Rufus or Raphael/Rafael

(42 Posts)
hokeycakey Sat 15-Jun-13 08:50:37

Have recently found out we are expecting a ds. We're torn between these 2 but if anyone else has any suggestions I would love to hear them! Also I think I prefer the Rafael spelling but not sure if they would end up forever spelling out their name? I am a Susanna and have always had my name misspelt which can get annoying!

recall Wed 19-Jun-13 02:03:51

How about Redvers ? Our neighbour is called Redvers, there were only two of those last year...

recall Wed 19-Jun-13 02:01:57

Rufus….its very lovely my son is called Rufus

experimental Wed 19-Jun-13 01:50:02

Raphael definitely. Rufus is to doglike.

PurplePidjin Tue 18-Jun-13 20:37:40

Wow, Ruby we've had nothing but praise! Guess i must live in a pretentious area <eyes up fag-wielding mums screwing teats onto coke bottles>

RubyOnRails Tue 18-Jun-13 20:10:11

Yes, my Rafa ... Nobody is really enthusiastic about his name...I can tell they think we're a bit pretentious but do I care? Everybody admits they've never known one before and he's the most beautiful little thing....I like to think we broke the mould in every way. We think it conjures up...artistic, raffishness and a bit of spirit.... smile

Ok everybody, stop boaking lol

PurplePidjin Tue 18-Jun-13 18:12:54

I have a 7mo Raphael nn Rafa and apart from one daft mw who spelt it Rapheal in the hospital i took a red pen to his notes it's been spelled correctly with the occasional "is that f or ph?"

2 sporting legends, an artist and angel and his great-grandad give him plenty to look up to grin

ExhaustedMamasita Tue 18-Jun-13 17:03:48

Rufus is such a cool name!

5madthings Tue 18-Jun-13 12:47:15

I agree once past three kids an extra two hasn't made a difference, I regularly have a few extras round so end up with seven and it is fine!

If we could afford a bigger house, car and cleaner I would have another!

hokeycakey Tue 18-Jun-13 12:37:34

That's lovely! So many people tell me past 3 & it doesn't make that much difference :/

5madthings Tue 18-Jun-13 07:34:53

Four was meant to be enough for us, we had the four boys and dd was a bit of a bonus baby! grin

hokeycakey Mon 17-Jun-13 23:07:10

Ooh i love Merryn never heard that irl before it is a lovely name! Almost makes me want to have another after this in case it's a girl but I think 4 will be enough for me!

5madthings Mon 17-Jun-13 22:43:21

Love Anouk! Romilly and Clara were on our girls list.

My dd is Merryn smile

And my rudi is very cool grin

FingersCrossedLegsNot Mon 17-Jun-13 22:23:05

Rufus...love it.

hokeycakey Mon 17-Jun-13 18:57:30

Interesting! I do agree on the stats not reflecting the mumsnet world! I met one very cool Rudi when I was 14 & I think that has influenced me!

I am not due until the beginning of October so lets see what the stats say! I have 2 dd's Cleo & Anouk and I had a long list of girls name I said goodbye to sadly! From memory
Una
Gia
Hero
Elodie
Romilly
Holiday
Celeste
Dulcie
Aria
Echo (don't think I would have had the guts!)
Clara
Nora
I'm trying to think of some more but been obsessed with boys names since finding out....

5madthings Mon 17-Jun-13 17:33:17

I a, not sure that mnet is a good way to judge popularity, my dd's name keeps being mentions down mnet but in RL there were less than 30 given her name in the year she she was born and it has stayed at about that every year since, not going up but I have see it mentioned on mnet loads!

We chose Theo and Oscar 13 and 11 years ago and they weren't popular then, but now are, but our boys have not met any their own age oy swim? Ds1 is the only Theo in his high school but in the under fives there are loads of them, ditto Oscar.

5madthings Mon 17-Jun-13 17:30:13

All the best parents have a Rudi!

It isn't that common at all but bizarrely when my rudi (ds4) started reaction the there was another rudi! Its a 60 I take tho so they are on different classes, but neither of them had ,et another rudi before and they think its cool they share a name. Even more bizarre my ds2 (almost 11) is called Oscar...the other rudi has a little brother...called...Oscar! Again the boys think this is awesome.

I like Raphael and Rafferty as well and still like Rufus.

Oh the other rudi we met was a man in his 60's who thought it was lovely to meet a little rudi as he hasn't met any before.

I dotn think it is that popular in RL, I know of my one,the other at school, one in Scotland, one in London.

It would be interesting to see the names down geographically so you could see if it was more popular depending on area.

DaveMccave Mon 17-Jun-13 17:09:43

I've just looked up stats for Rudi and am really surprised at how infrequent it is. I know of several (most online) and no Rufus's so thought it was more popular. We're big Ska fans so it might be one for consideration...

DaveMccave Mon 17-Jun-13 17:03:48

Yeah that was the decider for me. If it does get popular I still think it will be a Felix/Milo popular, not an Ethan/Oscar. And I really like the former despite it becoming more widely used. In fact as popular as Felix seems, there were still only 511 born in 2010, compared to 8427 Oliver's. A few years of that many Oliver's is a LOT. But a few years of Felix's at that number isn't so much... When are you due? I think they release the 2012 names next month!

Can I ask as we have similar taste, what girls names you had before finding out it was a boy?

Nah,everyone would laugh grin
I'd never live it down!

hokeycakey Sun 16-Jun-13 20:02:16

I know what you mean! I think its definitely a mumsnet name..... cant you rename the cat? Rudi is very cool!

I don't think it'll get hugely popular....might be a mumsnet bubble name.

Still cursing using Rudi on the cat...

hokeycakey Sun 16-Jun-13 13:25:44

I really like rafferty but I used to have these christian books about Haffertee the hamster when I was little and it reminds me of those!
I wonder how popular Rufus will become, stats for 2011 were 200 children named Rufus so not very popular but I feel as though I am hearing it a lot now and not sure if its on the way to becoming a Felix or Milo type popular unusual name!

Layl77 Sun 16-Jun-13 13:25:24

Rafael. Rufus seems doggy/ jokey to me. I like Rudi too.

DaveMccave Sun 16-Jun-13 13:13:08

Why about Rafferty with nickname Raffi? I love it but DP doesn't. (Though he likes Raphael!) We've chosen Rufus coincidently. I cringe everytime I see a thread in here though as it is becoming increasingly popular.

Rufus is on my list,I love it.
I also like Rafe...Rudi is awesome but we may have named the cat this,idiots

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now