Jonathan
Paul
Stephen
Gregory
Peter
Andrew
Philip

Mary

Oh I've realised that my list is all made up of names with a history in the Christian tradition so that might explain why, with the decline in church attendance? Would that really be a reason or is it purely fashion?

Mollydoggerson Sun 23-Jun-13 21:03:26

Bridget
Helen
Francis
Margaret

Edward

HoneyandRum Sun 23-Jun-13 21:03:58

Squoosh agreed. The US population is at least 25% Catholic so that also explains Michael's continued popularity there too. Gabriel survived much better better in Ireland for the same reason.

Other classic Catholic names
Teresa
Francis
Xavier
Benedict
Raphael/Raphaela
Clare
Patrick
Bridget
Maria

Not to say non-Catholics don't use them but Catholics consistently do.

HoneyandRum Sun 23-Jun-13 21:05:13

Cross-post on Bridget and Francis wink

HoneyandRum Sun 23-Jun-13 21:06:53

We had a neighbor called Bridget back in the US she was born around 2003. Her parents said they had never met a Bridget they didn't like. Her brother was Jack.

HoneyandRum Sun 23-Jun-13 21:09:30

There aren't many names beginning with B or P (I don't count Phoebe!) that are popular right now?

Boris?

FleeBee Sun 23-Jun-13 21:13:08

I know lots of Ben / Benjamin

mrspaddy Sun 23-Jun-13 21:17:16

We are going for Mary if we have a little girl.

HoneyandRum Sun 23-Jun-13 21:18:17

More underused for baby girls?

Ellen
Caroline
Jane
Frances
Rachel
Joan
Ann/Anne
Deborah
Virginia
Sally
Patricia
Dinah

mrspaddy Sun 23-Jun-13 21:21:17

www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2012/12/why-dont-parents-name-their-daughters-mary-anymore/265881/

This is a nice article on the use of the name Mary. We are both Catholic.

HoneyandRum Sun 23-Jun-13 21:22:39

TheApprentice hello Mary grin!

HoneyandRum Sun 23-Jun-13 21:29:31

Interesting MrsPaddy but I wonder why he doesn't also follow Maria/Marie as those of Latino descent are a large section of the population and most are at least nominally Catholic. I agree with him on the naming trend for more individual name choices.

Zeb as rather fantastic though! Mentioned as a grandad's name. Is it safe enough to have a Zebeedee these days [showing my Magic Roundabout age]?

Winterfel Sun 23-Jun-13 21:48:45

Susan
Helen

Michael
Peter

invicta Sun 23-Jun-13 21:52:34

Patricia
Theresa
Simone
Maria
Mary
Helen
Felicity

Paul
Steven
Stephen
David
Richard
Nicholas
Andrew

Yika Sun 23-Jun-13 21:53:52

Barbara

Naebother Sun 23-Jun-13 21:55:00

Colin
Lesley
Julie
Sharon
Stephen
Adrian
Kay
Phil

Naebother Sun 23-Jun-13 21:56:03

Just realised. You said " classic" OP blush

TheApprentice Mon 24-Jun-13 07:09:17

Yes, Honey, that was pretty obvious wasn't it? I would like it if Kate and Will's baby is a girl and is called Mary - its due a comeback I think! Incidentally I am not Catholic but Mary was the only name my Dad liked in the baby book apparently!

manicinsomniac Brazil Mon 24-Jun-13 07:47:46

Rebecca and Sarah are still in common use for babies - they're both in the top 100 for 2011 anyway.

I don't know if they're classic or not but names I haven't seen on anyone under 13 for a long time are:

Amanda, Angela, Barbara, Brenda, Belinda, Caroline, Clarissa, Celia, Diana, Erica, Frances, Freda, Gloria, Gwendoline, Heather, Irene, Julie, Janet, Jane, Jean, Joan, Laeticia, Marjorie, Maureen, Monica, Muriel, Patricia, Pamela, Prudence, Ruth, Rita, Susan, Shirley, Sandra, Theresa, Ursula, Veronica, Virginia, Winifred, Wilhemina, Yolanda, Yvonne, Yvette.

Alistair, Nigel, Norman, Ian, Frank, Gareth, Graham, Colin, Derek, Darren, Martin, John, Timothy

I think boys names are a) less numerous anyway and b) don't go out of fashion so much

FreedomOfTheTess Mon 24-Jun-13 09:56:26

My daughters are Sarah and Mary.

Sarah might still be top 100, but it's been sliding down the list for several years now, and it's certainly not as widely used as it was at the height of its popularity. When my Sarah (3) was born, I got a lot of, "oh you don't hear that a lot these days, how beautiful" comments. In fact people still say today, "how refreshing to hear of a Sarah among a sea of <insert today's popular names here>."

Mary (2 weeks tomorrow) has met with similar response, in fact people seem a little bit more excited about Mary, as it really has gone out of favour.

I've had a couple of negative reactions. I dropped DS1 and DS2 at school today, the first time since Mary was born, and a lot of the other mums rushed to see her. One of them, as bold as brass said, "So you have settled on Mary then? It's a bit old for me." shock Her daughter's name? Ruby. Yeah because that's not old at all!

Anyhow, I love my daughter's names, and although we wobbled for a few days on Mary, now when I look at her I can't imagine her with any other name.

FreedomOfTheTess Mon 24-Jun-13 09:56:47

*daughters' names - d'oh!

HoneyandRum Mon 24-Jun-13 10:27:17

Mary is a lovely name and will be a lot more cutting edge due to being so little used for babies.

Sarah
Elizabeth
Ruth
Robert

HoneyandRum Mon 24-Jun-13 10:56:08

Anthony - is that being used in the UK at the mo for babies?

Mollydoggerson Mon 24-Jun-13 15:08:06

Mary is making a big comeback in Ireland. I know at least 2 baby Mary's.

squoosh Mon 24-Jun-13 15:12:14

That's interesting that Mary is already making a comeback in Ireland, the last batch would only be in their mid to late 40's by now.

I'm a bit torn on Mary, on the one hand I love it's elegant simplicity, on the other hand I don't like the Virgin Mary connection and the fact that I and every other Irish woman my age has Mary as their middle name.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now