Scottish place names

(128 Posts)
Cosydressinggown Fri 31-May-13 16:38:26

Hello - I need Scottish place names that can also be used as baby names. Any ideas??? So far I can only think of:

Isla
Harris
Lewis
Skye
Dundas

..... ?

JollyOrangeGiant Fri 31-May-13 20:11:42

I don't think Morayshire is a place. It is just Moray.

I love Forbes. DS has a name on one of these lists. DC2 will possibly have a Scottish placename if they're a boy.

sleepyhead Fri 31-May-13 20:17:07

Findo Gask

(Don't click if you want to hold on to the dream)

MarianForrester Fri 31-May-13 20:18:23

Afton or Clova? Both pretty girls names, I think.

MarianForrester Fri 31-May-13 20:19:59

Or Angus for a boy?

farmersdaughter Fri 31-May-13 20:21:00

Well I grew up in Moray and we have also called it Morayshire!

farmersdaughter Fri 31-May-13 20:21:37

Anyway grin

Yama Fri 31-May-13 20:21:49

Sleepyhead - gringringringringrin

Kilncadzow (pron. kil-caigie)!!! wink

Sorry farmers daughter, I'm from next door and always got a row for calling it Morayshire. grin doesn't make a difference really! I worked with a moray (spelt that way) and anyone from not around here would say MohRay. Drove him bananas.

My friend is from twatt in Shetland!

Thought of more
Fife
Blyth
Rora

Finzean (fingin)

sjuperyoni Fri 31-May-13 20:44:10

Theres a part of dundee called douglas. I used to know a douglas who stayed in douglas grin

Theonlyoneiknow Fri 31-May-13 20:45:04

I guess you are from Aberdeenshire Glakit !! I know someone who lives there :-)

Harris would have been DC2 name but it was a girl. It's also running up the popular boys names fast (might be because of Brave?)

Kilda
Sheigra
Reiff

(These are climbing places!)

Cairn
Merrick
Blaven
Lorne
Kyle
Hoy
Keir
Craig

Clyde
Forth
Dunbar

CookieB Sat 01-Jun-13 00:04:08

Strathbungo? grin Auchinairn or Milton perhaps? Arran is lovely place & lovely name on more serious note. Can anyone tell Im from Glasgow?

bouncingbelle Sat 01-Jun-13 00:19:45

Hamilton
Brodie
Moray (pronounced Murray)
Alva

WildThongsHeartString Sat 01-Jun-13 00:38:25

Mearns
Clarkston ( but not Jeremy, yuk)
Girvan

HSMMaCM Sat 01-Jun-13 00:41:02

I had Glen and Ben and Bonnie and Clyde on my list, along with Heather. Not all quite places, but Scottish.

freerangeeggs Sat 01-Jun-13 02:43:40

Makes me think of this poem by Edwin Morgan which is all made up of Scottish place names:

oa! hoy! awe! ba! mey!

who saw?

rhu saw rum. garve saw smoo. nigg saw tain. lairg saw lagg. rigg saw eigg. largs saw haggs. tongue saw luss. mull saw yell. stoer saw strone. drem saw muck. gask saw noss. unst saw cults. echt saw Banff. weem saw wick. trool saw twatt.

how far?

from largo to lunga from joppa to skibo from ratho to shona from ulva to minto from tinto to tolsta from soutra to marsco from braco to barra from alva to stobo from fogo to fada from gigha to gogo from kelso to stoma from hirta to spango.

what is it like there?

och it’s freuchie, it’s faifley, it’s wamphray, it’s frandy, it’s sliddery.

what do you do?

we foindle and fungle, we bonkle and meigle and maxpoffle. we scotstarvit, armit, wormit, and even whifflet. we play at crosstobs, leuchars, gorbals, and finfan. we scavaig, and there’s aye a bit of tilquhilly. If it’s wet, treshnish and mishnish.

what is the best of the country?

blinkbonny! airgold! thundergay!

and the worst?

scrishven, shiskine, scrabster, and snizort.

listen! what’s that?

catacol and wauchope, never heed them.

tell us about last night

well, we had a wee ferintosh and we lay on the quiraing. It was pure stontian!

but who was there?

petermoidart and craigenkenneth and cambusputtock and ecclemuchty and corriehulish and balladolly and altnacanny and clauchanvrechan and stronachlochan and auchenlachar and tighnacrankie and tilliebruaich and killieharra and invervannach and achnatudlem and machrishellach and inchtamurchan and auchterfechan and kinlochculter and ardnawhallie and invershuggle.

and what was the toast?

schiehallion! schiehallion! schiehallion!

Dynababy Sat 01-Jun-13 14:02:55

Stirling as in the place and Moss!

MiaowTheCat Sat 01-Jun-13 15:40:56

My real dad's middle name is Struan - he's a waste of space, not sure about the place that's his namesake!

sparrowfart23 Sat 01-Jun-13 19:29:15

I like Stirling. grin at Bonnie & Clyde as names for twins...

Cosydressinggown Sat 01-Jun-13 19:52:23

Oooh some great suggestions here (and some fabulously bonkers ones!!! grin ) - thanks!)

Yes, for my sister's babby. She has a Harris and a Skye already so has kind of got to name the third one a place name and can't think of any she likes (shortsighted!) We're Scottish. Don't know sex yet, but I think girl.

And yeah, we know a Dundas, and he's from Australia but his parents are from 'Scotland, way back' and they pronounce it wrong - DUN das (sounds like 'dunders' ) instead of Dun DAS.

She needs another island then! Some bedtime reading for her

squoosh Sat 01-Jun-13 20:41:48

Barra?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now