Emmeline?

(32 Posts)
Iusedtowearmakeup Thu 13-Jun-13 07:55:27

What are your thoughts? How would you pronounce it?
Would the fact that there are a few different pronunciations put you off using it?

cogitosum Thu 13-Jun-13 07:58:36

Love it! Pregnant with ds1 and this was my girl name before the scan!

I pronounced it Emma-Leene but I think a lot of people just hear Emily so be ready to correct a lot!

I like it and I know one that's pronounced to sound like Emily IYSWIM. But I think that might cause a problem that people will mistake it for Emily.

ithaka Thu 13-Jun-13 08:52:09

I love it - would use Mimi as a nickname.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Thu 13-Jun-13 09:21:58

I really like it, would pn it Emma-leen.

peanutsandwich Thu 13-Jun-13 09:37:43

I know one. pn Emma-lean

WeaveTheBasket Thu 13-Jun-13 14:43:29

I would spell it Emmalene.

Clawdy Thu 13-Jun-13 15:30:56

Emma-leen. Have never heard it pronounced any other way. It's lovely, and very topical at the moment with suffragettes still in the news! Not to mention the cute A.A.Milne poem about the little girl going to see the Queen.."Emmeline
Has not been seen..."

DramaAlpaca Thu 13-Jun-13 15:32:40

Yes Emma-leen, it's lovely.

I remember the AA Milne poem as well, it's what came to mind as soon as I saw the thread title.

MisselthwaiteManor Thu 13-Jun-13 15:41:47

I would pronounce it Emmeline. I love it, it's a beautiful name.

MisselthwaiteManor Thu 13-Jun-13 15:42:25

Ha, I meant to write Emma-Leen not just type out the name while pronouncing it in my head! grin

Ledkr Thu 13-Jun-13 15:44:19

It's my daughter second name. Was it be the first but we thought shed always be Emily and couldn't be bothered to correct it. Lovely though.

I have one grin and it is Emma-Leen. You can do Emma-Line but that is a bit Americanized. It does mean people hear it as Emily but you can choose to correct or not depending on whether you care!

Also she will have her own, slightly tragic, song. Hot Chocolate.

AmandaPandtheTantrumofDoom Thu 13-Jun-13 16:09:07

Emma-Leen. How else can you say it?

I love it. Would have been a top choice for us if DH hadn't vetoed. Pretty, but with strong feminist credentials (which is big for me!). I slipped in some other feminist names in the middle instead with both DD's. grin

katolla Thu 13-Jun-13 16:14:34

# I wish it was last September.
Don't let me walk away from Emaline

Elquota Thu 13-Jun-13 16:50:03

Lovely name.

Iusedtowearmakeup Thu 13-Jun-13 18:06:20

ledkr I guess that's what's concerning us, the constant "no, not Emily, it's Emma-leeeen"
MrsTerryPratchett do you find that you are continually correcting people and do people ever call your dd by the more Americanized "line" pronunciation (which I personally don't like anywhere near as much)?

EstelleGetty Thu 13-Jun-13 19:07:30

I know a French Emeline (only one M in French spelling) and i think it's gorgeous! She definitely pronounces it Emmeh-leen, so pronouncing the second E sound, not softening it to an A sound. And she gets called Mimie for short, which is also lovely!

We do correct a lot for Emily. We never get Emma-Line and I live in North America. What do you think for shortened. Emmy is what we use and I love it.

bugsybill Fri 14-Jun-13 06:03:22

I wouldn't use it because it will often be mistaken for Emily which is the more popular name, but if that doesn't concern you then use it.

Why not use Emily?

TheYamiOfYawn Fri 14-Jun-13 06:17:45

Love it. Pronounced Emm-e-leen, like the sufferagette.

Iusedtowearmakeup Fri 14-Jun-13 11:56:39

Good to see the unanimous "leen" pronunciation. Certainly very positive feedback so far (apart from the possible misinterpretation as Emily).
Really like the name, but still considering a couple of others. Interested to hear any further comments, good or bad......also any other name suggestions welcome.
Baby due v soon smile!

IvanaCake Fri 14-Jun-13 21:29:51

I have a friend with an emmeline and she has to correct people who assume Emily a lot. The end also gets pronounced as line (as in straight line) instead of leen a lot.

mummybare Fri 14-Jun-13 21:43:15

I think it's beautiful. I was very disappointed when DH wasn't keen. Lots of nicknames, good associations, pretty yet strong. Go for it!

MyCatsRule Fri 14-Jun-13 21:52:29

I know a grown up Emmeline. I love it! She's Emmy for short. I think it sounds different to Emily - the 'leen' bit at the end is quite distinct. Beautiful name. Very classy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now