mil keeps trying to put me off my name choices..

(30 Posts)
ditsydoll Mon 20-May-13 21:41:26

We have decided on Esmé for a girl and my mil just keeps offering alternatives.
I have brushed it off until now. She has asked countless times what we've decided on for a girl and every time we give the same answer she just looks disappointed. Were not definitely having a girl but If we do I don't know if she will ever get used to the name.
I don't want her to put me off but at the same time I wouldn't like to think she hated Dds name.

Cockadoodlequack Tue 21-May-13 16:20:04

MN has taught me many things, and not discussing names before a baby is born if you wish to avoid hassle is one of them.

That said, I did discuss names with my mum before DD was born- but we didn't know if the baby was a boy or girl, and didn't firmly decide on a name until she was born only had a shortlist. And crucially, I trusted my mum to give her opinion on a name only if I asked for it and to be tackful in doing so!

In your case, I think you need to find a way stop discussing it with her. Just be vague when she asks and say you haven't really decided yet. Then call the baby what you want. Esme is lovely smile

JojoMags Tue 21-May-13 16:38:08

esme is lovely. Both my mum and MIL did a similar thing with DS1 and barely concealed their dislike of the name.We ignored them. Now he's 5 and its not an issue. With DS3 we had a name we loved and listened to their criticism (more explicit this time!). Still regret listening as it is a beautiful name. So ignore her, go with what you love and stop discussing it with her.

schplappo Tue 21-May-13 17:20:50

When our DD was born and we told MIL her name, MIL kept emailing us other names, which we ignored. She persisted with this until we told her to stop. I still don't think she likes DD's name but it didn't take too long fr her to get used to it.

Stick to your choice - it has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else.

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Wed 22-May-13 12:24:22

Is she anti your choice of name for a boy or have you kept that quiet from her?

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 22-May-13 13:58:18

Floggingmolly Tue 21-May-13 16:12:15
It's the risk you run when you share your child's name with all and sundry before they're even born. Why do people do this?

Exactly! Don't share your name choices if you don't want people's opinions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now