Jonathan
Paul
Stephen
Gregory
Peter
Andrew
Philip

Mary

Oh I've realised that my list is all made up of names with a history in the Christian tradition so that might explain why, with the decline in church attendance? Would that really be a reason or is it purely fashion?

DesertOrchid Wed 26-Jun-13 22:04:04

I have a Sally, that seems underused.

Only about 50 or so a year, and yet Molly, Milly, Polly, Tilly, all relatively common.

I do find people think it's my name rather than hers though!

PiratePanda Wed 26-Jun-13 19:30:32

Trevor
Marjorie
Nigel
Donald
Mavis

glorious Wed 26-Jun-13 19:23:29

I have an Ellen honey and we were aiming at classic but underused so I'm glad at least one other person agrees! I find it surprising given how popular Ellie/Ella are. Lots of lovely names here imo.

FreedomOfTheTess Wed 26-Jun-13 13:04:09

Margaret is a there or thereabouts name in the U.S.

It has lingered in the 100s (mainly the mid to late 100s) ever since dropping out the top 100.

It never fell completely out of favour like it did here.

HoneyandRum Wed 26-Jun-13 12:57:10

Back in the US we had a young neighbour called Margaret (and her name was never shortened) her brothers were Parker and Sam. Two doors down lived Miles, Clare and Owen! So maybe Americans are willing to relaunch some classic names before the Brits?

FreedomOfTheTess Wed 26-Jun-13 12:40:16

NigellasGuest - when Mary was born, the name Jean suddenly popped into my head, and it took as about 10 days to finally settle on Mary.

However realistically, with a son named Jack, we felt we couldn't use Jean, as they're both obviously forms of John.

MortifiedAdams Wed 26-Jun-13 12:06:06

Little boy (under two), in the park today called Owen - not a name common around young 'uns!

Wincher Wed 26-Jun-13 09:16:55

We are considering Nicholas for DS - I'd definitely call it a classic name, yet I haven't met any small ones recently, and we were surprised to find it has fallen out of the top 100.

NigellasGuest Tue 25-Jun-13 23:00:53

just wondering, has Downton had an influence on the resurgence of Mary?
I love Diana, it feels SO elegant.
I'm weird, I like Julie, and Jean.

Has anyone mentioned Jane? they don't come more classic than that! definitely due a revival!

CocktailQueen Tue 25-Jun-13 23:00:26

My Rebecca is almost 10 - a great name smile

ellesabe Tue 25-Jun-13 22:51:35

I'd give Margaret another decade...

SaguaroBlossom Tue 25-Jun-13 22:11:37

Does anyone know any babies called Margaret? Seems to have completely disappeared.

ellesabe Mon 24-Jun-13 19:16:29

I was going to say Mary too - where are they all?

SugarMouse1 Mon 24-Jun-13 18:55:54

Caroline
Patricia
Rose
Laura
Louisa
Jennifer
Rachael
Elsa/Elsie
Jayne
Harriet
Josephine
Susannah
Francine
Victoria
Helena
Eleanor
Thelma
Theodora
Felicity
Cecilia

CPtart Mon 24-Jun-13 15:41:18

Natalie
Catherine
Jennifer

Andrew
Christopher

eatyourveg Mon 24-Jun-13 15:25:00

I bet Mary will soar in popularity soon (odds on favourite in my book for the royal baby)

sweetkitty Mon 24-Jun-13 15:24:28

I know 3 Andrews under 5
2 Maria's
2 Michaels
3 Sarah's
1 Theresa
1 Mary
1 John
1 Raymond (both named after their Dad)
1 Brian

PeterParkerSays Mon 24-Jun-13 15:13:38

I can think of a number of girl's names that I think of as being elegant / grown up, which don't seem popular:

Audrey
Evelyn
Miriam
Ursula

Generally pick up a D H Lawrence book and choose a woman's name at random!

squoosh Mon 24-Jun-13 15:12:14

That's interesting that Mary is already making a comeback in Ireland, the last batch would only be in their mid to late 40's by now.

I'm a bit torn on Mary, on the one hand I love it's elegant simplicity, on the other hand I don't like the Virgin Mary connection and the fact that I and every other Irish woman my age has Mary as their middle name.

Mollydoggerson Mon 24-Jun-13 15:08:06

Mary is making a big comeback in Ireland. I know at least 2 baby Mary's.

HoneyandRum Mon 24-Jun-13 10:56:08

Anthony - is that being used in the UK at the mo for babies?

Sarah
Elizabeth
Ruth
Robert

HoneyandRum Mon 24-Jun-13 10:27:17

Mary is a lovely name and will be a lot more cutting edge due to being so little used for babies.

FreedomOfTheTess Mon 24-Jun-13 09:56:47

*daughters' names - d'oh!

FreedomOfTheTess Mon 24-Jun-13 09:56:26

My daughters are Sarah and Mary.

Sarah might still be top 100, but it's been sliding down the list for several years now, and it's certainly not as widely used as it was at the height of its popularity. When my Sarah (3) was born, I got a lot of, "oh you don't hear that a lot these days, how beautiful" comments. In fact people still say today, "how refreshing to hear of a Sarah among a sea of <insert today's popular names here>."

Mary (2 weeks tomorrow) has met with similar response, in fact people seem a little bit more excited about Mary, as it really has gone out of favour.

I've had a couple of negative reactions. I dropped DS1 and DS2 at school today, the first time since Mary was born, and a lot of the other mums rushed to see her. One of them, as bold as brass said, "So you have settled on Mary then? It's a bit old for me." shock Her daughter's name? Ruby. Yeah because that's not old at all!

Anyhow, I love my daughter's names, and although we wobbled for a few days on Mary, now when I look at her I can't imagine her with any other name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now