oh, and: Ferdi, Ferdie or Ferdy? Is there a 'standard' spelling?

Franz Ferdinand as in te band. I think they are pretty cool, but if you not then be prepared for everyone o think it's a bit fanboyish.

polkadotsrock Sun 30-Jun-13 22:26:20

Oh gosh, I hate saying it but I'm not a fan of that. Sorry. I do actually quite like Wallace though- I knew a Wallace and he was bonkers!! In the best possible way smile

PoppyWearer Sun 30-Jun-13 22:20:12

Ferdinand makes me think of Rio, the footballer (not a great association) but I like "Ferdi" as a nickname.

SandraClegane Sun 30-Jun-13 22:18:54

After my previous suggestion, Wallace, was met with, ahem, mixed emotions here on MN... wink
What do you think of Ferdinand? This is my absolute favourite at the moment, though DH doesn't agree to it (yet). Opinions? Associations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now