Scottish place names

(128 Posts)
Cosydressinggown Fri 31-May-13 16:38:26

Hello - I need Scottish place names that can also be used as baby names. Any ideas??? So far I can only think of:

Isla
Harris
Lewis
Skye
Dundas

..... ?

I know a female Nairn but I think it usually has an E on the end for girls so it would be Nairne which is lovely - I also went to school with a female Moray.

Alternatively, for a girl with Harris and Skye, I'd probably go for Ailsa or Rhona.

Meringue33 Sun 02-Jun-13 03:09:42

I know a Barra

Love the poem Free

Anjou Sun 02-Jun-13 03:31:46

Ooh, yes, another island name would go well then. I know a Texa (tiny wee island off of Islay), which has grown on me lots since I first met her/heard it. Taransay looks lovely written down, but I'm not sure of the pronunciation. Would it be 'Tarasay', 'Tarasa'? Not sure. Either might work for a girl. Taransay is named after St Taran, which would work for a boy. Maybe drop the 'Saint' bit though!

Non-island ones: Corran (I know a boy named this, I think it's nice), Rannoch, Cupar? I've not been to any of these places though, so not sure what they're like or what connotations there might be! grin

I met a baby Cupar the other day!

Taransay is taran-say, with my accent the N sound is more like in, but other accents would be an iykwim. I also know a taran, who is always getting mistake for Darren. Just a heads up there.

Love his thread! I'm adding so many names to my list for non-existent DC2

Already on my list were
Mara (Gaelic meaning the sea/ocean)
Struan which has already been mentioned
Blythe, but we already have a Blair so maybe too Bl Bl!

Anjou Sun 02-Jun-13 11:04:20

Ah, thanks Glaichit. For some reason, I thought Taransay had a silent 'n' - not sure why! Also wondered if the 'ay' was pronounced the same as it is in Islay. I think Taransay pronounced as written is very pretty.

I adore the name Blythe! It was on my shortlist for both DC's but, as our surname starts with a 'J', we had to scrap it. It was DH who pointed out that its unkind to give your kid the initials BJ. grin

Anjou Sun 02-Jun-13 11:06:05

Oooops, I meant 'Glaikit' not Glaichit. Maybe that's the Gaelic spelling. smile

Please don't go with Dingwall or tain! If you've been there you'll see why!
I know a Brodie...that's a lovely name and there is a fab castle and cake place there!

GibberTheMonkey Sun 02-Jun-13 15:11:37

I think kilda would go nicely
Rockall not so much smile

Love

Kilda

Taran
Brae

(Taran and Brae have just been added to our baby names list for boys. We've been thinking Murron for a girl)

Theonlyoneiknow Sun 02-Jun-13 16:05:52

I know a Murron and a Mirren

Ooh mirren is on my list too, dh not so keen.

GoshAnneGorilla Sun 02-Jun-13 17:09:40

Wigtownshire grin

Morve(r)n

AberdeenAngusina Mon 03-Jun-13 18:03:57

There was a wee girl named Caledonia in the papers.

<adds caledonia to the ever growing list of names for imaginary baby> grin

JollyShortGiant Mon 03-Jun-13 18:56:03

I love Caledonia. And Alba. Can't get either past DH though. Mirren is on our list too, Glaikit.

I think out lists are very similar! Your DSs name was on our list for B too!

How do you feel about Mara? Everyone I mention it too screws their face up, but I love it.

JollyShortGiant Mon 03-Jun-13 19:54:43

I'm not such a fan of Mara. Top Scottish type names on our lists are Isobel, Mirren, Flora, Ramsay, Campbell, Murray. I also like Forbes, Innes and Keir. We've got until the end of August to agree though, thank goodness.

I love tha name Alba, I might try and get it on the list, got about 20 weeks to try and get DH to agree.

He's in love with Murron, I like it but I'm worried it doesn't sound pretty in my english accent. DH is scottish by the way.

Alba sounds so strong.

I really like Mara too.

weebarra Mon 03-Jun-13 20:27:41

Love Alba but DH says no. Innes and Murdo are our boy choices.
Also like Mirren but we are football fans and would always associate the name with a not very good football team.

....don't want to rain on anyone's parade (and you may not care), but where I live Mirren/Murren etc is a bit schemey.

Where are you soon? Just so I know wink! (I'm guessing west coast by your use of schemey!)

I maybe dumb but what is meant by schemey?

Ok DH has just told me.

I'm in Stirling but originally from Edinburgh - we use Schemey there too - In fat I grew up a schemey grin

My kids go to a school with a mix of kids from the naice private estate and kids from the Council scheme so get used to a variety of names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now