Compatible with our surname?

(35 Posts)
ImaginaryHat Tue 11-Jun-13 11:28:30

Hi. Hubby and I are currently ttc dc1 and conversation has inevitably turned to baby names.

Our surname is one of the most common around: Lee.

This obviously rules out any names which end with a 'lee' sound, Holly, Julie, Harley etc (plus a load of others, including anything ending in -bel, l, and anything which when combined with surname sounds like another word e.g. Mary).

My question is, do you think we also need to rule out names ending in an 'e' sound. Names like Zachary, Ivy, Harry? They're slightly are slightly ryhmey but do you think too much so to use?

Were already having to rule out a lot of names so don't want to discount another group if were just being stupid! Would love to get some opinions! Thanks

OneMoreCupOfTeaFirst Wed 12-Jun-13 16:36:26

Frederick (Freddie)
Nicholas
Dominic

Margaret (Maggie)
Juliet
Susannah

Classic three syllable names, so that you're sure of what you heard.

LanternGirl Wed 12-Jun-13 17:53:56

Hi OP. We have the same surname. Its the worst - ruled out so many of my favourite names.

ImaginaryHat Wed 12-Jun-13 18:56:23

Wow so much to think about, thanks for sharing your own experiences and the advice!

LanternGirl I feel your pain, I really want a little Zachary! sad Have you managed to come up with a shortlist of names you love?

fussychica Wed 12-Jun-13 19:47:43

If you want a name that can't be shortened how about
Adam Lee

or ones that can but go
Aiden
Benjamin
Michael
Jonathan
Nathan
Daniel
Robert

ThisIsYourSong Thu 13-Jun-13 00:54:19

Do you like Dylan? I think that sounds great and can't be shortened.

I do think we tend to overthink our own children's names somewhat. I was in a similar situation where I love lots of names ending with 'n' but so does our surname. I ended up choosing Aidan which does rhyme a bit (think surname like Lennon) and am not sorry we chose it.

ThisIsYourSong Thu 13-Jun-13 00:58:05

e.g. I recently read a book where the main character was called Henry Lee. I never once thought 'that rhymes' although obviously wasn't saying it out loud

ImaginaryHat Thu 13-Jun-13 16:18:50

I do like Adam, Benjamin and Nathan, they're going on the list! Dylan I can't make my mind up on, its a really nice name (and me and dh both love Bob!) but to me its a bit surname firstnamey. I know that's stupid as its a widely recognised first name but I'd never heard it other than as a surname til I was at least in my mid teens so I found it strange to suddenly start hearing it as a first name. Its one to ponder on I think!

amazingmumof6 Fri 14-Jun-13 08:27:06

Jonathan Lee

or for a whacky idea

Cooper Lee

( my tired brain keeps goin back to Bruce, Quarter, Proper, Dairy etcgrin sorry! )

for a girl:
Natasha Lee

ThisIsYourSong Fri 14-Jun-13 08:45:27

I guess with the last name thing you could possibly get some confusion about which is which.

Do you like Riordan? I think it's a big of a mouthful at first but you soon get used to it.

FussandMess Sat 15-Jun-13 11:43:00

Alicia Lee? Does that work?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now