Antigone or Tigris

(106 Posts)
DaveMccave Fri 28-Jun-13 21:36:22

I know it will be a minority that could consider either better than the other but anyone have an opinion to a preference? nn Tiggy.

DaveMccave Fri 28-Jun-13 23:16:31

It was the first story that made dd (not Lyra, but has all those letters wink ) belly laugh out loud, at stinky face which definitely isn't the funniest. And I love it because it's the shortest story we have. And the comedy value of saying Soggy Muff with a straight face. smile

Don't be ridiculous floggingmolly. They are both names, with meaning and Greek and Latin origin. Just because they are not widely used or you dislike them does not mean they cease to exist. What bizarre egotistical logic.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 28-Jun-13 23:16:58

Well,I live in South Wales. smile

I think that's the correct prn though?

Rather than Anti-gon which sounds rather less attractive.

elQuintoConyo Fri 28-Jun-13 23:17:35

Can't you just name her Tiggy straight out and avoid the embarassment of Antigone/Tigris?
You might as well put Lady Consuela Banana Hammock on her birth certificate if you're going to call her Tiggy anyway.

Of those two, Antigone. I would think "Hmm, I can see why she shortens it to Tiggy" but it's a proper girls' name with a long history behind it. Tigris I think I'd probably assume (knowing that it was a person but with no other information) to be a boy, although I have no idea why given that most river names are female.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 28-Jun-13 23:19:11

To be fair lolly I'm not privately educated,though was a mythology nerd as a kid.

Plus the Welsh as a people like their words to have as many syllables as possible, if the word itself doesn't give us the syllables we'll often just pop them in anyway grin

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 28-Jun-13 23:20:16

OP

The Tiggy I knew wasn't embarrassed by her name. I believe she does go by Antigone now,except with old school friends.

thecatfromjapan Fri 28-Jun-13 23:21:59

I'm loving the description of the Welsh love of vowels. Alvis, you've made me wish I could speak Welsh.

Elquota Fri 28-Jun-13 23:45:16

I like Tigris!

There's a legend where St Patrick had a sister named Tigris.

nooka Sat 29-Jun-13 07:24:28

I studied Antigone when I was doing Classics and she was quite a cool character, so given that's the reason you like the name I think I'd go for Antigone.

I expect that people who find it reminds them of cleaners etc are thinking Anti - gone as the pronunciation, as opposed to the Greek Ant-i-go-nee (like Hermione).

So it might be a better name if you live somewhere multi-cultural perhaps.

To me Tigris really is just the river and not a name. Tiggy is OK I guess!

Ifancyashandy Sat 29-Jun-13 07:36:18

Antigone, definitely. A really pretty name. Not keen on Tiggy though.

ghosteditor Sat 29-Jun-13 07:51:32

I'm not privately educated or southern either and I developed a love of classics all by myself lolly!

I still think Antigone. But don't assume you'll get to dictate a nickname - it'll be out of your control before too long smile.

I liked Cassandra but DH didn't. I also know an Electra, two Athenas, and an Aphrodite, all non-Greek and under 20.

I know a wee Antigone nn Tiggy so have a soft spot for it.

Tigris looks like a car brand.

LalyRawr Sat 29-Jun-13 08:58:41

I admit I had to Google to find out how to pronounce Antigone.

It's very pretty, but I can't get over the spelling! I would automatically pronounce it as Anti-gone which sounds like a drug!

Though I'm aware that's more my own ignorance than anything else.

MyThumbsHaveGoneWeird Sat 29-Jun-13 09:38:15

I know a Felicity nn Tiggy. I think you can use any nn for any name really so don't be limited by that. Still like Antigone though.

zingally Sat 29-Jun-13 15:22:30

Not unless you hate your child.

Justfornowitwilldo Sat 29-Jun-13 16:39:19

So many people seem to be both ignorant of many names and quick to comment without bothering to do a quick google.

Bunbaker Sat 29-Jun-13 17:50:04

I admit to having a quick google before I commented because I had never come across that name before. Being familiar with Hermione I sort of assumed Antigone would be pronounced an-ti-gonee. However, I can see that a lot of people might not realise as it isn't exactly a mainstream name.

nooka Sat 29-Jun-13 18:17:23

I would have thought the OP would find a pregoogle response rather more useful, because generally speaking most people encountering her dd for the first time will not have google easily to hand.

I love Cassandra and was also a bit of a Greek geek as a kid. I don't dislike Antigone but DO think it looks try-hard, whilst Cassandra seems much more use-able to me. I love Hermione too.

RaRaZ Sat 29-Jun-13 21:04:17

Hahaha re the tropical disease comment - I second that! :-D

bugsybill Sat 29-Jun-13 22:24:46

Tigris is much much better.

Antigone is to me =anti disappeared confused

Are they boys names or girls names? Tiggy sounds like a girls nickname, while Tigris sounds like a boys name.

Alisvolatpropiis Sat 29-Jun-13 22:26:28

bugsy

Both are girls names.

Antigone is prn An-tig-on-ee

Not Anti-gon.

SizzleSazz Sat 29-Jun-13 22:30:12

Our tent is a Vango Tigris grin

bugsybill Sat 29-Jun-13 22:36:58

Have just read the earlier posts.

How is Tigris pronounced? I would say tie-griss like a tiger/princess.

amazingmumof6 Sat 29-Jun-13 22:45:44

I really don't like either, but hate Antigone more.

if you want to nn your child Tiggy, do that regardless of legal name.
choose something less weird.

our DS2 is Samuel, his nn evolved like this: Sammy, Sammyboo, Sammy-bammy, Sam-bam, Bam-Bam, Bammers, Bamster

so from Samuel to Bamster. next predictable step is Hamster - would be appropriate coz he is always stuffing his cheeks with food!grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now