French or Irish middle name to go with Isobel

(48 Posts)
PollyJane Sat 08-Jun-13 12:33:18

Surname Dennehy.

We know Isobel is popular, but it is a contender anyway as it is too gorgeous (to me) to let go of.
Not keen on the frillier spellings of the first name, but can go ''all out'' on the middle name.

I like Isobel Eilidh and Isobel Mathilde but was after more options....

TYIA. smile

Penny6Pence Sat 08-Jun-13 20:39:26

Isobel Aoibhe (pn Ee-veh)

Dd's name, so biased!

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Sat 08-Jun-13 21:03:19

It is my first name, and I have a 3-syllable surname. My middle name is 1-syllable which I think sounds good, in a runs-together-well sort of way.

It is actually a French name, but I don't want to out myself entirely! It's currently very popular in France for girls, and there's a male and female version (I have the female).

By the way, ahem, Isobel is not a 'timeless' name. grin It's a very cyclical name that goes in and out of fashion, with a bang. It was most certainly not fashionable when I was given it in the 70s! Just something to think about.

How about Caoimhe?

www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/0/Caoimhe

It means gentle, beautiful. There are other ways to spell it Keeva, Keva etc just a thought.

There is also Niamh, pronounced 'nee-iv or neev':

http://www.babynamesofireland.com/niamh

Or even Iona, which is my friends little sisters name and means blessed, very pretty and short name too.

Last irish offering is Roisin, which is pronounced Rosheen. My sisters friend is named this (I do originally come from Ireland, it is true).

Some nice French names:
Adele
Aimee
Renee
Sophia

lottiegarbanzo Sun 09-Jun-13 09:05:29

I love Camille (so much nicer than Camilla). Would work, though lots of Ls.

Irrelevant I'm sure but I understand Isobel to be the Scottish spelling, is it used in Ireland too?

PollyJane Sun 09-Jun-13 09:38:15

Hi Lottie - we are not in Ireland atm, but DH is Irish. From all accounts it is actually not that popular a name in Ireland (Galway) (got SIL to do some checking for me!). That is just our experience of the name. We will be moving back to Ireland when LO is three months old and living in Cork, so I am sure I will be better placed to judge the popularity of names then smile

We just prefer the Isobel spelling, to my eyes it looks 'cleaner'. I am the same with Annabel/Annabelle, Vivien/Vivienne. Just my preference smile

PollyJane Sun 09-Jun-13 09:38:59

I love Iona - I also love Isolde but I think two "I"s is too much smile

lottiegarbanzo Sun 09-Jun-13 12:48:04

How about Anouk?

lottiegarbanzo Sun 09-Jun-13 13:03:21

Or, a bit off theme but - Frances.

Francis / Frances will probably become more popular in Ireland because of the Pope, so there's a current reference linking it to this year, as well as being relevant to both countries.

MasterOfTheYoniverse Sun 09-Jun-13 13:15:49

Clarisse
Justine

MsAkimbo Sun 09-Jun-13 13:50:56

Maeve would be pretty. Or Maeva, the French version. Ace name btw smile

PollyJane Sun 09-Jun-13 15:50:11

Lottie, that idea appeals to me immensely - I love it said and written down smile Cannot wait til DH gets back from fishing! smile

3boysgirlontheway Mon 10-Jun-13 03:08:49

I am from Cork and Isobel is the most popular spelling here. It's a lovely name, popular but, that's because it is so nice.

I cannot imagine any Irish people (of childbearing age) being influenced by the name of the pope when naming their babies.

mathanxiety Mon 10-Jun-13 03:23:20

Isobel Aoife
Isobel Aisling (pr Ashling)
Isobel Emer (pr Ee-mer)
Isobel Eibhlin (pronounced Ev-leen)
Isobel Aoibheann (pr Eeven)
Isobel Eithne (pr Enya or Eth-neh)
Isobel Honor or Honora (old name that was always popular in Ireland and gave rise to the nn Nora)

I love Frances. It's the MN of one of my DDs who has a very popular first name.

Gooseysgirl Mon 10-Jun-13 03:35:23

Isabel/Isabella is on our list for DC2 if it's a girl... I also couldn't give a shite about the popularity of the name as it's a family name on both sides for us. The middle name will be Aoibhínn, I'm Irish and desperately wanted this as a first name for DD, but lost the battle with DH hmm

MiaowTheCat Tue 11-Jun-13 13:00:11

DD2 has Isabelle as a middle name because of family reasons (another relative has the Isobel variant and since I don't like her very much I didn't want her to think she was named after her as opposed to my gran!) - sod the popularity factor!

Didn't go for it as a first name because of potential unfortunate initial issues.

mathanxiety Tue 11-Jun-13 17:27:22

Isobel Anne
Isobel Agnes
Isobel Ines
Isobel Alice
Isobel Anastasie
Isobel Andrée
Isobel Antoinette
Isobel Antonia
Isobel Christiane
Isobel Constance
Isobel dith
Isobel Joséphine
Isobel Juliette
Isobel Madeleine
Isobel Nathalie

Some French and some English names there.

mathanxiety Tue 11-Jun-13 17:27:40

dith = Edith ...

Isobel Hélène
Isobel Aoife

But your original suggestions are really lovely.

Evi1984 Wed 12-Jun-13 22:06:46

Isobel Emer?

siluria Thu 13-Jun-13 13:43:55

mathanxiety my DD is Isobel Edith smile I LOVE her name. I will never stop loving it. I'm still pleased as punch with us for thinking of it! But it's not really French or Irish (or is it?). I also always thought I'd give my daughter an unusual name because my name is unusual and I've always liked that about it. But like you, OP, I just loved the name so much I didn't care. Go with your heart smile

Am also with you OP on frillier spellings of the name. With that spelling, as you say, Isobel isn't actually all that popular.

I think Isobel Eilidh is really gorgeous - but there are loads of lovely options on here. I like Isobel Niamh a lot.

Congratulations on your DD!

mathanxiety Thu 13-Jun-13 13:49:52

Edith is used in France, with an accent on the E. It's unusual, but Edith Piaf was quintessentially French.

siluria Fri 14-Jun-13 13:43:52

Oooh yes, Edith Piaf. I forgot about her!

Well, as the mother of an Isobel Edith I can tell you it's the best name n the whole entire world :D

I also just saw that somebody suggested Isobel Helene. I think that's gorgeous - I love the way it flows smile

mathanxiety Fri 14-Jun-13 13:47:20

I think it has a lovely ring to it and I agree about Isobel Helene too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now