Friend has just named their new DD...

(107 Posts)
itsjustnotagoodidea Fri 21-Jun-13 01:57:02

Myra.

First thought is Hindley as I imagine most people would. Friends are not from UK but live here so may not know the connection. Would you mention it to them before they register the baby? Poor child will have no end of nasty teasing throughout school. It's not the sort of crime that will ever be forgotten.

bugsybill Fri 21-Jun-13 23:45:39

How would you tactfully say something about it though?

I think when it comes to names parents will either take 'constructive' criticism /comments to be patronising or just straight critism.

If they chose the name they would have thought about it and reflected on it for awhile and possibly thought of the association and dismissed it.

thequeenmary Fri 21-Jun-13 23:49:41

25 - automatically thought Hindley

TheSecondComing Fri 21-Jun-13 23:50:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ScentedCandlestickMaker Fri 21-Jun-13 23:52:51

I think people who aren't living in their own country and have missed the cultural references should be given a headsup. Not in the same league at all but my French friend wanted to call her baby Martin and I told her no no no no no darling. just no Now that she has been in Ireland a lot longer she is grateful.

ScentedCandlestickMaker Fri 21-Jun-13 23:53:20

Apologies to any Martins. I know it is not the same as calling your child Myra.

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 21-Jun-13 23:56:43

I'm 24 and thought Hindley immediately. It will take more than one or two generations to make that name acceptable again I think

ZenGardener Sat 22-Jun-13 07:14:25

But they've already named her.

I would say something if she was still pg and thinking about the name but I think once a baby has been born and named then it is better to shut up and say nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now