Scottish place names

(128 Posts)
Cosydressinggown Fri 31-May-13 16:38:26

Hello - I need Scottish place names that can also be used as baby names. Any ideas??? So far I can only think of:

..... ?

I know a female Nairn but I think it usually has an E on the end for girls so it would be Nairne which is lovely - I also went to school with a female Moray.

Alternatively, for a girl with Harris and Skye, I'd probably go for Ailsa or Rhona.

Meringue33 Sun 02-Jun-13 03:09:42

I know a Barra

Love the poem Free

Anjou Sun 02-Jun-13 03:31:46

Ooh, yes, another island name would go well then. I know a Texa (tiny wee island off of Islay), which has grown on me lots since I first met her/heard it. Taransay looks lovely written down, but I'm not sure of the pronunciation. Would it be 'Tarasay', 'Tarasa'? Not sure. Either might work for a girl. Taransay is named after St Taran, which would work for a boy. Maybe drop the 'Saint' bit though!

Non-island ones: Corran (I know a boy named this, I think it's nice), Rannoch, Cupar? I've not been to any of these places though, so not sure what they're like or what connotations there might be! grin

I met a baby Cupar the other day!

Taransay is taran-say, with my accent the N sound is more like in, but other accents would be an iykwim. I also know a taran, who is always getting mistake for Darren. Just a heads up there.

Love his thread! I'm adding so many names to my list for non-existent DC2

Already on my list were
Mara (Gaelic meaning the sea/ocean)
Struan which has already been mentioned
Blythe, but we already have a Blair so maybe too Bl Bl!

Anjou Sun 02-Jun-13 11:04:20

Ah, thanks Glaichit. For some reason, I thought Taransay had a silent 'n' - not sure why! Also wondered if the 'ay' was pronounced the same as it is in Islay. I think Taransay pronounced as written is very pretty.

I adore the name Blythe! It was on my shortlist for both DC's but, as our surname starts with a 'J', we had to scrap it. It was DH who pointed out that its unkind to give your kid the initials BJ. grin

Anjou Sun 02-Jun-13 11:06:05

Oooops, I meant 'Glaikit' not Glaichit. Maybe that's the Gaelic spelling. smile

Please don't go with Dingwall or tain! If you've been there you'll see why!
I know a Brodie...that's a lovely name and there is a fab castle and cake place there!

GibberTheMonkey Sun 02-Jun-13 15:11:37

I think kilda would go nicely
Rockall not so much smile

(Taran and Brae have just been added to our baby names list for boys. We've been thinking Murron for a girl)

Theonlyoneiknow Sun 02-Jun-13 16:05:52

I know a Murron and a Mirren

Ooh mirren is on my list too, dh not so keen.

GoshAnneGorilla Sun 02-Jun-13 17:09:40

Wigtownshire grin

AberdeenAngusina Mon 03-Jun-13 18:03:57

There was a wee girl named Caledonia in the papers.

<adds caledonia to the ever growing list of names for imaginary baby> grin

JollyShortGiant Mon 03-Jun-13 18:56:03

I love Caledonia. And Alba. Can't get either past DH though. Mirren is on our list too, Glaikit.

I think out lists are very similar! Your DSs name was on our list for B too!

How do you feel about Mara? Everyone I mention it too screws their face up, but I love it.

JollyShortGiant Mon 03-Jun-13 19:54:43

I'm not such a fan of Mara. Top Scottish type names on our lists are Isobel, Mirren, Flora, Ramsay, Campbell, Murray. I also like Forbes, Innes and Keir. We've got until the end of August to agree though, thank goodness.

I love tha name Alba, I might try and get it on the list, got about 20 weeks to try and get DH to agree.

He's in love with Murron, I like it but I'm worried it doesn't sound pretty in my english accent. DH is scottish by the way.

Alba sounds so strong.

I really like Mara too.

weebarra Mon 03-Jun-13 20:27:41

Love Alba but DH says no. Innes and Murdo are our boy choices.
Also like Mirren but we are football fans and would always associate the name with a not very good football team.

....don't want to rain on anyone's parade (and you may not care), but where I live Mirren/Murren etc is a bit schemey.

Where are you soon? Just so I know wink! (I'm guessing west coast by your use of schemey!)

I maybe dumb but what is meant by schemey?

Ok DH has just told me.

I'm in Stirling but originally from Edinburgh - we use Schemey there too - In fat I grew up a schemey grin

My kids go to a school with a mix of kids from the naice private estate and kids from the Council scheme so get used to a variety of names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now