Aaaaargh GIRLS name :(

(73 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Thu 27-Jun-13 19:37:18

I'm going (possible pregnancy led) bonkers!!!!

I've put so many posts on here, so many shortlists & had to delete the recent (most helpful) one because in my baby brained state I revealed my highly unusual surname.

I just loathe virtually all girls names sad and those I do like, DH detests sad he's French...that's important in our choice.

Please help us pick before baby arrives!!

Current short list = Aurora, Isolde, Jasmine or Juliette. I accept that Juliette is the most mainstream of those & therefore likely to be the favourite but I'm concerned it's becoming popular v fast plus I don't like the fact it means 'little Julie' (has to be the French version). None of our short list names feel 'perfect'.

Also v open to other suggestions I might like based on that short list - please think outside the box!!!

Thank you so much, someone has to be able to figure this out for me!

fuckwittery Fri 28-Jun-13 04:23:59

Arianne - v underused but lovely! (1731st, 10 babies in E&W 2010)

fuckwittery Fri 28-Jun-13 04:26:26

Would you not pronounce claudia as in cloud, not claw, or are you just worried about the anglicised pronunciation?

BumbleBee2011 Fri 28-Jun-13 05:31:27

Claudia is "claw" in French too, "clou" as in "cloud" is German (tbh most names sound better with German pronunciation wink)

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Fri 28-Jun-13 05:56:13

I love Celine, but it may well be dated in France.

As well as Aurelie, there is Aurelia.

BoyMeetsWorld Fri 28-Jun-13 06:00:39

Bumblebee, as you sound so similar to my situation....which Breton names do you like, which your DH has vetoed? Perhaps my DH would like some!

nooka Fri 28-Jun-13 06:13:13

dd has a Julienne in her class (although she is mostly known as Julie) I thought that was pretty and unusual. Personally I prefer the look of Juliet to Juliette, but wither way it's another pretty name.

I would have thought that Jasmine was more commonly used that Juliette.

LittlePebble Fri 28-Jun-13 06:19:56

Isolde is so beautiful please choose it

larsandtherealgirl Fri 28-Jun-13 06:30:29

My friend is English and her husband is French and they called their daughter Solveig (pronounced Solvay). It's a Scandinavian name but sounds beautiful in English or French.

HoneyandRum Fri 28-Jun-13 09:27:22

Love that Lars.

baskingseals Fri 28-Jun-13 09:38:58

I think Agnes sounds absolutely beautiful in French, I would have used it for dd except I couldn't justify it at all, sadly having zero French heritage.

Also really like Solange, Delphine and Fabienne.

Eskino Fri 28-Jun-13 09:39:58

I know a French 'Marcelle'. I think its a beautiful and strong name.

mixedmamameansbusiness Fri 28-Jun-13 10:52:24

I like Edith too, but only in pronounced in the French way Ee dit.

In Tristan and Isolde, Isolde is Irish and doesn't have the duh sound at the end.

Either way though I will say it again stunning stunning name.

BoyMeetsWorld Fri 28-Jun-13 11:43:31

The other name I do really like is Eliana (I have Hebrew roots) meaning 'of the sun or 'God has answered'. Probably with Juliette as the mn...

What do people think of that option?

Julienne is also lovely thanks to whoever suggested that, I'll see what DH thinks of it

LittlePandaBear Fri 28-Jun-13 13:26:47

I think Eliana is really pretty, but you'd have to be preapred for it to be shortened to Ellie, of which there are many.

BoyMeetsWorld Fri 28-Jun-13 13:41:54

Do you think it could be shortened to Annie instead or would Ellie be inevitable?

Elquota Fri 28-Jun-13 14:31:27

Eliana Juliette would be a lovely combination. And what a great meaning too.

Chantal (always quite liked it since French lessons at school!)

Like Julienne too.

How do you pronouce Isolde?

BoyMeetsWorld Fri 28-Jun-13 15:07:56

Lily - we'd pronounce it Izz-Ol-Duh

BumbleBee2011 Fri 28-Jun-13 17:24:04

In the Breton names I quite liked Nolwenn/Nolwene (tbh there are lots of spellings/variations of most Breton names, you can usually pick your favourite!)

Also Maela/Maelie (pronounced mah-eh-la/mah-eh-lee)

If you google "prenoms bretons" a few sites list them alphabetically for boys or girls.

MortifiedAdams Fri 28-Jun-13 17:26:36

What are Breton names and why are they called that?

Slavetominidictator Fri 28-Jun-13 17:35:57

Love love love Isolde - I have a Claudia and Isolde is on my short list for dd2 yet to be conceived.

Fantail Fri 28-Jun-13 19:41:55

Mortified - Breton names are from Brittany in France. Breton is a Celtic language.

MortifiedAdams Fri 28-Jun-13 19:51:02

Ah ok thanks Fantail. Onoy just worked out what a Breton top is, to then find out they have Breton names too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now