Alba or Murron

(66 Posts)

I like Alba, DH likes Murron. We are of scottish blood living in England, which is why I think Alba better as Murron only sounds nice in a scots accent.

Or any other Scottish girls names you would like to add please feel free.

Should of said last name starts with a C and ends in a Y and lots of L's in it so no names ending in a ee sound.

Alba

Zeenah Fri 28-Jun-13 18:51:19

Do you have the name Ailbhe in Scotland? it's pronounced like Alva, but I like Alba too. That means Dawn in Spanish, is that a Scottish name? confused

I like Shona.

Zeenah Fri 28-Jun-13 18:53:30

ps, is Murron the Scottish gaelic/same name as Muirrean (pronounced Mwirren in Ireland). I like Muirreann / MWIRRen but not sure if I've got the right end of the stick here. I like it I think.

Its similar in sound yes zeenah and Alba is the gaelic name for scotland

ZipItShrimpy Fri 28-Jun-13 18:57:59

Love, love, love Murron.

RoooneyMara Fri 28-Jun-13 19:08:24

Murron is nice - makes me think of chestnuts smile

Alba used to be a popular very cheap brand of hifi equipment so cannot get my head around liking that grin sorry!

Zeenah Fri 28-Jun-13 19:46:16

oh right! can't believe I didn't know that blush

Figgygal Fri 28-Jun-13 19:49:30

I'm same Scottish in England if ever have a girl I'd love alba but dh says it just reminds him of crap electronics company of the same name and has vetoed it hmm

ZolaBuddleia Fri 28-Jun-13 19:54:19

Love Alba. Don't like Murron at all, but do like Morven.

ZipItShrimpy Fri 28-Jun-13 20:00:47

Was Murron not William Wallace's wife in Braveheart?

FoxyRevenger Fri 28-Jun-13 20:08:19

Love Alba!

Murron is a bit schemey. prefer Alba.

Alternatives:

Fallon
Mairi
Kirsty/Kirsten
Rhona
Tiree
Nairne
Rowan

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 28-Jun-13 21:54:33

Alba.

babybarrister Fri 28-Jun-13 21:58:45

Sounds like moron - high tease likelihood imogrin

hatebeak Fri 28-Jun-13 22:04:13

A murrain is a deadly cattle plague, so that puts me off Murron. Alba is quite nice.

bugsybill Fri 28-Jun-13 22:04:38

Alba

MaryBateman Fri 28-Jun-13 22:27:27

Neither. Murron isn't really a nice name for a girl, no matter how you try and sell it as being 'Scottish' and Alba is the name in England for the Scots Gaelic BBC channel. With the richness of the Scots Gaelic language are they really the best names you can think of? Please give it further thought.

Is Murron not Scottish then?

How about giving me some alternatives instead then!

trixymalixy Fri 28-Jun-13 23:11:40

I prefer Mirren to Murron.

chesticles Fri 28-Jun-13 23:18:18

Sorry, don't like either. I'm Scottish and have never even heard of murron. It took me to half way down thread to realise it was a girls name (if it is) I would.d maybe suggest Ailsa or Anna, and must admit I love Annie!. If its a boy ( li,e I thought murron was, then Murray is lovely)

Actually although my favourite girls names when I had my boys were Mairi and Kirsty. if I had to pick a girls name now, I think I would go for Lorna smile

TheSecondComing Fri 28-Jun-13 23:49:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SingingSands Fri 28-Jun-13 23:55:04

Alba.

Murron just doesn't sound nice, and I'm Scottish. Tbh I thought it was made up just for the Braveheart movie!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now