Friend has just named their new DD...

(107 Posts)
itsjustnotagoodidea Fri 21-Jun-13 01:57:02

Myra.

First thought is Hindley as I imagine most people would. Friends are not from UK but live here so may not know the connection. Would you mention it to them before they register the baby? Poor child will have no end of nasty teasing throughout school. It's not the sort of crime that will ever be forgotten.

I think the change will come in a few years when Ian Brady dies and the news will be filled with both their names all over again. sad

I would mention it tbh.

HoneyDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 07:24:56

See, I'd prefer Myra to Lyra. Lyra just makes me think, has sex at 13 grin

lljkk Fri 21-Jun-13 07:31:25

I would mention it, but support them in whatever decision they made.

8thplace Fri 21-Jun-13 07:58:29

I wouldn't mention it.

They have probably thought long and hard about their chosen name as we all have and if they live in the uk have probably googled it too.

I think its a lovely name. Should not be marred by one womans crimes.

miffybun73 Fri 21-Jun-13 08:01:53

I'm 39, my first thought was Myra Hindley as I've never heard of any other Myras.

Dackyduddles Fri 21-Jun-13 08:06:39

Why because the name Myra has connotations to a 45 yr old would you mention it to the parents of a newborn?

Adolf is massively different. It was a world war. Hindley was a murderer in north England.

I'm 35. I really wouldn't be bothered. I only barely know details. Nobody babies age will.

bugsybill Fri 21-Jun-13 08:12:15

I didnt think anything of it either, till I read the thread.

I work with a Myra, she is lovely.

I think because the name is less common than other serial killers it sticks with hindley. But here are loads of Peters freds roses ians that's don't have the association because they are more popular. I would leave it. A quick google by the parents would have brought up hindley I'm sure. So just leave them be, they are obviously in love with the name

Chubfuddler Fri 21-Jun-13 08:21:22

TBH it's only marred by association because it is quite an unusual name. It wasn't common before her crimes made it unusable. Therefore it has a connotation Ian simply doesn't have. Ian is a very common name.

Chubfuddler Fri 21-Jun-13 08:21:40

X posted with above.

I agree.

grin

ZenGardener Fri 21-Jun-13 08:26:58

I actually really like the name Myra. I would consider using it but my married surname goes with practically no names.

Grrrr at DH!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 21-Jun-13 08:27:51

Well, I'm 35 and my first thought was hindley too but it's their choice and we can't be swayed by one bad Myra.

The most prolific baby farm murderer was called Amelia, no one makes the connection now though.

mignonette Fri 21-Jun-13 08:30:41

I know two Myra's and i can honestly say that it had never occurred to me before now. Please don't say anything because if you do and they then choose the name anyway, it may become a bit of an elephant in the room

I doubt there will be no end of nasty teasing at school - the children won't have heard of hindley.

Only a handful know who 'princess Diana' is as they were all born after her death - this always surprises me somehow!

magimedi Fri 21-Jun-13 08:32:01

I am 57 & didn't make the connection at all until I read it.

I think it would be a very difficult thing to say to them.

My friend named her son Fred and my instant thought was Fred West but withing very short time, he was just Fred and I never thought about the association again.

FacebookWanker Fri 21-Jun-13 08:32:34

I'm 41 and I didn't make the connection. I just thought 'nice name'.

gingysmummy Fri 21-Jun-13 08:35:18

My mil is called Myra i'm not keen on the name but i certainly don't think of myra hindlay when i say her name

CaptainJamesTKirk Fri 21-Jun-13 08:37:28

I'm 36 and made the connection... But she's been dead for over 10 years. It's a nice name and people shouldn't be put off using it because of Hindley. Don't mention it, it's none of your business.

itsjustnotagoodidea Fri 21-Jun-13 09:53:54

I'm 31 I it was the first thing I thought of. I know a couple of other friends that also made the connection straight away and are also wondering if they should say anything. I agree it's none of my business and after reading all the replies, I won't say anything. The friends are not from the UK but live there and their daughter will be growing up there. I do feel sorry for her.

mameulah Fri 21-Jun-13 09:59:42

I'm 37 and I didn't make the connection either.

SavoyCabbage Fri 21-Jun-13 10:02:17

I know two dc called Myra. Once you know a Myra, you associate it with the child you know.

My dds teacher is called Mary Bell.

RoooneyMara Fri 21-Jun-13 10:02:40

I'd mention it. Gently - before it is registered.

TheDeadlyDonkey Fri 21-Jun-13 10:05:16

I don't understand why (seemingly) there is a taboo around the name Myra, yet not Ian. I know quite a few Ians under the age of thirty.
Also Fred - a few years ago, you couldn't move for little Fred/Freddies, obviously the name wasn't spoiled by Fred West.

There are serial killers with all sorts of names that are still in common use.
Myra is a name, a perfectly good name, with many positive connections. If you are so worried about it, educate yourself and find Myras that can give you positive associations, rather than focusing on one bad 'un.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now