Maria Theresa

(121 Posts)
chickenfactory Thu 13-Jun-13 12:52:30

Too holy sounding?
Can't decide on a middle name for our 2day old, any other suggestions?

chickenfactory Sat 15-Jun-13 05:38:14

Bf little Maria sorry!
I like Maria Louise but I have a good friend Louise and and wouldn't want it to be after her if that makes sense?

nooka Sat 15-Jun-13 05:53:15

I went to a catholic school which mainly drew from an Irish area, and i agree with many others that that is a very Catholic combination.

I actually really like Maria but I'd opt for something less traditional as a middle name

AlanMoore Sat 15-Jun-13 07:35:10

I love Maria (was my first choice for dd) and you can't go wrong with it IMO. Maria Elizabeth is nice...I do like Theresa though!

HahaHarrie Sat 15-Jun-13 08:36:12

So an overtly Catholic name is something to which to be wary? hmm

Good luck with your baby naming OP. Both names are lovely.

burberryqueen Sat 15-Jun-13 08:39:43

I knew a girl called this and everyone called her 'Maytree' if that is interesting?

Scarletbanner Sat 15-Jun-13 08:55:37

Hapsburg Empress for me too. It also reminds me of M-T Street which is the main shopping street in Innsbruck (and probably lots of Central European cities).

I really like Maria Louisa (which can also become Marisa) and Maria Catherine.

I did wonder that Harrie. There is a touch of "ooh no too Catholic" on here.

HesterShaw Sat 15-Jun-13 09:04:42

I agree partly - we have no idea if the OP is a Catholic or not, so therefore assuming she wouldn't want to name her child because it's a Catholic name is a little bit off.

However, if she ISN'T Catholic and ISN'T aware that's a very Catholic name then she MIGHT want to avoid it.

HesterShaw Sat 15-Jun-13 09:05:38

However like I and a couple of others have said the name sounds to our ears mainly like the name of an eighteenth century Empress, and therefore may be a little "weighty" for a little baby smile

mikkii Sat 15-Jun-13 09:09:42

My husband has a cousin called Maria, then for middle name Del Mar meaning of the sea in Spanish

I taught a Catholic Austrian girl called Marie Therese. It got shortened to Marie quite a lot. Lovely name smile

I also knew a German family who had several daughters and they were all called Marie Something, but went by the Something.

RubyOnRails Sat 15-Jun-13 09:16:53

Why is everybody so worried about sounding catholic?? Would you say "oooh no, maybe it sounds a bit Jewish?"

Last bastion of prejudice in this country.

OryxCrake Sat 15-Jun-13 09:21:15

Maria Theresa is pretty - and shortens straight away in my mind as Mattie. Personally prefer Teresa to Theresa...

OryxCrake Sat 15-Jun-13 09:22:51

to Mattie

AnnoyedAtWork Sat 15-Jun-13 09:23:41

Love it

My grandma's best friend was called this she was a very warm and elegant lady

kelda Sat 15-Jun-13 09:23:41

Maria Theresa is lovely.

Maïté is the Spanish nickname.

agendabender Sat 15-Jun-13 09:30:01

I really like it, but I am an Irish Catholic. I have an aunt called "Marie Louise" and she uses the whole thing, but it's pronounced "Marry-Louise." I always think it's quite pretty.

Floralnomad Sat 15-Jun-13 09:31:30

Maria Grace

HesterShaw Sat 15-Jun-13 10:22:53

To qualify my statement above, there was nothing remotely anti Catholic about it. Apologies if it looked it was.

Maria Emily, that was my first thought.

Are there no family names or meanings that you would like to find a name to give as a middle name.

I do think Maria Theresa sounds like a nuns name, I guess it doesn't really matter in the whole scheme of things.
Is there a reason why you chose Theresa?

chickenfactory Mon 17-Jun-13 05:11:04

I like emily actually, forgot it was one if my options for a first name.
Theresa is a name of both sides of the family but neither person is bothered if we use it, they don't really like it themselves. Hence the question if we lumber her with the same!
We are catholic if that makes a difference.

ZZZenagain Mon 17-Jun-13 05:35:27

Theresa is just the middle name. She'd be Maria to everyone. I like it.

Eastpoint Mon 17-Jun-13 05:39:05

What about Maria Scarlett? Is there a non-traditional name you like? Do either of you have any different cultural reference points you can pull in? Eg if any Spanish Ines, Gwenyth & Wales, Danish Astrid

What about Maria Maude?

sashh Mon 17-Jun-13 07:53:47

Makes me think of a nun, sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now