Maria Theresa

(121 Posts)
chickenfactory Thu 13-Jun-13 12:52:30

Too holy sounding?
Can't decide on a middle name for our 2day old, any other suggestions?

kelda Mon 17-Jun-13 08:37:12

Nothing wrong with being reminded of a nun.

Maria is typically a Catholic name, with a strong traditional in Spanish speaking countries, the Low countries and Ireland etc.

My dd1 has Maria as a second name.
I know loads of people with Maria in their name -
Maria-Sophia
Marie-Louisa
Anna-Marie
Maria-Elena
Rose-Maria (Rosemie as a nickname)

Mia /Mieke are traditional nicknames.

RaRaZ Mon 17-Jun-13 09:18:02

...except she'd probably get bullied at school, Kelda , and might be a little too keen to shed her holier-than-though persona when she hits the age of 13...

kelda Mon 17-Jun-13 09:19:37

Really? Bullied for having the name Maria Theresa?

kelda Mon 17-Jun-13 09:21:39

But then if there are people on mumsent calling the name 'holier then thoguh' then I am not surprised if their children do turn out to be bullies because of a child's name.

RaRaZ Mon 17-Jun-13 09:24:48

Lol. There's a big difference between thinking a name sounds 'holier than THOU' and actually picking on someone because of it - I hope you realise that.

It may be ok where you live and where you send your child/ren to school, and I think there'd be a big difference between state and private and RC and non-RC schools too, but I certainly wouldn't give any of my children a 'saintly' sounding name because I know that around here it would set them up to be picked on, especially in their teenage years. Doesn't really matter what would happen where I live or where you live though - it's where the OP lives that matters here.

kelda Mon 17-Jun-13 09:27:44

What exactly is the problem with a Catholic name? Do you also have a problem with Islamic/Jewish names?

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Mon 17-Jun-13 09:32:42

RaRaZ As the OP has said she is Catholic I think we can presume her acquaintances would have no problem with her child being called Maria.

I have a huge problem with chavvy/surname/made up/uniquely spelled names but to presume a child would be bullied because of having a name which has been around for millennia is frankly a little bit mental.

RaRaZ Mon 17-Jun-13 09:33:14

No, I don't. Nor do I have a problem with Catholic names. I think you're missing the point somewhat. The OP asked if it too saintly sounding. Several of us replied that we thought it was. I couldn't give a monkey's about the origin of the name, but I do think it sounds too much like a nun and therefore, for me, it's not the right name. I've also stated that, in my area, it would likely inspire bullying. Yes, so might a million other things, like having red hair or speaking 'posh', but personally I wouldn't choose a name I thought my child would be picked on for. I'm not saying I'm right, but the OP asked for opinions and that was mine. I really don't see your problem.

bridgetsmum Mon 17-Jun-13 09:35:05

I love it, probably cos that's my name, grin
But I'm Maria Teresa, no 'h'

I was named after Maria in West Side Story, don't know where the Teresa came from!
Mx

RaRaZ Mon 17-Jun-13 09:35:18

TheBirds : Did she? Sorry, I must've missed that. So yes, fair point: she's likely to be attending a school where that won't be a problem.

However, if the OP asks for an opinion on whether it's too saintly, what's wrong with giving an opinion? I think it is; you may not.

kelda Mon 17-Jun-13 09:37:19

I don't think it is particularly relevant where the OP lives. Unless you live on the moon, we live in a multicultural society with many different names.

Parents from all over the world use their cultural heritage and religion as influences for their children's names.

In my son's class there a Maria and a Moses. Side by side. I really hope that no-one will ever think it is acceptable for either child to be bullied because of their name.

bridgetsmum Mon 17-Jun-13 09:38:58

P.s. I'm Irish Catholic too, but don't use my middle name in everyday so I'm just known as Maria

HahaHarrie Mon 17-Jun-13 09:42:06

Goodness RaRaZ, how depressing you live in an area that is so prejudice, ignorant, unaccepting of others and limited! Not doubt it is the parents attitude that the children are picking up on? Woe betide anyone being different by the sounds of things.

"I've also stated that, in my area, it would likely inspire bullying. Yes, so might a million other things, like having red hair or speaking 'posh', but personally I wouldn't choose a name I thought my child would be picked on for. "

Elquota Mon 17-Jun-13 09:42:53

Saying the name "sounds Catholic" definitely isn't a judgement either way, it's just an observation.

kelda Mon 17-Jun-13 09:46:11

Exactly Elquota. It is a Catholic name. And no-one should be scared of using it just because it is Catholic.

MurderOfCrows Mon 17-Jun-13 09:49:22

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

pinkje Mon 17-Jun-13 09:50:31

Maria Grace (as suggested up thread) is beautiful.

MurderOfCrows Mon 17-Jun-13 09:50:49

Forget the bullying, it's simply an uninspired, boring name.

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Mon 17-Jun-13 10:00:30

I know! Call he Maria-Maddison or Maria-Chardonnay (don't forget the hypen!!!! Tres important!) Then she'll fit in everywhere.

I think that as the OP has also said her baby is already called Maria and that she is looking for a middle name, we could perhaps leave the obnoxious comments about her choice out of it, no?

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Mon 17-Jun-13 10:01:19

I like Maria Elena (as suggested upthread) as well. They sound lovely together.

MurderOfCrows Mon 17-Jun-13 10:09:39

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

missnevermind Mon 17-Jun-13 10:17:20

Lovely name.
I am an Irish Catholic by descent and also a Theresa.

And that is Theresa - with an 'H' - full Irish spelling is what people are told when questioning the spelling.

Middle names are not used in day to day conversation. Don't let that sway your choice.

Heart7 Mon 17-Jun-13 12:40:32

It's a lovely name. I really like Theresa,I would probably go for that as the first name, but Maria is nice too. There will be no bullying a girl called Maria, it's really not unusual enough.

As for it being 'too Catholic', well that's just offensive hmm

squoosh Mon 17-Jun-13 12:43:45

I'm a Catholic and think it's too Catholic.

squoosh Mon 17-Jun-13 12:45:58

Maria on it's own is gorgeous.

Theresa has never and will never be gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now