(45 Posts)
Redblackcar2 Sat 22-Jun-13 17:35:48

Thoughts on this please .

BonaDea Sat 22-Jun-13 22:33:39

Sorry, I hate it.

Megsdaughter Sat 22-Jun-13 22:39:11

I know a gorgeous Jago, from a Cornish family smile

singaporeswing Sun 23-Jun-13 06:59:07

I love the name. DP is called James so would love to honour him that way, but he always looks at me very strangely & scoffs if I mention the name.

barnet Sun 23-Jun-13 07:05:10

Jago is lovely.

We know a Jago, love the name

bugsybill Sun 23-Jun-13 07:18:53

I have never heard it before and would have assumed it was pronounced jay-go.

It is different but I do quite like it. I have an unusual Cornish name myself (old family name) but have never looked into other Cornish names. Might have to do some googling.....

bugsybill Sun 23-Jun-13 07:23:14

For some reason I don't see it as posh at all. I would think the family was artistic/alternative but I wouldn't think they were posh.

VinegarDrinker Sun 23-Jun-13 07:24:07

I know a newborn one, also Cornish (in origin, now in London). I think the pronunciation is fairly obvious. They aren't in the least posh btw.

natandmat Sun 23-Jun-13 11:16:56

I love it now I know how to say it! I've been after a Cornish boys name, I've picked Agnes for a girl already!

Only slight prob is my OH name is James, often shortened by his family to Jay, I'm worried it may be a bit too similar?

BlueStarsAtNight Sun 23-Jun-13 11:23:19

I really don't like it, and seem in a minority but don't think the pronunciation is at all obvious - I'd have assumed it was yay-go, but think they'd also get jag-o a lot. I know it's a real name but just sounds make up and weird to me!

serin Sun 23-Jun-13 12:30:06

It's a lovely name.

I picture a little surfer dude, I don't think it is as posh as say, Ludo and Mungo.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 23-Jun-13 13:35:51

I love Iago, Welsh form of the same name, but it's really just not usable sad

I would use Jago instead,I really like it. I definitely don't see it as being in the same sphere of names as Crispin!

rosalux Wed 14-Aug-13 20:42:30

I love it, but then I'm biased as our 2yr old DS is called Jago. And yes it is pronounced Jay-go. DP is Cornish and wanted a Cornish name. It's actually DS' middle name, but everyone calls him Jago, including all the health officials etc, and it's sometimes shortened to J. I'm surprised people think it's posh though, or difficult to pronounce. All his little toddler friends find it really easy to say, but I guess they only hear it. We're in Bristol, btw, and I've not met any other Jago's here yet, but I believe it's quite common in Cornwall.

MogTheForgetfulCat Wed 14-Aug-13 21:17:46

Love it smile

PinkGlove Wed 14-Aug-13 21:37:43

I'm in Cornwall, it's cornish for James. Friend's little boy is one!

TenthMuse Wed 14-Aug-13 22:17:08

Really like it. Don't see it as overly posh - more arty/creative. Don't have any Cornish connections whatsoever, though, plus our surname starts with J, so I don't think we could use it. Great name though!

kiwik Thu 15-Aug-13 02:55:52

My DCs each have a Cornish name to honour their heritage.
Jago is on the list if one of DC4/5 happens to be a boy.

EugenesAxe Thu 15-Aug-13 03:15:20

It's OK if you're Cornish. The first time I experienced it was in a programme with this kind of Cockney accented girl who was always talking about Jai-go and it's always jarred somewhat after that.

There's a cute book called The Ferry Birds (author Dunmore) that features a Jago... that partially resurrected it for me. I sound a complete snob. But honestly, say it with an Ian Beale accent and see if it doesn't put you off.

Ironically DH is Cornish but called James. Although staunchly loyal in most respects, the Cornish version must have been too rustic for PIL.

NewAtThisMalarky Thu 15-Aug-13 06:38:50

Its the name of a vodka cream drink (Baileys style)

Its really rather lovely (the drink).

I've never heard of it as a name, but I like the fact its a local traditional type name.

ch1134 Thu 15-Aug-13 10:27:42

I am Cornish and grew up with a few Jagos... every one of them was really naughty and a right pain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now