two middle names

(20 Posts)
Bodicea Sat 15-Jun-13 19:35:31

We have always wanted to call our son James Edward. James after my grandad and Edward after DH's. The problem is our last name begins with a W and a few people have pointed out this spells out the initials JEW.
Is this a bit comedy? People seem to have a problem with it.
I don't want to swap the names round, we really want James as the first name. DH refuses to give up Edward. So thought about adding John. Thats my Dads name.
James Edward John, James John Edward?
Anyway what do people think of two middle names.
Does is seem a bit pretentious?
Would you be better putting up with those initials?

I have two middle names, so does my brother and my daughter. I don't think its petentious at all, and actually one of my friends loved it that I had two middle names that she gave all three of her kids two middle names. Go for it

Nothing wrong with two middle names. DD has two-one that we intended initially and then also MIL's name, who died while I was pregnant.

Shesparkles Sat 15-Jun-13 19:40:52

Both my kids have 2 middle names, dd has one after my mum and another which we just really liked (didn't like MIL's name so didn't want to land her with it) and ds has hid grandfather's names in the middle, which coincidentally are John Edward.
Got for it

Layl77 Sat 15-Jun-13 19:42:54

I'd be more concerned with it being jedward! Wouldn't worry about initials though not like it's rude smile

DramaAlpaca Sat 15-Jun-13 19:45:45

There's nothing wrong with two middle names, I don't see how it could be seen as pretentious. We only went with one middle name as we knew the DC would have a confirmation name later as well, which they would choose themselves.

James Edward John is really lovely - and using your dad's name would be a nice touch.

The initials wouldn't bother me, but if they bother you I'd definitely go with the second middle name.

LaChaiseVerte Sat 15-Jun-13 19:46:21

Dds, dh and I all have 2 middle names, we are far from pretentious.

I'm not at all sure JEW being your initials would be a problem regardless. Am a bit hmm about that.

Bodicea Sat 15-Jun-13 19:46:59

oh no Lay77 that hadn't even crossed my mind. NOOOOO! another spanner in the works.

Jedward are john and edward not james edward john. Don't worry about it.

Nothin wrong with two middle names, though I may be a bit biased as DS has 2 as does DH it's traditional in his family.

bugsybill Sun 16-Jun-13 01:00:21

I think 2 middle names is fine but only if the whole name is not too long.

I feel sorry for people with long names when it comes to filling out form etc. Also they might even run out of those little boxes on form if they have too many letters in their name. So if you surname is not too long it is fine otherwise I would be rethinking things.

Also I prefer James Edward John.

sashh Sun 16-Jun-13 06:13:23

Put Edward James on the birth certificate but call him James.

AmandaCooper Sun 16-Jun-13 06:43:02

By the time he's old enough to care Jedward will be a dim and distant memory.

Sheshelob Sun 16-Jun-13 06:44:37

DS has two middle names, one of which is my surname. I think it is rather nice.

MrsBucketxx Sun 16-Jun-13 06:50:34

my ds has two and my dd has three.

not pretentious at all, I like all those names.

MrsBungle Sun 16-Jun-13 06:53:12

Certainly not pretentious. I also don't think there's anything wrong with having the initials Jew.

leelteloo Sun 16-Jun-13 06:53:23

Both my dc have 2 middle names, as do dh and I: if its pretentious I had no idea?

BikeRunSki Sun 16-Jun-13 08:06:04

Not pretentious at all. Very common in my family. And nothing wrong with JEW initials either.

Turniptwirl Sun 16-Jun-13 18:12:52

Love 2 middle names, especially when one is honouring a family member

Both my DC have two middle names,we couldn't decide on just one...

But then both of us have two MN's too,so we didn't think it was a big deal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now