A bit torn between

(44 Posts)
IneedAsockamnesty Sat 08-Jun-13 11:40:39

Oskar and blaize.

Both would have fairly meaningful reasons for choice but neither has more meaning than the other and I'm stuck help.

MortifiedAdams Sat 08-Jun-13 11:48:54

Neither. Oscar is lovely but it looks incorrect with a K in it. Blaise / Blaize is not good.

ByTheWishingWell Sat 08-Jun-13 11:51:23

Really not keen on Blaize, and I think it would date quite badly.

I think Oskar's lovely. I wouldn't change the spelling, I just thought it was the Scandinavian form of Oscar?

KittyPryde Sat 08-Jun-13 11:59:39

Ooh I like both. Oscar is boring and popular, Oskar looks much more fun. Blaize is more uncommon. I'd go for Blaize. Maybe Oskar middle name?

ladymia Sat 08-Jun-13 12:11:09

Oscar with a c

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 08-Jun-13 12:13:08

Oskar spelt with a k is how it is spelt in Germany Scandinavia Austria and Hungary.

Blaize would be after a person who was born in about 1908 about the same year as the relivant Oskar.

BabyStone Sat 08-Jun-13 12:19:20

Oscar/oskar. Im pretty sure there was a guy in a rap/mc group with the stage name Blaze (im assuming Blaize would be pronounced the same way?) so it just reminds me of that hmm

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 08-Jun-13 12:23:38

I don't even know what a mc group is grin

LanternGirl Sat 08-Jun-13 14:23:16

For a boy of a girl? Blaize is surely a girl's name, Oscar a boy? I assume you are thinking of Oskar for a girl? I actually like it, but the male version is sooo popular and established for boys.. It seems a but hard to give her a version what is now such an obvious boys name. She might be in for some playground teasing.

If Oskar for a boy, is nice (nicer than Oscar imo) but would have a lifetime of saying 'no, its Oskar with a k'.

Really dislike Blaize for either sex.

fussychica Sat 08-Jun-13 14:25:39

Isn't Blaise/Blaize usually a girls name in the UK?
Oscar/Oscar ok

GibberTheMonkey Sat 08-Jun-13 14:29:20

Is the Z because of your background (hence the k) I like Blaise
Oskar is good as long as its not the k just because its 'cool'

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 08-Jun-13 15:23:00

Both boys names and both the spelling of the people they would be named after and both these people were boys as well.

I Oskar /Oscar quite popular these days?

VBisme Sat 08-Jun-13 15:28:22

Are you currently living in the UK and planning on doing so in the future?

Unfortunately both these names are going to appear misspelt, (and people may assume that Blaize is a girls name).

On balance I'd go for Oskar, but he will spend his life in the UK explaining the spelling.

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 08-Jun-13 15:42:46

Yes we live in the uk

Neither. I like Oscar. Blaize is dreadful.

PickledInAPearTree Sat 08-Jun-13 16:11:42

I think Oscar with a k is perfectly fine.

I much prefer it to blaize, if you want to use it after someone personally is use that one as a middle.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Sat 08-Jun-13 18:35:51

Oskar first, Blaize second.

lollypopsicle Sat 08-Jun-13 20:23:54

I like Blaise. It's an underrated saints name in my opinion. Having said this, I don't like the meaning (to stutter!). Also, spelling it with a 'z' makes it appear bit made up and faddy to my mind.

Oskar is ok but again, I'd go with the traditional spelling.

Elquota Sat 08-Jun-13 21:37:57

I quite like Blaize! Don't like Oscar at all, I find it rather stuffy.

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 08-Jun-13 23:47:18

Lolly with my family Oskar is the traditional way Oscar is just the English way.

Myliferocks Sat 08-Jun-13 23:54:40

I know a Blaize.
She's lovely little girl.

Myliferocks Sat 08-Jun-13 23:55:09

She's a lovely

NatashaBee Sat 08-Jun-13 23:59:28

I would assume Blaize was a girl, don't like it for a boy although it's great for a girl. Oskar/ Oscar is lovely for a boy.

lollypopsicle Sun 09-Jun-13 11:43:58

FWIW I see Blaise/Blaize as a boy's name primarily as St Blaise was male. Also, I know a boy Blaise. Don't think there's anything wrong with a name that could be either sex.

socks if the spelling has meaning for you then I agree that should be the spelling you go for.smile

bananaramma Sun 09-Jun-13 13:06:14

Blaize/Blaise is a lovely name. Oscar is a little dull/overused in comparison and I'm not keen on nicknames Os/Ossie.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now