Two very different boys names

(33 Posts)
workingtitle Fri 21-Jun-13 13:34:20

We can only find two boys names that we like (compared with the 20 plus options we had for a girl...damn!)

I'd welcome friendly/helpful opinions, I am well aware they won't be to all/many people's tastes! Also, any alternatives? We'd like something French or Welsh ideally, but have been through endless lists and haven't been able to add to the shortlist.

name 1 is Gryffin. My concern is this is not the usual spelling, but it's the way we like it spelled. DS would be 'Gryff' day to day.

name 2 is Etienne. Concerned about how people will shorten (is Eti a horrid nn?) and that people will struggle with spelling/pronunciation?

It's likely that we'll wait to see the baby before we make a final decision!

NappiesandGladrags Mon 24-Jun-13 13:54:02

Etienne is a gorgeous sounding name.

DS is Gabriel and we have had the 'feminine sounding' comments too, however most people love it, adore it and the few that have commented otherwise need some cultural education anyway! xx

Go for it!

workingtitle Mon 24-Jun-13 12:59:08

Thanks all. We're going to stick with the two choices (but debate the spelling of gryff a bit more!) and decide when we meet him smile

CelticPromise Mon 24-Jun-13 07:44:25

Anjou Gruff in Welsh IS pronounced Griff more or less. If you wanted it pronounced Gruff as an English person would see it you'd spell it Gryff. For this reason I don't like OP's preferred spelling- looks wrong in Welsh, but then Griffin isn't a Welsh name.

<spelling pedant>

Love griffin/Griff
Fab name
also etienne is good too

TheSecondComing Sun 23-Jun-13 21:13:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anjou Sun 23-Jun-13 21:10:05

Etienne was in my top 3 for DS1 & DS2 but DH and several friends said they felt it was just to French to carry off if you're not French - which I'm not. Still totally gutted about it and may insist on having it if there is ever DS3! It's a beautiful name.

Would you pronounce Gryph the welsh way, I.e 'Gruff'? I love that name, but not keen on the 'Griff' pronunciation. Just my taste.

Other Welsh names I adore are Idris and Taliesin. French names I like: Romain and Sebastien, but Etienne is my favourite by quite some way.

Good luck! smile

TrudyW Sun 23-Jun-13 20:39:26

My sister's dad was called Griff and his family was Welsh, he was one of 10 and they all had pretty cool names. Great for uniqueness too as I've never met anyone else called that.

Also like etienne and have only heard that from me liking the clothing brand etienne ozeki.

Either name is a good choice

VBisme Sun 23-Jun-13 19:30:19

Well, I don't know of any names ending in -enne that aren't French in origin.

Trazzletoes Sun 23-Jun-13 19:18:09

VB can you think of another boy's name used in the UK that ends in -enne?

Can you think of any girl's names...

VBisme Sun 23-Jun-13 16:32:29

Not sure why people think Etienne is feminine?

The only versions I know are St Etienne the band (London band named after the French football team) and St Etienne the football team (allez le verte), and Saint Etienne the saint, (St Stephen).

fussychica Sun 23-Jun-13 16:23:16

Etienne is lovely - I actually like Stephen or Stefan too. Like Gryff without the in!

VBisme Sun 23-Jun-13 14:11:05

Etienne is lovely (French equivalent of Stephen), I much prefer the full welsh Gruffydd than Gryffin.

HoneyandRum Sun 23-Jun-13 14:05:31

I know a just turned 5 year old Griffin (this is his spelling) he is adorable and very masculine. In my ignorance I thought Etienne was a female name and I think this will be the case for most people in English speaking countries. Do you want your son explaining his name almost daily for the rest of his life? A criteria when choosing a name for our son was that he wouldn't be embarrassed or have to explain himself when chatting a girl up. Also will it work whatever line of work he chooses? Can it be yelled across a building site, office or hospital and not raise a snigger or confusion?

bugsybill Sat 22-Jun-13 12:51:11

I think Etienne, particulary nn Eti sounds very feminine as well which is why I like Gryff

Trazzletoes Sat 22-Jun-13 09:16:38

chicken it's the French version of Stephen. Definitely a boy's name, but DH would agree with you.

chickensaladagain Sat 22-Jun-13 08:48:45

Etienne to my ears sounds very feminine

I have no knowledge off French because I'm a philistine but I would assume girl

raisah Sat 22-Jun-13 08:43:43

Why not just go with Gryff as its recognisable as a name in its own right.
Etienne is lovely.

workingtitle Sat 22-Jun-13 08:11:44

Just wanted to say thank you very much, it's been helpful/reassuring to post smile

Startail Sat 22-Jun-13 00:01:19

Etienne is lovely. Eti is cute.

bugsybill Fri 21-Jun-13 23:54:36

I prefer gryff as a full name. Very nice, I don't think you need to use gryffin.

wigglesrock Fri 21-Jun-13 20:25:42

I really really like the name Etienne - I wouldn't worry too much about the pronunciation. People usually only need told once smile. We had always joked that we would use it - it's French for my husband's name. We had daughters.

Arwhen Fri 21-Jun-13 16:07:24

I really like Gryffin/Gryff. It will be easier for people I spell/pronounce than Etienne.

Justfornowitwilldo Fri 21-Jun-13 15:20:40

Tristan is Welsh and used in France.

workingtitle Fri 21-Jun-13 14:09:51

Hi Celtic, you're right--it would be Gruffydd (equivalent of Griffith) - Gryffin is a variant (I think!!)

Trazzletoes Fri 21-Jun-13 14:07:56

I love Etienne and it was on my list for DS but it was vetoed for sounding too feminine sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now