Henry

(25 Posts)
acheekyvimto Fri 31-May-13 23:35:21

I love Henry, its Ds's middle name and as far as I know its not used by anyone else in the school as a first name.

He has a friend called Julian but not aware of any of the other names.

Turniptwirl Thu 30-May-13 16:38:13

Henry is a lovely classic name. Of your others I only really like Christian

Astley Tue 28-May-13 14:35:57

Yep only one class per year. I had a popular name and was known by my surname as well, but by God Henry is now on a whole new league grin

Nicolaeus Tue 28-May-13 13:56:22

"2 boys in DS's classes have to use their middle names too as they have the same surname "

Bloody hell! I hope there's only 1 class in the year, otherwise who decided that one?!

Reminds me of our school year. 8 classes. 1 of which had SEVEN Jones' in it, including Tina and Catrina. why? (there was only 1 other Jones in the year who was in a different class).

Astley Tue 28-May-13 13:51:15

Oh and on DD's playgroup there were 7 out of a total of 15 children. That is just insanely common.

Astley Tue 28-May-13 13:49:03

I actually think every second boy round here is called Henry.

It's so common it's ridiculous. 2 boys in DS's classes have to use their middle names too as they have the same surname hmm

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Tue 28-May-13 13:45:18

I really dislike it as well.

And it's becoming very common, and not in a good way. Kind of like Harvey did. Once used by poshos (like Hugh, Julian etc) and then suddenly became mainstream.

Harry is much nicer.

ghosteditor Mon 27-May-13 20:31:12

I love it and it's top of my list for dc2. I met a 12 wo Henry this week and his mum said some people seem really to dislike the name.

He's the first I've met apart from one thoroughly lovely adult smile

SneezySnatcher Mon 27-May-13 20:28:26

I have one who is six weeks old.

There is only one in the school I teach at (400 children on roll).

I do think it's become more popular recently but I love it so much that it doesn't bother me.

JojoMags Sun 26-May-13 08:44:19

Henry is lovely. I only know one and have two kids in school and nursery. Also love Hal as a nn and would have used if it were not for our rubbish surname! Also love Hugh, and would've used that too, but couldn't. Really dislike Montgomery. I think the spelling looks ugly and the name pretentious (sorry). Julian is a bit raa.

poweredbytoast Sun 26-May-13 08:42:11

Sorry but I don't like it at all. There are a few at our school, all nice boys so I can't really come up with a reason for why I dislike it so much. We have 3 boys - naming them took a looooong time...

Yonionekanobe Sun 26-May-13 08:13:15

I really like it. Definitely in top three if the baby I'm expecting is a boy.

LogonMounstuart Sun 26-May-13 08:06:06

Thank you all, that all really helps. Although still undecided!

Asparagui Sun 26-May-13 07:57:26

Sorry, posted too soon. I know 2 Montys and a Huw. Also a five year wld Christian. I don't know any Julian's but I personally think there is a good reason for that.

SweepTheHalls Sun 26-May-13 07:40:32

It's my favourite name but my DH hates it sad

Asparagui Sun 26-May-13 07:24:30

I love Henry, I know one baby Henry and that is all despite having three kids. I know two M

What about Arthur (Henry VIII's brother)

Lyftiduft Sat 25-May-13 23:20:13

I know loads of little Henrys (age 2 and under). Nothing wrong with it but very popular here (East Anglia).

Like Hugh (I'd spell it the Welsh way though- Huw).

miffybun73 Fri 24-May-13 23:20:10

Henry is lovely.

I'm in NW England - I know a few Harrys, but no Henrys smile

Elquota Fri 24-May-13 23:15:59

Henry is a lovely classic name. I only know one little Henry.

OliviaMMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 24-May-13 22:39:55

I have a Henry
There is one other in his class and I think 2 others in the school of 250
So he is known as Henry Fullname but it works
It is easy to spell, easy to say (my 2 y/o calls him Henny, it's v sweet)
and it's classic.
Don't know any Julians but there's a Monty in my DS's swimming class and a Christian in the year below
HTH

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 24-May-13 22:35:48

I adore the name Henry classic, strong- lovely name but our last name begins with H and partner doesn't like the hh thing so it's been vetoed for any more future DCs

CruCru Fri 24-May-13 22:34:11

Where are you? I have a Henry. Although it has pockets of popularity (north London and towns near London) I rarely meet another one.

Lebkuchenlover Fri 24-May-13 22:32:25

I love Montgomery/Monty, Christian and Julian! All strong, classic but not overused names.

Henry is ok - quite popular and a little dull in comparison to your other suggestions.

littlepeas Fri 24-May-13 20:53:38

Henry is very nice - it's not that popular, sort of middling popularity isn't it? And very classic, so matters much less. It is the nicest on your list, though I like Hugh and Montgomery too.

LogonMounstuart Fri 24-May-13 20:49:25

Past due and no clue re a boys name. DH likes Henry. I think it may be too popular. Don't mind names in the top 100 but wouldn't want him to be one of 3 in the class.

I think Henry is ok. I also like Hugh, Christian, Julian and Montgomery but DH not keen...

Help please!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now