What would a girl called Odette look like?

(58 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Sat 29-Jun-13 21:27:27

Need to settle a debate with DH. We have drastically different opinions about this name.

So go for it please & describe your imaginary Odette...

Mine isn't imaginary. I went to school with one

Tall, lanky, greasy skin and hair. Sorry!

PoppyAmex Sat 29-Jun-13 21:29:32

I'm from Southern Europe, where this name is fairly common, so my experiences will be different from yours.

With that caveat...

Odette is middle aged, wears her hair "set" with tons of hairspray, has a very ample bosom and red nails.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 29-Jun-13 21:30:20

She'd look French.

Brunette, slim, pale.

runningonwillpower Sat 29-Jun-13 21:30:49

Well, she'd be tall and slender. Dark haired and definitely striking but not necessarily pretty. And she'd be well snooty.

I don't think I would be friends with Odette.

sittinginthesun Sat 29-Jun-13 21:30:57

Dark haired, angular Parisian girl.

ninah Sat 29-Jun-13 21:31:17

fat with pale skin and blue eyes

98percentchocolate Sat 29-Jun-13 21:32:11

My DD is an Odette - long dark hair, nice skin and features - beautiful! (But then I am biased!)

LesAnimaux Sat 29-Jun-13 21:32:25

I knew an Odette. She had black hair and dark skin. Very Asian looking, but was South African. She slept with my boyfriend (who was cocklodging living in my flat) and when I asked her if she had slept with him, she told me it was none of my business.

I called her Odious Odette after that.

That is the one and only experience of this name...I'm sure there are some lovely Odettes out there. Personally I'd go for Ottilie.

(Did I over answer the question?)

FrancesFarmer Sat 29-Jun-13 21:32:29

Proustian!

Marlinspike Sat 29-Jun-13 21:35:53

Petite, dark, vivacious, stylish ... a hint of the Audrey Hepburn about her.

As a negative she can be capricious and spiteful.

Happiestinwellybobs Sat 29-Jun-13 21:36:20

French looking, brunette, short hair, angular features, tres chic! But imagine she will be quite insular and hard to get to know.

austenozzy Sat 29-Jun-13 21:39:46

I knew an Odette. She's Portuguese, dark hair, petite, pretty - and a very forthright woman! Great laugh, but don't piss her off... :-)

takeaway2 Sat 29-Jun-13 21:42:00

Beautiful. She goes to school with
My son and she's v sweet, smart and polite.

SugarandSpice126 Sat 29-Jun-13 21:44:54

fat, dumpy, and very unlike able! As with every name, at least some people are going to know a horrible person with that name! It's why I hate "simon", "mark", "john", "sophie" - it's hard not to connect them with the people you know!

Pretty, dark, slender.

Long necked, very pale, almost completely white, and powerful yet apparently serene. Has a dark side.

PistachioTruffle Sat 29-Jun-13 21:46:48

My imaginary Odette is pretty, long blonde hair and fair skinned. Quite feminine and girly in style and appearance.

bugsybill Sat 29-Jun-13 21:48:37

I think of a young girl, quiet, shy, pale skin, dark straight long hair an freckles.

bugsybill Sat 29-Jun-13 21:53:16

I think of a young girl, quiet, shy, pale skin, dark straight long hair and freckles. With a musical/artistic streak.

Thurlow Sat 29-Jun-13 21:59:35

Sturdy.

beachesandbuckets Sat 29-Jun-13 22:00:10

Fat and from the Deep South, likes fried food and lives in a trailer.

ninah Sat 29-Jun-13 22:01:32

yes, beaches! def a fat name
cries big fat tears, too

mikkii Sat 29-Jun-13 22:05:18

My cousin is called Odette. I haven't seen her in about 35 years.

She was, quite petite, dark skinned with dark hair.

nulgirl Sat 29-Jun-13 22:14:02

Like someone's gran. According to my French husband it would be like calling a child the french equivalent of Jean or Hilda

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now