Friend has just named their new DD...

(107 Posts)
itsjustnotagoodidea Fri 21-Jun-13 01:57:02

Myra.

First thought is Hindley as I imagine most people would. Friends are not from UK but live here so may not know the connection. Would you mention it to them before they register the baby? Poor child will have no end of nasty teasing throughout school. It's not the sort of crime that will ever be forgotten.

ZenGardener Sat 22-Jun-13 07:14:25

But they've already named her.

I would say something if she was still pg and thinking about the name but I think once a baby has been born and named then it is better to shut up and say nothing.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 21-Jun-13 23:56:43

I'm 24 and thought Hindley immediately. It will take more than one or two generations to make that name acceptable again I think

ScentedCandlestickMaker Fri 21-Jun-13 23:53:20

Apologies to any Martins. I know it is not the same as calling your child Myra.

ScentedCandlestickMaker Fri 21-Jun-13 23:52:51

I think people who aren't living in their own country and have missed the cultural references should be given a headsup. Not in the same league at all but my French friend wanted to call her baby Martin and I told her no no no no no darling. just no Now that she has been in Ireland a lot longer she is grateful.

TheSecondComing Fri 21-Jun-13 23:50:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thequeenmary Fri 21-Jun-13 23:49:41

25 - automatically thought Hindley

bugsybill Fri 21-Jun-13 23:45:39

How would you tactfully say something about it though?

I think when it comes to names parents will either take 'constructive' criticism /comments to be patronising or just straight critism.

If they chose the name they would have thought about it and reflected on it for awhile and possibly thought of the association and dismissed it.

I'm 27 and I immidiately thought of Myra Hindley. Therefore I would mention it. Its just unusual enough that you make that link, unlike say Rose (West) or Mary (Bell).

ShoutyCrackers Fri 21-Jun-13 22:24:20

Nobody in their right mind would use it knowing the facts. She was a really infamous evil child killer. Why on earth would you do that?

TheSecondComing Fri 21-Jun-13 22:17:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kelda Fri 21-Jun-13 22:11:49

The chances are the parents know anyway.

It's a pretty name and popular in several countries so the Hindley connection is probably totally irrelevant to them.

I really wouldn't say anything.

My child has the initials LAD. We don't live in an english speaking country, and it's unlikely we will ever live in the UK. A friend said to me after the birth 'do you know her initials spell 'lad' and she is a girl?'

I rolled my eyes and resisted a sarcastic response, saying simply 'Yes' instead.

None has ever mentioned it since.

pictish Fri 21-Jun-13 22:06:48

I know a Myra - and actually the connection has never occurred to me.

mymagaret Fri 21-Jun-13 22:04:30

Im 22 and know who Myra Hindley is but didn't think immediately of this. I thought 'pretty name' and more original than most that keep circulating. I don't think its your place to tell your friends what they should call their baby. The person makes the name their own.

Nancyclancy Fri 21-Jun-13 21:49:32

As already mentioned, strange how people don't make the connection with the name 'Jack' and 'Jack the Ripper, and other equally evil people. Yet Myra does?

SoftSheen Fri 21-Jun-13 21:48:27

How about using the alternative spelling 'Mirah'. It has the same pronunciation but the link is less obvious.

Nancyclancy Fri 21-Jun-13 21:45:49

I'm 34, as soon as I saw 'Myra' I thought Hindley. I couldn't give that name to my child. It's a nice name, just the connection.

Guadalupe Fri 21-Jun-13 21:39:05

I immediately think of a lovely woman we've rented a holiday cottage off for several years.

I can't remember if I thought of Myra Hindley when we first met. If I did it didn't last long.

thegreylady Fri 21-Jun-13 21:36:27

I would mention it and suggest Moira or even Mary as an alternative.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Fri 21-Jun-13 21:35:16

I would say something. Tactfully though.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 21-Jun-13 21:28:28

Or Mara

Essexgirlupnorth Fri 21-Jun-13 21:28:00

I thought of a girl I went to school with first. I don't think children would make the connection tbh.

WouldBeHarrietVane Fri 21-Jun-13 21:27:30

It is awful sad and most people will think of it - every teacher/dr/job interviewer eg.

Can't they call her one of these:

Maura
Moira
Maria

Instead? You could present it as a spelling issue?

RoooneyMara Fri 21-Jun-13 21:26:32

That's fascinating smile

seventiesgirl Fri 21-Jun-13 21:21:08

Myra is is lovely. Wouldn't bother me. How many Jack's are there? Ripper anyone?

AdiosMuffinTop Fri 21-Jun-13 21:17:32

WEll I was told by a black lady that it had racial under tones. 'mamie'. Look at the caricature of a mamie on the side of aunt jemima's pancake and pancake syrup. It has a totally different image over there. apparently. I was told this quite forcefully by a black American. I still doubted her. I went to check it on BabyCenter.com and she was proved right by American posters. shame, loved the name. we've been to America once since she was born.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now