Antigone or Tigris

(106 Posts)
DaveMccave Fri 28-Jun-13 21:36:22

I know it will be a minority that could consider either better than the other but anyone have an opinion to a preference? nn Tiggy.

TheSecondComing Fri 28-Jun-13 22:19:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DaveMccave Fri 28-Jun-13 22:22:27

Ah...Tygra! Yeah I was a big thundercats fan as a toddler... Maybe this is where it's come from. I think I actually prefer Tygra but it rhymes with dd's name.

thecatfromjapan We didn't find out the sex, so this topic could be pointless. I would probably use it for anymore future girls though as I find girls name agonisingly difficult compared to boys.

The response so far is much more positive than I thought. I'm presuming popular name fans are wisely ignoring though.

Earnshaw Fri 28-Jun-13 22:24:54

scaevola. Euphrates would be the third child. No prizes for naming the one in the middle.

SingingSands Fri 28-Jun-13 22:28:09

It's a bit of a mouthful is Antigone, but not awful, just unusual. I like it. My Chanel lipstick shade is called Antigone!

Tiggy is awful though, sorry!

MrsPresley Fri 28-Jun-13 22:34:14

SingingSands

Tiggy is not awful angry

My cat is called Tiggy, it's a lovely name for a cat grin

WireCat Fri 28-Jun-13 22:35:09

Neither.

morethanpotatoprints Fri 28-Jun-13 22:36:01

Antigone sounds like some sort of decaler or cleaner. Tiggy the clown?

MerryMarigold Fri 28-Jun-13 22:39:09

Antigone mildly better than Tigris who sounds like the character from Kung Fu Panda.

Your name reminds me of Dr Seuss and the Daves (was mcCave their surname?). My favourite name in that is Marvin O' Gravel Balloon Face. And I think that is marginally less bizarre than Antigone or Tigris!

Viviennemary Fri 28-Jun-13 22:42:14

I thought they were places you were thinking of visiting on holiday. But names?? Both equally dire. Sorry.

MerryMarigold Fri 28-Jun-13 22:44:16

Oh, Kung Fu Panda's one is Tigress.

Or there's always Soggy Muff (also from Too Many Daves).

DaveMccave Fri 28-Jun-13 22:46:05

merrymarigold mn declined the use of Marvinogravelballoonface as a username, much to my disappointment grin

MerryMarigold Fri 28-Jun-13 22:46:44

Am assuming your dd1 is Lyra, which is relatively normal in comparison to these two names.

Well, let's hope it's a boy. Bodkin van Horn here you come!

MerryMarigold Fri 28-Jun-13 22:48:05

Oh Dave, that is a tragedy. I wonder why. My kids cannot have that story read to them without cracking up the entire way through! I just love the way it does that to them - and me. It's brilliant.

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 28-Jun-13 22:49:45

MerryMarigold beat me to it.

I was going to suggest Soggy Muff. Try reading that story with a straight face!

Floggingmolly Fri 28-Jun-13 22:53:46

Both of those are simply random collections of letters, not names.

piemashandliquer Fri 28-Jun-13 22:54:29

I love antigone, and tiggy. Wanted to call my dd that, but didnt go with our boring surname. Go for it, its beautiful. My greek friend's sister is an antigone but nonnie for short.

lollydollydrop Fri 28-Jun-13 23:05:23

People who like Antigone, can you explain Why? Just curious, as I think potatoprints comment on descaler/cleaner was spot on!!!

lollydollydrop Fri 28-Jun-13 23:09:25

Just googled Antigone and realised its a girls name. If I were named this by my mother there is no question I would be changing my name!!! Sorry

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 28-Jun-13 23:10:24

lolly

I like the on-ee ending. Same reason I like Hermione and Persephone. Granted I like the latter two names more.

thecatfromjapan Fri 28-Jun-13 23:10:31

There's something quite Victorian/Edwardian Bohemian about naming your child after a Classical heroine.

As Dave points out: the name has strong associations (didn;t Hegel write on Antigone? or was it just the post-Hegelian, late C20th French philosophers who did? And I think Antigone was quite "big" in late C20 feminist political thought, too).

And it's a name that would be equally apt on a model, actor, scientist, head-of-industry, civil servant ... Prime Minister - so it's one of those really flexible names.

Great choice.

lollydollydrop Fri 28-Jun-13 23:12:20

How do you pn it?

thecatfromjapan Fri 28-Jun-13 23:12:34

I think it does sound good too.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 28-Jun-13 23:13:32

An-tig-on-ee

lollydollydrop Fri 28-Jun-13 23:13:58

Its obviously not a Northern name grin Can only assume you live in the South, probs SouthEast wink

lollydollydrop Fri 28-Jun-13 23:15:30

Ok I didnt realise that, she would prob get pronunciation problems from normal people like me (i.e. not privately educated on Greek mythology) sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now