First thing that you think of when you hear the name Ava?

(78 Posts)
Bluemonkeyspots Wed 22-May-13 21:17:02

Good or bad?

night1971 Fri 24-May-13 13:01:09

Will she be known as Ava B? Ava S? Small Ava? Blonde Ava? etc at school/nursery? She won't be the only one or two...

buzzgirly Fri 24-May-13 10:06:08

My lovely dd!! I know it's high on popularity list but it all depends where you live. Dd is 4, and I'm still meet another one.

If you love it, go for wink

Fairylea Fri 24-May-13 09:11:56

Very, very popular! I know 4 babies called it !

Gardner.

Then Myleene.

I don't actually know any Avas, oddly enough, although I know it's very popular nationally and I have children the right ages to theoretically be friends with dozens of Avas.

LittleMissLucy Fri 24-May-13 00:52:26

I like it a lot more than Eve. But friends of mine chose Eve over it as they thought Ava was reminiscent of Eva Braun....hmm

Raaraathenoisybaby Thu 23-May-13 23:11:05

Lovely but extremely popular

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Thu 23-May-13 23:06:14

Fair enough Bluemonkey and if you love it, you should go for it.

But don't forget that name popularity is far greater than the area you live in. Ava is very popular where I am, and I'm 10s of 1000s of kilometres away from you - a whole nother hemisphere, in fact! wink

When you think of names like Joanne and Claire from our generation, you don't think, 'well, it was less popular in Village X, so it didn't date as much there as it did elsewhere'. The fact is, those names are intrinsically linked with 70s and 80s babies regardless, because they were so widely used then.

I'm only adding this opinion since this is a thread asking for opinions so I don't think it is unsolicited. Just something to think about, and if you decide you love it nonetheless, then it's clearly the name for you. smile

lljkk Netherlands Thu 23-May-13 20:20:34

yr4 girl we know with same name, her or Ava Gabor (Eva? one of them)

Bluemonkeyspots Thu 23-May-13 20:02:47

Thanks everyone grin

As the baby names topic goes I think this has been a success!

I live in the arse end of nowhere and everyone is called Emma or Sam so I don't thing the whole "yawn, another one" will really apply to me.

Ava Maria

Nice name, quite popular so a lot of people must think the same smile

Charleymouse Thu 23-May-13 16:04:42

Maria

cup of tea and a biscuit?

everlong Thu 23-May-13 14:19:27

Good.

I know the sweetest 2 year old called Ava.

Pinkbeans Thu 23-May-13 14:12:13

Myleene Klass.

telsa Thu 23-May-13 13:57:44

good. pretty name which is elegant and simply and hard to shorten.

Linguaphile Thu 23-May-13 10:35:57

Overused, and that the parents probably thought they were picking something fresh and unique.

Sorry!

Norfolknway Thu 23-May-13 10:06:48

My neice. She is lovely grin

gerbilsarefun Thu 23-May-13 09:52:17

I'm a bit out of touch with popular baby names, my girls are 11 & 14 (one has a top ten name and one has a less popular name for her generation but still a classic). I like the name Ava, but then I'm a fan of classic names. smile. It's a name which would stand the test of time, great for a cute baby but still nice for a teen or a grown-up.

bulletproofgerbil Thu 23-May-13 09:25:58

Beautiful name.

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Thu 23-May-13 06:58:05

As others say, my immediate thought would be yawn, another.

kerala Thu 23-May-13 06:56:56

Disagree mothering when I first got pregnant I was set on Olivia (like everyone else) thankfully clocked how over used it was so didn't use it. First time parents without much contact with young children don't realise what has become super popular. My 3 friends with Eve's wish they hadn't.

mynameisnotmichaelcaine Thu 23-May-13 06:55:14

My dd, born in 2004, when it was only just in the top 300. Beware all you mums of Ottilies, this could happen to you!

I think it's a beautiful name. Love Eva too. Do not get why people compare it to Evie and Ellie, totally different sound and feel from those two names imo.

kerala Thu 23-May-13 06:51:51

Another one. Very popular agree this generations Claire. Rather yawn some now lost any appeal through over use.

MotheringShites Thu 23-May-13 06:51:14

I think if you really like a name you should steer very clear of these boards. As some other threads have mentioned recently, it's worse than IABU in here.

It's surprising how hurtful it actually is to see your beloved name ripped to shreds. And yes, I know people ask for opinions here but the ferocity of some of the responses is vile.

Shall steer v v v clear of here from now on.

wigglesrock Germany Thu 23-May-13 06:47:56

It's a beautiful name, I almost went with it for dd1. But at the time I thought it was too posey - dd1 is not quite 8 smile. I hadn't heard of one in years then, in fact my mil thought it was a very old fashioned name.

3MonthMaid Thu 23-May-13 03:39:21

Unfortunately I think "common - band wagon name"

I prefer Eve.

But seriously, it's the one name that you literally NEVER hear on anyone over about 8 (eastenders aside!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now