Agnetha?

(9 Posts)
LanternGirl Wed 12-Jun-13 17:49:53

Just watched an Abba documentary, and thought Agnetha (pn An-yetta) is a beautiful name, and could have Anna/Annie as a nn. Have no Swedish/Scandinavian association, just love the name. Could you justly use it in the UK do you think?

LaGuerta Wed 12-Jun-13 18:32:12

Agree that it's lovely but too closely associated with ABBA for me. I think you would get a lot of Benni, Bjorn and Freida jokes.

Rhubarbgarden Wed 12-Jun-13 19:27:29

It's a lovely name but unless you have Scandinavian connections, I wouldn't.

squoosh Wed 12-Jun-13 19:46:14

I'd assume you were an Abba fan. Then I'd back away slowly.

Leeds2 Wed 12-Jun-13 20:25:37

I quite like it. But I think you would get a lot of Agathas written down, and spoken.

Elquota Wed 12-Jun-13 20:33:28

I like it, but I think people who aren't into ABBA would pronounce it Agg-nee-tha and you'd have to keep correcting them.

How about Annetta or Anya?

elemis Wed 12-Jun-13 23:03:09

Love it, was thinking the same myself

Another option would be Agnes, pronounced An-yes
Think it's Dutch?

FatherSpodoKomodo Wed 12-Jun-13 23:06:31

I think it's really pretty, but I always pronounced it as Ag-nee-tha before I heard how it was actually said.

I would think you were either Swedish or a big Abba fan.

BackforGood Wed 12-Jun-13 23:10:21

As soon as I saw the title, I thought... bet she's just been watching the ABBA programme grin
Even Agnetha herself started the programme by saying that her name was difficult to pronounce for anyone who is not Swedish.
Personally I wouldn't name a child anything that I knew from the outset was going to cause them difficulty throughout their lives.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now