It's the hormones isn't it?

(44 Posts)
CheerfulYank Thu 23-May-13 19:05:56

DD is due today and DH and I have more or less settled on naming her Margaret Rose. (We'd call her Maggie.) I wanted a flower/spring type name in there and also my much-missed grandfather grew roses and they remind me of him. However, my mother hates Rose as it's her sister's name and they don't speak.

Anyway. If she's not born by Monday, I'm going in to have my water broken and move things along. Monday is our version of Remembrance Day and so...I've suddenly become obsessed with calling the baby Poppy. blush I would probably use it as a nickname for Penelope because I think it's a bit twee for a grownup.

I:m not extremely pro military or anything but I do appreciate the sacrifice and bravery of people who've died for something they believe in, and my rose growing grandfather was a veteran. Also here people use Memorial Day to honor other loved ones who have died. It's just starting to get nice out and people go to the cemeteries and plant new flowers, etc. It's sort of nice actually.

However. I think I am just caught up in the symbolism of the day...or am I? Hormones have rendered me incapable of rational thought. grin Sorry this is so long...thoughts?

Oh and I have thought of just using Margaret Poppy but I don't think they really flow. sad

CheerfulYank Sat 25-May-13 04:57:47

I do like Maggie and think it'll "fit in" with all the Maddie/Gracie/Ellie etc names around here, but will be more unusual and she'll have Margaret to fall back on. smile

mathanxiety Sat 25-May-13 05:52:35

Rosemary from upthread is a good idea -- it's the herb of remembrance plus it has Rose in it without being too In Your Face for your mother...

Wishing you all the best flowers

mathanxiety Mon 27-May-13 03:17:43

Not meaning to be a nag, but wondering how things are going??

kickassangel Mon 27-May-13 03:25:36

Ooh, Cheerful, good luck.

CheerfulYank Mon 27-May-13 03:56:30

Nothing yet! I'm going in tomorrow morning to have my water broken. It'll be about 12:30 in the afternoon your time. If the internet connection is decent I'll try to do a birth thread smile

CheerfulYank Mon 27-May-13 04:27:26

Well you're both in the US, aren't you. smile So 6:30 a.m our time.

NowPlayingZone Mon 27-May-13 10:07:04

FWIW I like Margaret Poppy.

Good luck x

mathanxiety Mon 27-May-13 21:41:42

Best wishes Cheerful -- hope all goes well and you'll be out by Thursday.

flowers

PoppyAmex Portugal Mon 27-May-13 22:07:25

Good luck, Cheerful - let us know when Margaret Rose is here! wink

AntsMarching United States Mon 27-May-13 22:25:17

Good luck Cheerful and Happy Memorial Day to you.

FWIW, I love the name Poppy and think it'd be very unusual in the US (since I never met one in the 27 years that I lived there - all southern US, I'm Carolina born and bred smile ).

Hope you get to meet her very soon!

AntsMarching United States Mon 27-May-13 22:26:43

Oh and I meant unusual in the cool but not out there sort of way.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 28-May-13 09:54:05

Best of luck for today!

Coconutty Costa Rica Tue 28-May-13 09:56:32

Margaret Penelope sounds good to me.

CheerfulYank Tue 28-May-13 11:20:11

In the end we went with Margaret Rose smile She was born yesterday at 12:46 p.m. and a whopping 9 lbs 6 oz. Her name really seems to suit her!

noblegiraffe Tue 28-May-13 11:57:36

Congratulations flowers

Lovely name smile

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Tue 28-May-13 12:01:33

bear thanks Congratulations!

PoppyAmex Portugal Tue 28-May-13 12:35:27

Congratulations, Cheerful and may I say... impeccable taste!

kickassangel Tue 28-May-13 13:02:41

Beautiful. Congratulations, and welcome to Maggie Rose

mathanxiety Tue 28-May-13 14:29:32

Wow!! Well done flowers smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now