Lachlan ? (or variant of?)

(30 Posts)
Fuckwittery Fri 07-Jun-13 15:08:21

Think its a scottish gaelic name
Lochlann the Irish gaelic name - I like this spelling
Is it too confusing to have too many spellings?
Lachlan / Lachlann / Lochlan / Lochlann
I also like Locky as a nickname!

We have an Irish surname but the baby will only be 1/4 Irish.
We have given one of our DC an anglicised version of a gaelic name already
Lochlann means god of the lochs, which I like
Am I overthinking the meaning and the spelling?

Do you like the name?

Gooseysgirl Sat 15-Jun-13 07:30:04

Oooooo yes Spot I remember Lachie (swoon)

Gooseysgirl Sat 15-Jun-13 07:29:16

Absolutely love it but I'm biased... my Godson is called Lochlann grin It's a fine strong name

Layl77 Fri 14-Jun-13 22:10:49

Love Lachlan nn locky! Lorcan sounds like a bird

Xiaoxiong Fri 14-Jun-13 21:56:14

I love it too, my cousin's just named her son Lachlan.

We know a Locryn which is pronounced just like Lachlan but with an r instead of an l. They're a Cornish family so maybe that's the Cornish version and spelling.

WeAreEternal Fri 14-Jun-13 07:17:15

I love the name.

JamInMyWellies Fri 14-Jun-13 06:57:17

I have a Lachlan. I live Sth of the border but am Scots. We pronounce it like a Scottish loch not a hard K sound but unfortunately not everyone makes the effort to say it properly inc my FIL which drives drive me bonkers. We also shorten it to Lachie or Lachs.

RubyOnRails Fri 14-Jun-13 06:46:24

Lachlan is a great name.

fuckwittery Fri 14-Jun-13 06:39:04

spot think however it is spelt it is pronounced lock-lin

LondonBus Thu 13-Jun-13 22:00:24

Oooooh, I love it however it's spelled!

Lochlan nn Locky is my favourite.

(I like that Australian kids program with the boy called Locky smile)

Lorcan is just awful, though.

highlandbird Thu 13-Jun-13 21:52:27

I love Lachlan! Quite a popular name in Scotland, we had it on our list for DS2 but decided against in the end as there are 3 in nursery with DS1, would assume its much less popular south of the border though. Generally shortened to Lachie here.

spotscotch Thu 13-Jun-13 21:43:38

I really like Lachlan, but am very confused about its various pronunciations, especially as on here it seems to be absolute sacrilege to pronounce it the wrong way with the different spellings.

Can anyone enlighten me?

As an aside the other day I was looking at Wikipedia articles about old home and away characters (too much spare time, it had started by googling isla Fisher!) And was reminded of the lushness that was Lachie the doctor in home and away!

sleepingbeautiful Wed 12-Jun-13 06:51:10

V popular in Canada and Australia and anywhere else people can claim a sniff of Scottish ancestry. I know 3 Canadian Lachlans. Don't know any in England.

Gullygirl Wed 12-Jun-13 04:45:01

I like Lachlan, when pronounced in the proper Scottish way,although over here in Australia it is pronounced "Laklin".Locky for short,which I hate.

Strokethefurrywall Wed 12-Jun-13 01:56:26

I wanted Lachlan for DS but DH vetoed it so we named DS Carter instead. I've always loved the name, and it's definitely going back on the list for the next one along with Sullivan.

Lachlan is just one of those names that you hear and think "oooh, cool name" - it's awesome!

I like Lachlan, but love Lorcan <<wonders whether DH can be talked into DC4 just so I get a 50% chance of using it grin>>

Fuckwittery Fri 07-Jun-13 23:29:32

Yes I read that while googling MissPlum funny how it hasnt taken off here in the same way.

Another variety: Lochan ?

MissPlumBroughtALadder Fri 07-Jun-13 18:27:29

Lachlan is massively popular in Australia, I think has been the top boys name for the last ten years or something.

Turniptwirl Fri 07-Jun-13 18:23:35

I absolutely love Lorcan!

I know a little Lachlan in Wales who is known as locky and I think it's a fab name

FortyFacedFuckers Fri 07-Jun-13 17:34:11

I love this name and nickname it is very high on my list if I ever have another DS I would probably use Lachlan spelling grin

Fuckwittery Fri 07-Jun-13 17:04:02

lol at the Irish equivalent of Derek

squoosh Fri 07-Jun-13 16:59:35

Sorry to all the Lorcans out there but all the ones I've ever met have been so wet.

To me it's the Irish equivalent of Nigel or Derek.

Lorcan is such a beautiful name.

Much nicer than Lachlan in any variation imo.

squoosh Fri 07-Jun-13 16:54:24

I like it but only if it's pronounced the Irish way with a lock sound rather than the Scottish prounciation which has a lack sound.

It can also be spelt Loughlin.

candycrushhater Fri 07-Jun-13 16:18:33

I love Lachlan - my Dad was friendly with a Lachlan in his younger days. In Scotland, it would generally be shortened to Lachie.

Fuckwittery Fri 07-Jun-13 16:08:06

Love Lorcan! Means "little fierce one" apparently.
Dumbledore'sgirl - I like Declan too smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now